The JPT is going all world cup.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chezzy_Blade

Reaction score
Don't know if this is old news but just read that during the Johnstone paint trophy referees are going to be trialling the white spray on the pitch in proper Rio style!

Still not exciting enough though really is it. If they make this bloke the referee I might fight the JPT a little more entertaining!

There's a man running the line at Sheffield fc who wears a dress up to the point he changes into lino kit. Very camp, ladys hair, everything. Quitea surprising sight, especially the beer belly. Fair play to him I say.

We have a bye through to the 2nd round,yip fucking ee.

JPT is a shit cup. Would be better if we could play a complete side of youngsters
Sorry Swiss, it may be a sh!t cup, but it is played for by sh!t teams from the third and fourth divisions of the Football League - last year despite having a great second half to the season we still finished only seventh behind such footballing giants as Roherham, Brentford, Leyton Orient and Peterborough.
We have not been good enough to get out of this sh!t league now for three seasons, the JPT is realistically the only chance we will get of winning a knock out trophy this year yet you and many more of our 'followers' think we are too big, too famous, too mighty to even compete with the likes of Swindon, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Fleetwood and the like !!
We are where we are because over the last few years we have been CRAP, hopefully the better times are just around the corner but until then lets just win whats in front of us instead of making excuses for not beating lower league opposition because we think we are above the competition !
Didn't Burton sort us out 4-0 just over two weeks ago !

Sorry Swiss, it may be a sh!t cup, but it is played for by sh!t teams from the third and fourth divisions of the Football League - last year despite having a great second half to the season we still finished only seventh behind such footballing giants as Roherham, Brentford, Leyton Orient and Peterborough.
We have not been good enough to get out of this sh!t league now for three seasons, the JPT is realistically the only chance we will get of winning a knock out trophy this year yet you and many more of our 'followers' think we are too big, too famous, too mighty to even compete with the likes of Swindon, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Fleetwood and the like !!
We are where we are because over the last few years we have been CRAP, hopefully the better times are just around the corner but until then lets just win whats in front of us instead of making excuses for not beating lower league opposition because we think we are above the competition !
Didn't Burton sort us out 4-0 just over two weeks ago !
Oh dear, someone’s making assumptions… So let me clarify, No need for apologies ;)
I don’t know what other ‘followers’ think, but I don’t think that we’re too big for the JPT. My gripe is nothing to do with billy big bollocks syndrome. My issue with the JPT is that it has no relevance. I’m pretty sure that through gate receipts, sponsorships and travel (although it is reduced to the Northern section) that financially there is no benefit to this cup. You could disprove this though.
As for prestige, yes it’s the old adage that gaining a winning mentality and winning games is great for morale etc, however I don’t think many sides, even the ones you mentioned will be that bothered about it.
My issue is that we’re not a premiership side, we don’t have a Premiership budget and we don’t have a premiership sized squad, yet (and this is not just us, this is all sides in L1 and L2) we’re expected to play Carling cup, FA cup (from round 1) a full season of 46 league games – no breaks plus the JPT. Now here’s where you can cut me down: We have a very good academy, a number of young lads on the verge of the first team and the JPT SHOULD be the place where we are allowed to play them, as well as the Carling cup, this is the cup to blood them in. The fact that the JPT doesn’t (or at least they didn’t) allow teams to play less than 6 of the team that played the previous game is a disgrace. A manager should be allowed to play whichever side he wants so long as that team is nominated as his squad for the season.
So before you get on your highhorse about us being too big for this cup, perhaps you might want to question the poster on why he made the comments that he did.
So for me, despite losing in a meaningless preseason friendly to Burton, I believe that we are crap still, because we’ve festered in L1 for long enough. This doesn’t take away from my belief that the JPT is still a shit cup and I don’t feel it has any credibility. I would certainly not bother going to Wembley and paying all that money to sit and lose in a shit cup final.
Now you can rip into me properly :)

I'd still rather we won it this season eve if its a cack competition, nice to have a good cup run, tho wont compare to the exploits of the fa cup last yr.

What vanishing spray?
I thought that was the name of Harry's sun tan lotion..!

