The future

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Punk Blade

Reaction score
Here are the current ages of those in and around the first team squad at the moment:

17 - Reed
18 - Adams
19 - McGahey, De Girolamo, Dimaio
20 - K Wallace
21 - Long, Kennedy
22 - Scougall, Baxter, McNulty, Cuvelier, Freeman
23 - J Wallace
25 - Murphy
26 - Basham, Flynn, Coutts
27 - Alcock, Harris, Brayford
28 - Howard
29 - McEveley
------------------------
31 - Campbell-Ryce, Higdon, Turner
33 - Doyle, Davies

If we do go up this season then those currently under 30 look like a great set to get us started at the next level. The only player under 30 who is not young enough to still be developing that I would be worried about in the Championship is Alcock. If Murphy is still young enough to get better, there are 15 players perfectly placed to grow with the club if they can develop at the same rate as the club's league standing and ambition.

Again, if we go up this time then I would expect the 30+ group to be moved on or become no more than squad players at best. If the under 30s can make an extra year of experience and maturity count then Clough can bring through or bring in some more promising talent in the 21 and under category.

I like the look of where this is heading.

Jesus, just realised I'm older than everyone in United's squad - I remember when Michael Owen first came on the scene, he was the first footballer in the same school-year as me :(

Here are the current ages of those in and around the first team squad at the moment:

17 - Reed
18 - Adams
20 - K Wallace
21 - Long, Kennedy
23 - J Wallace
25 - Murphy
28 - Howard
29 - McEveley
------------------------
33 - Doyle, Davies

If we do go up this season then those currently under 30 look like a great set to get us started at the next level. The only player under 30 who is not young enough to still be developing that I would be worried about in the Championship is Alcock. If Murphy is still young enough to get better, there are 15 players perfectly placed to grow with the club if they can develop at the same rate as the club's league standing and ambition.

Again, if we go up this time then I would expect the 30+ group to be moved on or become no more than squad players at best. If the under 30s can make an extra year of experience and maturity count then Clough can bring through or bring in some more promising talent in the 21 and under category.

Roll on 2018/19

17 - Reed
18 - Adams
20 - K Wallace
21 - Long, Kennedy
23 - J Wallace
25 - Murphy
28 - Howard
29 - McEveley
------------------------
33 - Doyle, Davies

Good age profile, but here's another perspective which looks less balanced:

GKs: Howard, Long, Turner

Def: Brayford, Harris, Basham, McEveley, Freeman, Kennedy, McGahey, Alcock

Mid: Murphy, Doyle, Scougall, Coutts, Wallace (J) Campbell-Ryce, Flynn, Reed, Baxter, Cuvelier, Adams, Holt, Davies, Wallace (K), Dimaio

Str: McNulty, Higdon, De Girolamo

I'm happy with our GK situation and defensive cover also now looks strong.

Fifteen midfielders, and only three out and out strikers means the squad needs rebalancing.

Cloughie still needs to sign at least two and possibly three strikers; critically two who can play the lone role in a 4-5-1, because at present he has nobody who can do it. In which case there will be plenty of movement out.

I see the following as likely exits before the start of next season:

Doyle: out of contract? and unlikely to be re-signed at 34, despite doing well this season.
Baxter: unless Cloughie uses him deeper, as a playmaker, I can't see a place for him (sadly). He was, again, disappointing on Wednesday until he dropped into Doyle's role at which point his performance improved. I assume Coutts is seen as Doyle's replacement?
Cuvelier: must be vulnerable given recent acquisitions and Cloughie's point about signing players ready to go straight into the team.
Davies: out of contract? and unlikely to be renewed.
Dimaio: can't see him getting a game given the players ahead of him, so likely to be loaned out.
Higdon: presumably a make-weight in the Doyle negotiation. Can't see a role for him unless Cloughie reverts to 4-4-2 (which seems unlikely).
De Girolamo: hope he stays but a high risk he won't.

