The Leicester effect.......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Vicar

Reaction score
Congratulations to Leicester City on winning the Premier League, it just goes to prove that even those with no hope can actually achieve something beyond their wildest dreams!

When I look at some of the teams we have battled against over the past 20 years & where they are now it does make you wonder what is going on at BL? I am thinking of Watford, Crystal Palace, WBA, Reading, Charlton, Stoke & Swansea in particular. All but 2 are safely in the Premier League, & only Charlton [who were promoted 4 years ago] are in the same awful predicament as we are.

The common theme amongst the successful teams is..................good consistent support from the owner who backs it up with money. Drip feeding 20 million over a number of seasons is not the way to make progress. Finance needs to be 'front loaded' to just get us out of this league, & then stabilise us in the next one without selling the best players [which we currently do not have any of]. Unfortunately you might get promotion with team spirit & endeavour, but it cannot be sustained, just ask Yeovil & MK Dons.

So do I have hope for next season? Of course I do, because that is the lot of us stupid fans. It is the reason I consider going to the game, looking for the result, reading this blog & getting all uptight when we have a season like this one.

If a tin pot club like Leicester can do it, then surely there is hope for us? I don't want to go to my grave with a 1-1 draw with Leeds in 2006 being the highlight of my SUFC experience!

It's not about the money. It's about the scouting, getting a good first XI and then playing a set team every game with a handful of squad players who can come in and plug the gaps. It's about having a bunch of players who play for each other and give everything every single game. It's about every player on the pitch closing down the opposition and being drilled and well-disciplined.

My mind turned to clubs like Grimsby, Stockport, Tranmere and Blackpool when I read the O.P. but the main point is fair.

13 months ago I got an e-mail from my Leicester pal moaning that the club owners were getting away with murder and the media and fans should have been holding them to account, he even talked of protests at the ground and in the local paper.

Things can change very quickly when they do change. Big problem is we have no signs anywhere that anything is going to change all of a sudden.

If they hadn't got promoted 2 years ago they would have been financially fecked again

Unless Adkins is some kind of miracle worker next season and McCabe's luck has changed then I don't see it under the current owners.

You need people behind the scenes who know football and have the time, passion and commitment to deliver.Thats what we've been missing.

It's not about the money. It's about the scouting, getting a good first XI and then playing a set team every game with a handful of squad players who can come in and plug the gaps. It's about having a bunch of players who play for each other and give everything every single game. It's about every player on the pitch closing down the opposition and being drilled and well-disciplined.

Sounds just like the Blades in the Bassett and Warnock eras. We never learn from our history.

Leicester have spent very little considering there plight.
All mostly free transfers,Vardey was a snip and a gamble at a million.
Self belief and motivation has been the foxes success.
Proper Roy of the rovers story that I doubt will happen again as it has done with Leicester.
So if Adkins needs a new motivational video to show the team,ditch that geese shit,learn to speak Italian and watch Leicesters season review before every game!!

It was unique this year in my opinion ,all the top teams are still in the trap of emulating Spain when the won the world cup and taking 20 passes to cross the halfway line. Get a good pacey centre forward and let your midfielders and defenders (and keeper) get the ball forward quickly ,back him up with skilful fast support with full back and midfielders and go for goal. Leicester did it from the start ,Spurs cottoned on just too late ,the rest fucked up and still think they are Barcelona. that style has gone ,it was boring ,Adkins take note.

Numbers quoted to me today were, the owner put up £100m for the Club and liabilities

Today they are looking at +£250m for winning the PL, being in the Champions League, and the new Sky TV deal

Top earner Vardy on 70K

Nice story Gav but not strictly true, in fact complete bollocks..
The Squad cost £55m less than the 'big clubs' granted but hardly chicken feed. Ulloa was £10m and so was that Croatian lad out on loan somewhere.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if some of the debts left by the previous 2 incarnations of Leicester City were repaid to HMRC?
If only 10 point deductions were enforced in 1997 ........ I coulda been somebody Charley

Try again!
"Leicester have spent very little considering there plight."

