The likelihood of promotion from here

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
I've reviewed data from the previous 5 seasons to assess our chances of getting into the Play-offs from our current - 9th - position.

At a similar stage of the season this is what transpired:

2014/15......8th placed team made it into the top 6 but didn't get promoted
2013/14......7th placed team made it but didn't get promoted
2012/13......8th placed team (Yeovil) made it and won promotion
2011/12......Top 6 didn't change
2010/11......7th and 8th placed team made it and neither won promotion

Whilst statistically it looks bleak, we are a mere two points off sixth place and our league form since the Coventry game - when Adkins changed his approach - has been good (4 wins, 3 draws and one defeat). A continuation of our points return over the last 8 games would see us comfortably into the top 6.

Promotion is a long shot but Adkins has adapted and made us into a team that's hard to beat - no bad thing if we do make it to the Play-offs.

Whatever people think about the club's current governance, inquests can wait and this is surely a time to get fully behind OUR team to give them the best possible chance of promotion rather than spouting nonsense about protests.

It would be the shittest promotion season I can remember, and I would be worried about how we'd survive in the Championship. But I'd still party all night and into the next day if we won at Wembley
So would I but it would be nice to get promoted without having to spend a thousand quid (again) watching us scrape through via the playoffs.

The feeling if we won the play offs would be unprecedented.

Remembering the buzz round Wembley when we took the lead v Hull, was something I thought I would never feel, imagine actually WINNING!

Dont think we would need alcohol to increase the joy, but I`d give it a try anyway :)

It would be the shittest promotion season I can remember, and I would be worried about how we'd survive in the Championship. But I'd still party all night and into the next day if we won at Wembley

We wouldn't unless some big changes were made and even then it's not certain.

The weird thing is...despite it being a shite AND frustrating season, we aren't in that bad a position.

Who knows, que sera, lady luck, #yeahrightfuckallchance, etc etc...

I'm not hopeful but I wouldn't write it off whilst ever we are in with a shot.

The club have effectively written off this season and so have I.

Like 01/02 season just hoping we take some scalps like Wigan, Walsall and Burton before it ends.

It's depressing that I've even written that.

But a rebuild in the summer is our only hope and getting rid of cunts like Collins can't happen soon enough for me.

Thing is BoHo, that I simply cannot remember a time when this board wasnt full of finger crossing posts about keeping in touch, being there or thereabouts, just need to strengthen during the JTW/make use of the loan window (but dont forget the 93 day rule!), are coming into form at the right time, have a nice run of fixtures coming up, the pitches will start drying out etc etc etc and whilst I don't argue with the points I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of having to finger cross and wish our way to promotion. I'm tired of the way we start with Auto as the target then conveniently drop it when we are bang average yet again. I'm tired of having to pretend that the push for 50th place is somehing good, something to be excited and happy about. I'm tired of endless promises of free beer tomorrow.

I'm tired.

Like 01/02 season just hoping we take some scalps like Wigan, Walsall and Burton before it ends.

But a rebuild in the summer is our only hope and getting rid of cunts like Collins can't happen soon enough for me.
I agree LS26, the club have effectively quit on this year, so why are we still playing defensive football at home, let's go out and play the open football with passion that Nige #2 wants to play. If the has beens can't do that, they know where the door is

I'm not sure whether I want us to go up in our current state. The existing team would come straight back down and I'm not confident of sufficient investment to make the team good enough.

That being said its all likely to be irrelevant as there's little chance of us making the top
six.

I'm not sure whether I want us to go up in our current state. The existing team would come straight back down and I'm not confident of sufficient investment to make the team good enough.

That being said its all likely to be irrelevant as there's little chance of us making the top
six.

That's the part worrying thing if Collo and co perform the miracle they get rewarded with shiny new contracts in the Championship!

I agree LS26, the club have effectively quit on this year, so why are we still playing defensive football at home, let's go out and play the open football with passion that Nige #2 wants to play. If the has beens can't do that, they know where the door is
Are you for real!! 2 points off play offs and we give it up, can't get my breath!!.Can't say it will happen but since Brayford came back we are on course for a play off place and not far off catching the pacemakers. I accept the automatic places will probably be beyond us(but give it a go) playoffs are well within our scope, loan players will come in to improve our chances.If we do reach
play offs we will have a great chance
as the experienced players we have
Would prove vital.If I gave up with a third of season to go ide be ashamed of myself,come on its all to play for

Are you for real!! 2 points off play offs and we give it up, can't get my breath!!.Can't say it will happen but since Brayford came back we are on course for a play off place and not far off catching the pacemakers. I accept the automatic places will probably be beyond us(but give it a go) playoffs are well within our scope, loan players will come in to improve our chances.If we do reach
play offs we will have a great chance
as the experienced players we have
Would prove vital.If I gave up with a third of season to go ide be ashamed of myself,come on its all to play for

It's the board who have clearly given up, so direct your lack of breath in the correct direction.

