The mathematics of the long ball

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJ Sefton

Live, Laugh, Love
Reaction score
Here at FiveThirtyEight, we tend to think statistics can add to our understanding of sports. (What a surprise!) From the more mature sabermetric movements of baseball and basketball to growing ones in soccer and hockey, evidence-based examination has led to new thoughts and ideas about the games we love.

But there can also be a dark side to analytics. Among other potential pitfalls, interpreting the numbers incorrectly can lead to terrible decisions or encourage habits that are hard to break, particularly given the added weight that conclusions carry if they appear to emerge from hard data. For an example, look no further than the state of English soccer after it began using what appeared to be a scientific strategy.

In the latest installment in our documentary podcast series Ahead Of Their Time, we look at Charles Reep, the father of soccer analytics — and a guy who made one big, glaring mistake that changed the course of English soccer for the worse. But in order to arrive at his very wrong conclusion, he first had to radically transform the way people thought about consuming a soccer match.

There was no Opta back in 1950, no Total Shots Ratio, no Expected Goals. But there was Reep, who took it upon himself to attend every Swindon Town F.C. match that season — sometimes with a miner’s helmet on his head to better illuminate his notes — and meticulously scribble down play-by-play diagrams of how everything went down. More than 60 years before player-tracking cameras became all the rage in pro sports, Reep was mapping out primitive spatial data the old-fashioned way, by hand.

Poring over all the scraps of data he’d collected, Reep eventually came to a realization: Most goals in soccer come off of plays that were preceded by three passes or fewer. And in Reep’s mind, this basic truth of the game should dictate how teams play. The key to winning more matches seemed to be as simple as cutting down on your passing and possession time, and getting the ball downfield as quickly as possible instead. The long ball was Reep’s secret weapon.

“Not more than three passes,” Reep admonished during a 1993 interview with the BBC. “If a team tries to play football and keeps it down to not more than three passes, it will have a much higher chance of winning matches. Passing for the sake of passing can be disastrous.”

This was it: Maybe the first case in history of an actionable sports strategy derived from next-level data collection, such as it was. And Reep got more than a few important folks to listen to his ideas, too. It took him a few decades of preaching, but Reep’s recommended playing style was adopted to instant success by Wimbledon F.C. in the 1980s, and then reached the highest echelons of English soccer — channeled as it was through the combination of England manager Graham Taylor and Football Association coaching director Charles Hughes, each of whom believed in hoofing the ball up the pitch and chasing it down (and now seemed to have the data to back up their intuition). The long ball was suddenly England’s official footballing policy.

The trouble was, Reep’s theory was based on a fatally flawed premise. As I wrote two years ago, when discussing Reep’s influence on soccer analytics:

Reep’s mistake was to fixate on the percentage of goals generated by passing sequences of various lengths. Instead, he should have flipped things around, focusing on the probability that a given sequence would produce a goal. Yes, a large proportion of goals are generated on short possessions, but soccer is also fundamentally a game of short possessions and frequent turnovers. If you account for how often each sequence length occurs during the flow of play, of coursemore goals are going to come off of smaller sequences — after all, they’re easily the most common type of sequence. But that doesn’t mean a small sequence has a higher probability of leading to a goal.

To the contrary, a team’s probability of scoring goes up as it strings together more successful passes. The implication of this statistical about-face is that maintaining possession is important in soccer. There’s a good relationship between a team’s time spent in control of the ball and its ability to generate shots on target, which in turn is hugely predictive of a team’s scoring rate and, consequently, its placement in the league table. While there’s less rhyme or reason to the rate at which teams convert those scoring chances into goals, modern analysis has ascertained that possession plays a big role in creating offensive opportunities, and that effective short passing — fueled largely by having pass targets move to soft spots in the defense before ever receiving the ball — is strongly associated with building and maintaining possession.

It probably wasn’t entirely Reep’s fault when England flamed out at Euro 1992, or when they failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup. But it couldn’t have helped that they were playing a misguided style, informed by well-meaning but faulty statistical principles.

Ultimately, Reep was a cautionary tale of the damage that can be done when stats go wrong. But he was also light-years ahead of his time for tracking stats in the first place. Even though his conclusions were wrong, his instincts were right. Now, national and club teams across the globe pay for massive amounts of data that, in one way or another, come out of the tradition of soccer analytics that Charles Reep helped start. As far as legacies in the game go, you could do worse.