Nice story Gav but not strictly true, in fact complete bollocks..
The Squad cost £55m less than the 'big clubs' granted but hardly chicken feed. Ulloa was £10m and so was that Croatian lad out on loan somewhere.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if some of the debts left by the previous 2 incarnations of Leicester City were repaid to HMRC?
If only 10 point deductions were enforced in 1997 ........ I coulda been somebody Charley

Congratulations to Leicester City on winning the Premier League, it just goes to prove that even those with no hope can actually achieve something beyond their wildest dreams!

When I look at some of the teams we have battled against over the past 20 years & where they are now it does make you wonder what is going on at BL? I am thinking of Watford, Crystal Palace, WBA, Reading, Charlton, Stoke & Swansea in particular. All but 2 are safely in the Premier League, & only Charlton [who were promoted 4 years ago] are in the same awful predicament as we are.

The common theme amongst the successful teams is..................good consistent support from the owner who backs it up with money. Drip feeding 20 million over a number of seasons is not the way to make progress. Finance needs to be 'front loaded' to just get us out of this league, & then stabilise us in the next one without selling the best players [which we currently do not have any of]. Unfortunately you might get promotion with team spirit & endeavour, but it cannot be sustained, just ask Yeovil & MK Dons.

So do I have hope for next season? Of course I do, because that is the lot of us stupid fans. It is the reason I consider going to the game, looking for the result, reading this blog & getting all uptight when we have a season like this one.

If a tin pot club like Leicester can do it, then surely there is hope for us? I don't want to go to my grave with a 1-1 draw with Leeds in 2006 being the highlight of my SUFC experience!

Just been looking at league tables Vicar. We have programmes visiting United at all the following non- league clubs who we have played in the league in my time:

Grimsby, Lincoln, Tranmere, Aldershot, Halifax, Stockport, Wrexham ( cup maybe), Chester and York are heading there.

Read somewhere foxes squad cost £25 million in transfers, roughly half of what man shity paid for sterling.
It's all comparative when you talk about winning the league with very little out lay.
Also remember we paid 1.5 million or more for the beard in league one, compared to 25 million to win prem, foxes have done it on a comparative "shoestring", also most fans can name half of squads from the likes of man urge, man shitty, scouser so, Spurs arsenal an Chelsea, I'd like to bet most ppl would be hard pressed to name 6 of LCFC regular starters, and you can bet blades and many others will be using the mantra " foxes did it, so can we" next season.
Good luck LCFC
UTB

Ah but our Mr McCabe dunt want to be like Leicester. He said we should be thankful that we aren't at last weeks forum.

It was unique this year in my opinion ,all the top teams are still in the trap of emulating Spain when the won the world cup and taking 20 passes to cross the halfway line. Get a good pacey centre forward and let your midfielders and defenders (and keeper) get the ball forward quickly ,back him up with skilful fast support with full back and midfielders and go for goal. Leicester did it from the start ,Spurs cottoned on just too late ,the rest fucked up and still think they are Barcelona. that style has gone ,it was boring ,Adkins take note.
post of the century so far.. well done mate :)

The "money clubs" will have taken into account what LCFC have achieved. So, instead of spending £100m this summer, they'll now spend £200m / £300m because what LCFC have done, has given all the also-rans in football an incentive to dream harder.

What the PL clubs do is give-out false comparisons.

We're now reading about how LCFC only spent a fraction of what MUFC did, so it's a miracle they even achieved anything?

Is LCFC winning the PL good for English football? In the bigger, wider picture, I don't think so.

A thing that's been bugging me and sorry to go slightly of topic
Who would you say is the bigger club
Leicester City or Sheffield Utd?
For comparison terms say over the last 20yrs 10 yrs 5yrs and now?