Not far off catching the pace settings? That's one way to describe being ten points behind 4th place in the league.

We'll be lucky to add one loan player, so forget loan players, plural.

This is what happens when your board gives up.

Thing is BoHo, that I simply cannot remember a time when this board wasnt full of finger crossing posts about keeping in touch, being there or thereabouts, just need to strengthen during the JTW/make use of the loan window (but dont forget the 93 day rule!), are coming into form at the right time, have a nice run of fixtures coming up, the pitches will start drying out etc etc etc and whilst I don't argue with the points I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of having to finger cross and wish our way to promotion. I'm tired of the way we start with Auto as the target then conveniently drop it when we are bang average yet again. I'm tired of having to pretend that the push for 50th place is somehing good, something to be excited and happy about. I'm tired of endless promises of free beer tomorrow.

I'm tired.
I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am. And, I meet a lot of people and I'm convinced that the vast majority of wrong thinking people are right.

It's the board who have clearly given up, so direct your lack of breath in the correct direction.

Not far off catching the pace settings? That's one way to describe being ten points behind 4th place in the league.

We'll be lucky to add one loan player, so forget loan players, plural.

This is what happens when your board gives up.
How do you know the board have thrown the towel in.Adkins and phipps explained the situation, that's not throwing the towel in!! We failed in the window, that's gone(as Adkins said).There is plenty to play for and I bet loan players will come in to assist, get real!!!

How do you know the board have thrown the towel in.Adkins and phipps explained the situation, that's not throwing the towel in!! We failed in the window, that's gone(as Adkins said).There is plenty to play for and I bet loan players will come in to assist, get real!!!

Who are the loan players? And will they make a difference bearing in mind we've got poor form in this department in recent years, Brayford apart.

*im talking January/Feb loans

Because I'm not as easy taken in by nonsense as you are.

I'm willing to wager than no more than one player will come in on loan, and that's if we're lucky.

Out of the two of us, I respectfully suggest it's not me that needs to get real.

I suspect you're right and this could be part of the decision not to invest in permanent signings in JTW. And, given where we're at, and the long odds of getting up this year, maybe they're right to keep their powder dry for next season.

Thing is BoHo, that I simply cannot remember a time when this board wasnt full of finger crossing posts about keeping in touch, being there or thereabouts, just need to strengthen during the JTW/make use of the loan window (but dont forget the 93 day rule!), are coming into form at the right time, have a nice run of fixtures coming up, the pitches will start drying out etc etc etc and whilst I don't argue with the points I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of having to finger cross and wish our way to promotion. I'm tired of the way we start with Auto as the target then conveniently drop it when we are bang average yet again. I'm tired of having to pretend that the push for 50th place is something good, something to be excited and happy about. I'm tired of endless promises of free beer tomorrow.

I'm tired.

I agree, communication is a big part of the problem. Most Blades I know have learned to be rational in their expectations and would accept that running a football club is far from easy. We can take the medicine provided we believe there is a chance it might eventually lead to a cure. I feel very sorry for poor old Jim Phipps who must feel like a blind eunuch in a harem. I didn't hear the RS interview but if his spirit is broken, that's a real shame as I believe his intentions are good - he's simply out of his depth. I don't blame anyone for our current predicament and I'm thankful for the investment made by McCabe and the Prince in trying to improve things. To be fair they've had to watch our demise and burn a fortune for the pleasure of doing so. We just need someone who understands business and football to make better decisions.

Where's the free beer, tomorrow, by the way?

Many in our current squad will be out of contract this summer so we wont see much of the existing team next season anyway!

Because I'm not as easy taken in by nonsense as you are.

I'm willing to wager than no more than one player will come in on loan, and that's if we're lucky.

Out of the two of us, I respectfully suggest it's not me that needs to get real.
I too respect your opinion but as things stand we have a great chance of play offs but the negativity on social media is way over the top

I too respect your opinion but as things stand we have a great chance of play offs but the negativity on social media is way over the top

I agree that certain things on social media have gone over the top, it's a breeding ground for morons.

As for going up, we have a reasonable chance of making the play offs, and that's about it.

Many in our current squad will be out of contract this summer so we wont see much of the existing team next season anyway!

Appreciate that but we will still need significant investment on the recruitment side if it were to miraculously happen. Championship players cost a lot more than they did the last time we were there and we still have the same right fisted outlook from upstairs.

I don't think we're equipped.

I was going to write something longer along these lines but you've saved me the trouble. They are punting the rest of the season.

We aren'tgoing to go down, barring disaster, but there's too much needs doing to get top 2 and a lot needs doing to guarantee play offs, and we won't win them anyway, so why bother?

If the team suddenly gels and makes top 6, so much the better, but if not, so be it - we'd rather not spend the money.

Back
Top Bottom