This is part of our new podcast series “Ahead Of Their Time,” profiling players and managers in various sports who were underappreciated in their era

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-one-mans-bad-math-helped-ruin-decades-of-english-soccer/

And most of the modern theory of possession has been totally disproven by Leicester and others like Athletico.
I'm still of the opinion that we are not yet capable of statistically analysing football. There are too many variables.
I'm not saying stats are totally useless but they're very basis raw data that needs a great deal of skill to interpret.

And most of the modern theory of possession has been totally disproven by Leicester and others like Athletico.
I'm still of the opinion that we are not yet capable of statistically analysing football. There are too many variables.
I'm not saying stats are totally useless but they're very basis raw data that needs a great deal of skill to interpret.

Lord Kelvin has a lot to answer for.

I think his maths is right but I agree with BushBlade above, football defies statistical analysis. It can help a bit, but ultimately there are too many unquantifiable variables which are too important to leave out. If you watch football long enough, and watch it live at several levels, you see that, I think. I'm currently discussing this on Facebook with a guy who thinks that Leicester didn't deserve to win the League last year in some quantifiable sense.

I also think the authors of this article know more about maths than about the history of English football. As I said on FB...

He chooses England's early exit from the 1992 Euros and non qualification for 1994 as evidence. Of course, the least successful decade for English soccer, internationally at least, was the 1970s when England failed to qualify for either the 1974 or 1978 World Cups. This was an England team that included such skilful ball players as Tony Currie and Alan Clarke. Look at the way that team took Austria apart in 1972.

Wimbledon had incredible success with the long ball tactic, true. They went from the bottom division to the top division in a few years and stayed there, and won the FA Cup in 1988 (the second final I remember clearly) all on gates of around 8,000. But, shortly before, English teams were dominating in Europe. Liverpool won the European Cup in 1977, 1978, 1981, and 1984. Brian Clough's Forest team won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980 (Clough famously said that if God had meant football to be played with the long ball he'd have put grass on the clouds). Aston Villa won it in 1982. Ipswich Town won the UEFA Cup in 1981, Suprs won it in 1984, Everton won it in 1985. None of this was done with a long ball style.

And then Heysel happened and English clubs were banned from Europe for five years.

Neither Taylor's predecessor at England, Bobby Robson (1982-1990) nor his successor Terry Venables (1994-1996) could, by any stretch of the imagination, be considered long ball merchants. Indeed, both had successful spells managing Barcelona. To say that " The long ball was suddenly England’s official footballing policy" is simply not true.

I agree with his mathematical argument, but he needs to brush up on his knowledge of English football.

I agree entirely. This is not baseball or cricket. Some of the analytics is useful, but has not proved to be revolutionary like in some other sports.

I think one of the factors not sufficiently considered is the ability of other teams to adapt, and to combat tactics regularly applied by a certain team.

For me, if Taylor had adopting a passing style during his time as England manager, the team would not have been any more successful. The style wasn't the fundamental problem at that time.

The fact that Wimbledon (and some other teams) had considerable success with the long ball style based upon Reep's theory suggests that the theory had some validity. However, over time, teams learn how to adapt and prevent that style from being successful. Similarly, Leicester's style has worked for them for one season - but it isn't a magic solution which everyone should now adopt.

One of the great things about football is that it is so fluid, that there is no single style identified as the most successful, and nor is there ever likely to be. Whatever style a team succeeds with, other teams will learn how to deal with it. To be successful, you have to be able to adapt tactics again and again.

I agree entirely. This is not baseball or cricket. Some of the analytics is useful, but has not proved to be revolutionary like in some other sports.

Sport, as the social sciences such as economics already have, is falling under the spell of Lord Kelvin as I say. He said

“When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science.”

I've long since banged on about goal mouth action as the most significant factor in affecting whether you can win a game or not.
Not too bothered about how that comes about - through ball, channel chase, cross, long throw, corner, intricate passing move, incisive counter attack.
What's very true is that if you turn over possession in the attacking third then you are far more likely to create a bit of goal mouth action than if you prat about with the fucker in your own half.
Hence the pressing game that Wilder and Knill favour.

I fecking hate the standard UEFA A Coaching style that tries to copy the tikka takka approach of the Spanish clubs - you cannot do that with players underneath the standard required - you also lose the benefit of other attributes, like height and strength, if all you plan to do is play across the back and look to walk the ball into the net.
Give me a thumping header from a peach of a cross, engineeered by a clever bit of wing play or a clever ball in between the CB and full back any day to a "walk in."
Doesn't matter how much ball retention you have - if you don't "trouble" the goal keeper you'll find it very difficult to win a game.