I'll get me coat...:(

Oh dear, someone’s making assumptions… So let me clarify, No need for apologies ;)
I don’t know what other ‘followers’ think, but I don’t think that we’re too big for the JPT. My gripe is nothing to do with billy big bollocks syndrome. My issue with the JPT is that it has no relevance. I’m pretty sure that through gate receipts, sponsorships and travel (although it is reduced to the Northern section) that financially there is no benefit to this cup. You could disprove this though.
As for prestige, yes it’s the old adage that gaining a winning mentality and winning games is great for morale etc, however I don’t think many sides, even the ones you mentioned will be that bothered about it.
My issue is that we’re not a premiership side, we don’t have a Premiership budget and we don’t have a premiership sized squad, yet (and this is not just us, this is all sides in L1 and L2) we’re expected to play Carling cup, FA cup (from round 1) a full season of 46 league games – no breaks plus the JPT. Now here’s where you can cut me down: We have a very good academy, a number of young lads on the verge of the first team and the JPT SHOULD be the place where we are allowed to play them, as well as the Carling cup, this is the cup to blood them in. The fact that the JPT doesn’t (or at least they didn’t) allow teams to play less than 6 of the team that played the previous game is a disgrace. A manager should be allowed to play whichever side he wants so long as that team is nominated as his squad for the season.
So before you get on your highhorse about us being too big for this cup, perhaps you might want to question the poster on why he made the comments that he did.
So for me, despite losing in a meaningless preseason friendly to Burton, I believe that we are crap still, because we’ve festered in L1 for long enough. This doesn’t take away from my belief that the JPT is still a shit cup and I don’t feel it has any credibility. I would certainly not bother going to Wembley and paying all that money to sit and lose in a shit cup final.

I think there is abit of the "Billy Big Bollocks" to our attitude to the JPT and I see nothing wrong with that.

With our resources, it's an embarssment to be in the 3rd Division. We need to get out of it asap. Given this, winning a competition open only to 3rd and 4th division teams is pretty meaningless. To clubs like Fleetwood and Accrington with no realsitic prospect of ever getting out of those divisions, it would be an acheivement.

I remember Man Utd winning Division 2 in 1975 and parading round Old Trafford with the trophy. The players just looked embarrassed. The JPT is a bit like that for United.

I would rather get embarrassed parading with the JPT than not winning a bean for the last 33 years! - even then it was only the 4th Division title !
Since 1975 Man Utd have won virtually everything so perhaps the Division Two title did pale into insignificance since they won the Division One title less than eight years previously !
Yes over the years we have had a great ride, FA Cup & League Cup Semi Finals, Play Off Finals, our brief flirtation with the Premier League yet we have won bugger all !
It smacks of Billy Big Bollocks no matter how you dress it up !

There's a man running the line at Sheffield fc who wears a dress up to the point he changes into lino kit. Very camp, ladys hair, everything. Quitea surprising sight, especially the beer belly. Fair play to him I say.

This might be a woman.

The JPT is a shitty pointless cup especially set aside for teams who stand no chance of winning anything else. It's a symptom of the society that gives out prizes for merely competing and rewarding failure. Fuck the JPT. Fuck it up it's shiny, silvery arse.

I would rather get embarrassed parading with the JPT than not winning a bean for the last 33 years! - even then it was only the 4th Division title !
Since 1975 Man Utd have won virtually everything so perhaps the Division Two title did pale into insignificance since they won the Division One title less than eight years previously !
Yes over the years we have had a great ride, FA Cup & League Cup Semi Finals, Play Off Finals, our brief flirtation with the Premier League yet we have won bugger all !
It smacks of Billy Big Bollocks no matter how you dress it up !

In my lifetime we have won:

The County Cup many times
The Pennine Radio Cup
The Yorkshire and Humberside Cup
The Division 4 title
The Central League Title about 3 times
The Central League Cup
The Northern Intermediate League

The JPT would be similar to any of those. I would take little or no pride in winning it.

We haven't won a proper trophy (i.e. one that the first teams of all the top clubs compete for) since 1925. That's the only stat that matters.