Don't really follow the Circus but maybe it helps:

Chelsea - Mourinho meltdown
Man City - dead man walking as a manager
Man Utd - identity crisis

Chances of that and a few other things: 5000-1 :)

Raining in Spain today, house bound.

Researched Leicester' s squad build :

Schmeicell signed 6/11 und.fee. 3m?
Simpson summer/14 und. 2m?
Fuchs summer/15, free
Huth S/15 -3m.
Morgan 1/12. 1m.
Drink water 1/12. Free?
Kante. 8/15. 8m
Marhez. 1/14. 4m?
Albrighton s/14. Free.
Vardy. S/12. 1m
Schlupp Academy. 2011
King Academy 2007
Okazaki. 6/15. 7m
Ulloa. 7/14. 8m

Pearson was manager 6/08 to 6/10 and then 11/11 to 6/15.

Ranieri joined 7/15.

Pearson was off his head before all this happened since he left!

The "money clubs" will have taken into account what LCFC have achieved. So, instead of spending £100m this summer, they'll now spend £200m / £300m because what LCFC have done, has given all the also-rans in football an incentive to dream harder.

What the PL clubs do is give-out false comparisons.

We're now reading about how LCFC only spent a fraction of what MUFC did, so it's a miracle they even achieved anything?

Is LCFC winning the PL good for English football? In the bigger, wider picture, I don't think so.

If the new, bigger TV deals mean the likes of Leicester are getting closer to the big 4 (5), then that will hasten the pulling up of the drawbridge with the European Super League. Size, not achievement will be the criteria, which would mean Liverpool not Leicester and a big fat TV deal will mean the next PL league TV deal will cause issues that dwarf those resulting from the FL TV collapse years ago.

If the new, bigger TV deals mean the likes of Leicester are getting closer to the big 4 (5)

These new TV deals (obscene in my opinion) which take root from the next season.
All they'll mean is that clubs in the PL will have even more money then ever before, LCFC, Middlesboro, Burnley would only be closer to those Top 4/5 if the 4/5 didn't receive this financial "reward" ..

No club's are closer to the main players, they're just a helluva lot richer than those trailing in their wake.

Give it five years, it won;t be Match Of The Day on Saturday nights, it'll be Champions League MOTD (and only by subs too)...

If United are serious about wanting to be a player in this abomination of the football, then KMc & Prince better start speculating faster than ever, because if they don't, it might just be too late.

Anyone else done with football?

Still tipping it down in Spain.

Just read that Walsh of Leicester is looking for " players of strong character who work hard off the ball". Well they already have pace and a sound defence and they need more players to play more games in Europe. More characters, more pace, sounds good for us in fact! Exactly what we are short of after all the player turnover in recent years, characters and pace. We can't press for 90 minutes and we can't counter attack from deep in our own half. Needs sorting Nigel. BTW if you have aspirations to keep this back 3 together, Hammond in midfield, god forbid Coutts as well, and your declared strike force of Sharp and Adams, plus of course a few rookies - where are the characters and where's the pace?

We'll need some Kante, Albrighton and Mahrez types to ignite that lot!

Raining in Spain today, house bound.

Researched Leicester' s squad build :

Schmeicell signed 6/11 und.fee. 3m?
Simpson summer/14 und. 2m?
Fuchs summer/15, free
Huth S/15 -3m.
Morgan 1/12. 1m.
Drink water 1/12. Free?
Kante. 8/15. 8m
Marhez. 1/14. 4m?
Albrighton s/14. Free.
Vardy. S/12. 1m
Schlupp Academy. 2011
King Academy 2007
Okazaki. 6/15. 7m
Ulloa. 7/14. 8m

Pearson was manager 6/08 to 6/10 and then 11/11 to 6/15.

Ranieri joined 7/15.

Pearson was off his head before all this happened since he left!
Kante was £5.5 million and Mahrez was only £400k, absolute snippets. Just think what we paid for John Brayford then think where one of our main problems lie.

Back
Top Bottom