The magnificent 10

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeFisher

Reaction score
What have the following clubs have in common?

Barnet, Brentford, Bury, Exeter City, Fulham, Hartlepool United, Oldham Athletic, Rochdale, Sheffield United, Shrewsbury Town?

In 50 years these are the only clubs never to have won a knock-out competition including the play-offs.

Great company eh?

and Fulham have at least made the FA cup final and the Europa League final

Did fulham win the inter toto european equivalent of the johnstones paint trophy?

• Banned
Did fulham win the inter toto european equivalent of the johnstones paint trophy?

Fulham have appeared in three Cup finals; FA Cup 1974-75 losing 2-0 to West Ham, 1975-76 Anglo Scottish Cup losing to Middlesbrough 1-0 over two legs and the 2009-10 Europa League final losing 2-1 to Atletico Madrid.

They haven't appeared in any play off final.

Barnet, Brentford, Bury, Exeter City, Fulham, Hartlepool United, Oldham Athletic, Rochdale, Sheffield United, Shrewsbury Town?

In 50 years these are the only clubs never to have won a knock-out competition including the play-offs.

Great company eh?

FFS BladeFisher, I was all up for having a go at that one and then you go and spoil it by giving the f*****g answer.
If you're going to set interesting teasers that are worthy of wasting a bit of brain juice on, at least give us a f*****g try before wrecking the f*****g thread. :mad:

That Johnstons paint thing. Thank fuck we haven't won that - a competition so shite it's not worth the petrol money to see us win it.

UTB

That's the problem. An arrogant attitude to any competition that we might win! No wonder we are such a bunch of losers. Winning breeds winning. "Oh we're Sheffield United, we're too big to bother about the JPT." Probably explains why we don't have the bottle for important games any more. :rolleyes:

That's the problem. An arrogant attitude to any competition that we might win! No wonder we are such a bunch of losers. Winning breeds winning. "Oh we're Sheffield United, we're too big to bother about the JPT." Probably explains why we don't have the bottle for important games any more. :rolleyes:
Well, either your complicated explanation, or just the straight forward one. It's a shite competition.

For some of us, desperation is more cringeworthy than arrogance.

UTB

FFS BladeFisher, I was all up for having a go at that one and then you go and spoil it by giving the f*****g answer.
If you're going to set interesting teasers that are worthy of wasting a bit of brain juice on, at least give us a f*****g try before wrecking the f*****g thread. :mad:

Tbh, I thought it was a bit too obscure. I was interested to find out all the teams that never won sod all though and that led me to undertaking the exercise. It was the company that didn't surprise me, although you could argue that we are as good as Fulham!

Well, either your complicated explanation, or just the straight forward one. It's a shite competition.

For some of us, desperation is more cringeworthy than arrogance.

UTB

What's complicated about it? Winning means winning. Fuck, glad I am not in the trenches with you! I wouldn't put SUFC above Birmingham or Bristol City, but these clubs won that competition / its predecessor and it helps to have a winning mentality. Maybe it might break the hoodoo of not scoring a goal in a Wembley final for a start since 19 bloody 25. We've had enough ruddy chances.

What's complicated about it? Winning means winning. Fuck, glad I am not in the trenches with you! I wouldn't put SUFC above Birmingham or Bristol City, but these clubs won that competition / its predecessor and it helps to have a winning mentality. Maybe it might break the hoodoo of not scoring a goal in a Wembley final for a start since 19 bloody 25. We've had enough ruddy chances.
I think I covered my hatred if the playoffs in another thread. It's the same issue - Wembley. I fucking hate it, typifying all that I hate about modern football. I have the opposite of the arrogance that you suggest - give me Boundary Park over Old Trafford any day. BUT, a lower league trophy is not enough for me want to win it at Wembley.

UTB

PS - if you knew me, I suspect you'd want me in the trench with you :)

Great company eh?

Our name just seems to blend in nicely with those other clubs nowadays:(

Great company eh?

It's actually a magnificent 8 if you include the Conference: Shrewsbury and Exeter have both won the Conference playoffs to get back into the fourth tier.

And as well as Fulham mentioned above, Oldham and Shrewsbury at least have reached finals (League Cup 1990 and Johnstone's Paint in 1996).

I think I covered my hatred if the playoffs in another thread. It's the same issue - Wembley. I fucking hate it, typifying all that I hate about modern football. I have the opposite of the arrogance that you suggest - give me Boundary Park over Old Trafford any day. BUT, a lower league trophy is not enough for me want to win it at Wembley.

UTB

PS - if you knew me, I suspect you'd want me in the trench with you :)

Alright Alco, a score draw.

Look I don't doubt that the JPT or the Armitage Shanks Urinals Shield is a tin pot competition. But to get this frigging club of ours to bastard well win something for once can we start with the simple stuff?

We are going to be in L1 next year. I would like a double celebration get promoted and win the JPT or the ASUS. 'cos winning will give us and the team confidence to do it when it matters and as the JPT precedes the play offs :rolleyes: if we need them buggers again at least we'll have won at Wembley! (Which is why if the Dingles get there I fancy their chances).

Tbh, I thought it was a bit too obscure. I was interested to find out all the teams that never won sod all though and that led me to undertaking the exercise. It was the company that didn't surprise me, although you could argue that we are as good as Fulham!
Being serious for a moment BF, I was staggered by your post.
Great stat Mate.
I would have guessed at 30 to 40 teams at least!

Back
Top Bottom