The Pennine Radio Cup
The Division 4 title
The Central League Cup

And the NIL Cup too. We did the double in 1964

The Pennine Radio Cup
The Division 4 title
The Central League Cup

The JPT would be similar to any of those. I would take little or no pride in winning it.

We haven't won a proper trophy (i.e. one that the first teams of all the top clubs compete for) since 1925. That's the only stat that matters.

I can't believe I have overlooked some outstanding triumphs !!
Sorry Darren, none of the above apart from the 4th Division title comes anywhere close even to the 'TinPot' Johnstone's Paint Trophy - the reason we are in the JPT is that it is only open for third and fourth division clubs - It may have escaped your notice but we are only a third division side so we are playing alongside our peers - it is not a Reserve Team Cup, It is not a Junior or Youth Team Cup or even a Cup thought up by a local Radio Station - it is what it is a Competition for third and fourth division clubs!
I will now have to go and have a lie down and dream of glories past in the good old 'Central League' not forgetting the famous Pennine Radio Cup - heady days......................................................................

I can't believe I have overlooked some outstanding triumphs !!
Sorry Darren, none of the above apart from the 4th Division title comes anywhere close even to the 'TinPot' Johnstone's Paint Trophy - the reason we are in the JPT is that it is only open for third and fourth division clubs - It may have escaped your notice but we are only a third division side so we are playing alongside our peers - it is not a Reserve Team Cup, It is not a Junior or Youth Team Cup or even a Cup thought up by a local Radio Station - it is what it is a Competition for third and fourth division clubs!
I will now have to go and have a lie down and dream of glories past in the good old 'Central League' not forgetting the famous Pennine Radio Cup - heady days......................................................................

It's equivalent to winning the 3rd division title, in that we are proclaimed the best of the lower league clubs. I won't see winning the title as a major triumph either, but at least that gets us playing at a higher level. All winning the JPT does is say we have won a competition for the lower league clubs. Big wow.

I didn't think I had made any assumptions apart from that it is a Sh!t Cup for Sh!t teams - We qualify for it because we are in a Sh!t League and over the past few years we've been sh!t - so it appears we are tailor made for the competition !

It's equivalent to winning the 3rd division title, in that we are proclaimed the best of the lower league clubs. I won't see winning the title as a major triumph either, but at least that gets us playing at a higher level. All winning the JPT does is say we have won a competition for the lower league clubs. Big wow.

I don't see winning the trophy as a major triumph but it is perhaps better than getting knocked out at home to Hartlepool or Burton !

Winning is a habit, some of the fringe players can be used to make the squad stronger over the season gets all the squad involved and gives them competitive match practice instead of sat on the bench week in week out or playing for the Under 21's !

I don't think it's Billy Big Bollocks not wanting to be in the thing, it's just the thing shouldn't exist at all.

Premier League teams scream blue murder at 38 league games and entering the proper cups in the later rounds. We have 46 and the early rounds to contend with and then another pointless competition thrown in for good measure. It's crap.

For what it's worth I'd change the rules a bit:

Split the draw into top and bottom half based on league position.
All teams in top half play away (i.e. advantage lowest teams).
Top team in top half gets to play AT the nearest club geographically in the bottom half and so on (i.e. local derbies but making it worthwhile being the "best" team left in the tourney as getting shortest journey).
No extra time. Straight to penalties if 90 min draw.
Final at Old Trafford (other top league ground based on geography of finalists).

Looking forward to it already.

It's the football equivalent of the Commonwealth Games. Nobody who's any good is in it, you get to prove you're the best out of all the rubbish. It's ok if you're Rochdale or a Scottish schoolgirl, nice day out in the sunshine. But if you're Wolves, Sheffield United, Usain Bolt or Mo Farah you just feel a bit of a tit even being involved with it.

I feel for those who wouldn't consider it a pleasure to watch Utd win a match and lift a trophy at Wembley alongside friends, family and thousands of fellow fans, regardless of the percieved importance of the competition. My old man is 75 now, I would consider it a priceless honour to share a moment like that with him before it's too late.

I'd go fucking mental if we won the JPT and celebrate it like we'd won the Champions League, since it's the only bit of knockout silverware i think i'm ever likely to see united win.

Back
Top Bottom