It's also a team game so if the sum of the parts is greater than or equal to the collective then you will have less of a chance of prevailing.
Getting well drilled partnerships and balance over the whole team is a critical element to success.
Wilder is absolutely correct in stating that hard work and application is a minimum requirement - the better players will then show their class if they compete and win their individual battles.
Even for lesser standard players if that work ethic wasn't the case then there would be no giant killing at all in cup compos.

Bloody statisticians - this feller states Reep made false conclusions from the data and then goes on to make exactly the same mistake made on ill informed assumptions.

The fact that Wimbledon (and some other teams) had considerable success with the long ball style based upon Reep's theory suggests that the theory had some validity. However, over time, teams learn how to adapt and prevent that style from being successful. Similarly, Leicester's style has worked for them for one season - but it isn't a magic solution which everyone should now adopt.

Exactly. In the 1920's it was innovative - and successful - to pull a centre half back in line with the full backs. Times change.

One thing I would love to see some proper analysis of - and I don't think any publicly available work has been done - is what makes certain managers more successful than others, aside from budget. That would be very valuable analysis.

For an alternative look at the evolution and history of the game in England, read 'Those Feet - A sensual history of English football' by David Winner (for another great read about the total football of the Dutch, his book 'brilliant orange' is superb).

I think the simplistic statistical approach ignores many factors, significantly the isolation of English football that led up to the success of Wimbledon et al and the elevation of Taylor.

I say yet again. If hoof were the way to play, the greatest teams and players the world has ever known would Hoof it. They didn't; they don't; they won't. For every alehouse Wimbledon there are a hundred successful football teams.

Leaving aside effectiveness, which proper football wins by a country mile; What about entertainment? Who do you want to watch: Pele or Vinnie Jones? Cruyff or Wally Downes? Wally fucking Downes. Who do you want orchestrating our football? Arsene Wenger or Kevin Blackwell? Kevin fucking Semipro Blackwell.

Anywhere but S2 the questions would be rhetorical, even otiose.

Kick it Long; Kick it Hard; Kick it High....

Best of order Ladies and Gentlemen, eyes down looking in for Pinchy bingo.

All the D's.....................Dinosaur Dave
High in the Sky.............Hoofwaffe

I'm not 'avin that. Hoofwaffe was one of yours.

:eek:

The major questions are: what factors in football can't be expressed as statistics, and can we control for such variables?

For instance, you may conclude that the number of shots a team has increases the number of goals they score, but at face value we all know that having your keeper shoot from his goal line will not yield positive results. Where the shots are from is a major factor, but it can be controlled for in analysis; it only widens the scope of factors to be measured and controlled for.

My best guess is that the only thing holding back statistics from playing a major role in tactical decisions is the practicality of wading through the masses of data and properly interpreting it. The nature of a game in which action is relatively very highly flowing, creates an awful lot more data and noise within that data than I expect exists in something like American football or cricket.

It's a results business. If you get a result, you did it right. Either by fair means or foul. If it upsets the theatre-goers then y'know, too bad.

Leave narrow-minded philosophies in the past.....where they belong......with the..er..dinosaurs.

MjAxMi05ZmM3YjE0NjA3OTUxNjk1.png

It's a results business. If you get a result, you did it right. Either by fair means or foul. If it upsets the theatre-goers then y'know, too bad.

Leave narrow-minded philosophies in the past.....where they belong......with the..er..dinosaurs.
Don't agree I like to be entertained with high tempo,penatrating passing football
Stick your hoof

Here at FiveThirtyEight, we tend to think statistics can add to our understanding of sports. (What a surprise!) From the more mature sabermetric movements of baseball and basketball to growing ones in soccer and hockey, evidence-based examination has led to new thoughts and ideas about the games we love.

But there can also be a dark side to analytics. Among other potential pitfalls, interpreting the numbers incorrectly can lead to terrible decisions or encourage habits that are hard to break, particularly given the added weight that conclusions carry if they appear to emerge from hard data. For an example, look no further than the state of English soccer after it began using what appeared to be a scientific strategy.

