The match that made me become a committed Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
photo_4.jpg

photo_1.jpg

I wasnt at the match but saw it on YTV in the next day. Both crosses were by Woodward. Everton won the League that season. Four of their players played in the 1970 World Cup

The Dean Saunders 'off the goalie's back' match I believe.

No, that was the year before - 28/3/98. Saunders had left for Benfica by the time this one came around. We won 3-0 - Devlin, Marcelo, Hunt.

No, that was the year before - 28/3/98. Saunders had left for Benfica by the time this one came around. We won 3-0 - Devlin, Marcelo, Hunt.
:( get more and more of these wrong these days

the deano goal still makes me chuckle.

i'm suprised more people dont try and take throw ins off opponents sometimes

Ian "Chico" Hamilton (not the one that played for us between 1976 and 78)

I'm on both those pictures with my dad who was no longer a regular attender by then but who made an exception for this game.

We're by Geoff Salmons' right elbow on the top one, Keith Newton's belly-button on the bottom one.

My dad's just saying to me: "Aye, he's good is Currie but he wouldn't be fit to lace Jimmy Hagan's boots."

I wasnt at the match but saw it on YTV in the next day. Both crosses were by Woodward. Everton won the League that season. Four of their players played in the 1970 World Cup

I was at that match and it was fantastic - Woody, TC, et all...........great players, great manager and good days to be a Blade.

UTB

Silent probably has the programme. First game after our promotion, 1971-72 at home to Southampton, we won 3-0. The following Tuesday at home to Leeds, big crowd under the lights, another win. Totally hooked!

Silent probably has the programme. First game after our promotion, 1971-72 at home to Southampton, we won 3-0. The following Tuesday at home to Leeds, big crowd under the lights, another win. Totally hooked!
Bought the 1970-71 programmes from ebay so that is how I am posting the pictures here. Dont have any from 1971-72 season I am afraid. Had them until the 1980s before they "disappeared"

We beat Southampton 3-1. Woody opened the scoring with a penalty in the opening minutes, a header from Salmons gave us a 2 goal lead at the break. Brian O'Neill pulled a goal back for the Saints before Flynn made it 3-1 heading in a Woody corner

Last edited:
Bought the 1970-71 programmes from ebay so that is how I am posting the pictures here. Dont have any from 1971-72 season I am afraid. Had them until the 1980s before they "disappeared"

We beat Southampton 3-1. Woody opened the scoring with a penalty in the opening minutes, a header from Salmons gave us a 2 goal lead at the break. Brian O'Neill pulled a goal back for the Saints before Flynn made it 3-1 heading in a Woody corner

Funny how the mind plays tricks over the years. I remember all the United goals but nothing of the Southampton one.

You don't have to be committed to become a blade, but it never takes long until you are.

You mean this one chaps...image.jpg

For all the people who remember this era (and others I guess), there are two good books written by a guy called Dave Roberts - The Bromley Boys and 32 Programmes. Well worth a read. (Apologies if these have been mentioned before).

Imagine the horror when that opposition player in the 2nd photo's knob fell out of his shorts. Only surpassed when his second beef bayonette revealed itself!

Mind you, he was hung like a donkey.

No wonder you remember it silent!

UTB

The programme for the Wednesday game in 1970 depicts a local derby from, I'd say, the early sixties. Brian Richardson is the Blade to the left and I'd be fairly confident it's Cec Coldwell on the floor, face slightly obscured.

The front cover of the Leeds programme shows the aftermath of TC's goal - the only goal of the game - in our 1-0 win over them in the previous season's League Cup on September 8, 1970. A brilliant goal, a great game and I remember Alan Hodgkinson making an incredible save, tipping one over at the Kop end late on as Leeds - a top side back then - pressed for an equaliser. Mick Jones played for Leeds that night and he was typically generous after the match in his praise for United in general and Hodgy in particular. From left to right, it's Dearden, Sprake, Tudor, Hunter and (I think) Woody.

Having already learned that supporting us was going to be a lifetime of disappointment, the one that bucked the trend and cemented the relationship was the Liverpool league cup match, 1978.

Hamson!!!!!!!! :)

UTB

That Leeds game was my first trip to BDTBL too and it changed the course of my life for ever

Back
Top Bottom