In the latest installment in our documentary podcast series Ahead Of Their Time, we look at Charles Reep, the father of soccer analytics — and a guy who made one big, glaring mistake that changed the course of English soccer for the worse. But in order to arrive at his very wrong conclusion, he first had to radically transform the way people thought about consuming a soccer match.

There was no Opta back in 1950, no Total Shots Ratio, no Expected Goals. But there was Reep, who took it upon himself to attend every Swindon Town F.C. match that season — sometimes with a miner’s helmet on his head to better illuminate his notes — and meticulously scribble down play-by-play diagrams of how everything went down. More than 60 years before player-tracking cameras became all the rage in pro sports, Reep was mapping out primitive spatial data the old-fashioned way, by hand.

Poring over all the scraps of data he’d collected, Reep eventually came to a realization: Most goals in soccer come off of plays that were preceded by three passes or fewer. And in Reep’s mind, this basic truth of the game should dictate how teams play. The key to winning more matches seemed to be as simple as cutting down on your passing and possession time, and getting the ball downfield as quickly as possible instead. The long ball was Reep’s secret weapon.

“Not more than three passes,” Reep admonished during a 1993 interview with the BBC. “If a team tries to play football and keeps it down to not more than three passes, it will have a much higher chance of winning matches. Passing for the sake of passing can be disastrous.”

This was it: Maybe the first case in history of an actionable sports strategy derived from next-level data collection, such as it was. And Reep got more than a few important folks to listen to his ideas, too. It took him a few decades of preaching, but Reep’s recommended playing style was adopted to instant success by Wimbledon F.C. in the 1980s, and then reached the highest echelons of English soccer — channeled as it was through the combination of England manager Graham Taylor and Football Association coaching director Charles Hughes, each of whom believed in hoofing the ball up the pitch and chasing it down (and now seemed to have the data to back up their intuition). The long ball was suddenly England’s official footballing policy.

The trouble was, Reep’s theory was based on a fatally flawed premise. As I wrote two years ago, when discussing Reep’s influence on soccer analytics:

Reep’s mistake was to fixate on the percentage of goals generated by passing sequences of various lengths. Instead, he should have flipped things around, focusing on the probability that a given sequence would produce a goal. Yes, a large proportion of goals are generated on short possessions, but soccer is also fundamentally a game of short possessions and frequent turnovers. If you account for how often each sequence length occurs during the flow of play, of coursemore goals are going to come off of smaller sequences — after all, they’re easily the most common type of sequence. But that doesn’t mean a small sequence has a higher probability of leading to a goal.

To the contrary, a team’s probability of scoring goes up as it strings together more successful passes. The implication of this statistical about-face is that maintaining possession is important in soccer. There’s a good relationship between a team’s time spent in control of the ball and its ability to generate shots on target, which in turn is hugely predictive of a team’s scoring rate and, consequently, its placement in the league table. While there’s less rhyme or reason to the rate at which teams convert those scoring chances into goals, modern analysis has ascertained that possession plays a big role in creating offensive opportunities, and that effective short passing — fueled largely by having pass targets move to soft spots in the defense before ever receiving the ball — is strongly associated with building and maintaining possession.

It probably wasn’t entirely Reep’s fault when England flamed out at Euro 1992, or when they failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup. But it couldn’t have helped that they were playing a misguided style, informed by well-meaning but faulty statistical principles.

Ultimately, Reep was a cautionary tale of the damage that can be done when stats go wrong. But he was also light-years ahead of his time for tracking stats in the first place. Even though his conclusions were wrong, his instincts were right. Now, national and club teams across the globe pay for massive amounts of data that, in one way or another, come out of the tradition of soccer analytics that Charles Reep helped start. As far as legacies in the game go, you could do worse.

This is part of our new podcast series “Ahead Of Their Time,” profiling players and managers in various sports who were underappreciated in their era

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-one-mans-bad-math-helped-ruin-decades-of-english-soccer/
Interesting read. I suspect you can apply statistics to football but they will need to be much more complex than the number of passess theory which just felt wrong to me when it was advanced by Taylor/Bassett/Coppell in the 80's.

Thanks for posting

There are generally held principles in football, but its not as simple as saying that one way of playing is 'statistically more successful' than another, likewise an alternative hoofed variety of football can't be totally dismissed because it is 'statistically less likely to be successful' - the majority of all statistics will be relative and dependant on not just the style of play adopted by one side, but also the style adopted by the opposition, which creates a huge amount of variability.

Back
Top Bottom