I agree with the optimism expressed about the future in the OP - but we need more strikers and less midfielders!

Someone not mentioned is young keeper Willis who I believe will go on to play at the highest level. (and no, I'm not his Dad ;))

Good age profile, but here's another perspective which looks less balanced:

GKs: Howard, Long, Turner

Def: Brayford, Harris, Basham, McEveley, Freeman, Kennedy, McGahey, Alcock

Mid: Murphy, Doyle, Scougall, Coutts, Wallace (J) Campbell-Ryce, Flynn, Reed, Baxter, Cuvelier, Adams, Holt, Davies, Wallace (K), Dimaio

Str: McNulty, Higdon, De Girolamo

I'm happy with our GK situation and defensive cover also now looks strong.

Fifteen midfielders, and only three out and out strikers means the squad needs rebalancing.

Cloughie still needs to sign at least two and possibly three strikers; critically two who can play the lone role in a 4-5-1, because at present he has nobody who can do it. In which case there will be plenty of movement out.

I see the following as likely exits before the start of next season:

Doyle: out of contract? and unlikely to be re-signed at 34, despite doing well this season.
Baxter: unless Cloughie uses him deeper, as a playmaker, I can't see a place for him (sadly). He was, again, disappointing on Wednesday until he dropped into Doyle's role at which point his performance improved. I assume Coutts is seen as Doyle's replacement?
Cuvelier: must be vulnerable given recent acquisitions and Cloughie's point about signing players ready to go straight into the team.
Davies: out of contract? and unlikely to be renewed.
Dimaio: can't see him getting a game given the players ahead of him, so likely to be loaned out.
Higdon: presumably a make-weight in the Doyle negotiation. Can't see a role for him unless Cloughie reverts to 4-4-2 (which seems unlikely).
De Girolamo: hope he stays but a high risk he won't.

I agree with the optimism expressed about the future in the OP - but we need more strikers and less midfielders!
I agree about the positional balance to a point and was going to highlight it myself. Take the under 30s and over 22s (excluding Alcock) and you get this:

Howard
Brayford Basham McEveley Harris
Flynn Coutts J Wallace Murphy
? ?
We are completely devoid of any strikers with notable experience the right side of 30. Acquisitions like E Doyle and O'Grady are precisely what we now need.

The way I would disagree is that the 15 midfield players are a very versatile bunch. First, you could easily name Murphy and Adams as forwards. Second, and perhaps more crucially, they probably need to be separated into 'central midfielders' and 'attacking midfielders' or even 'supporting forwards' in the 4-2-3-1 system.

The other thing I would disagree with is wondering about some younger players like Baxter moving on. He is young and we probably expect too much of him. As a group of fans we are far more forgiving of McNulty and Scougall and while this may because Baxter is technically more gifted and has played more games for us, they all have plenty of room to develop. Baxter should be given time to discover and nail down his best position, but we may find that we miss his ability on the ball if he were allowed to leave.

Someone not mentioned is young keeper Willis who I believe will go on to play at the highest level. (and no, I'm not his Dad ;))
Totally agree and I hope he is successful with us. He's just not been involved at first team level yet.

Jesus, just realised I'm older than everyone in United's squad - I remember when Michael Owen first came on the scene, he was the first footballer in the same school-year as me :(

The first footballer i can remember playing who was the same age as me is Emile Heskey............

The last player i can remember being older than me and playing for United was Chris Morgan who was a full week older than me.

When Speed retired that forked me right up. Sad times!

When Speed retired that forked me right up. Sad times!

We have a squad that can develop together and become something special in the way Southampton have.

Hope the days of have beens no matter how good they were but now get by passed because they are past it are long behind us.

Thanks Nigel.

The future looks very bright, unless of course it is cashed in on! bet in play, cash out now :( it's the Blades after all, lets hope not we have some potential stars!! UTB

The first footballer i can remember playing who was the same age as me is Emile Heskey............

The last player i can remember being older than me and playing for United was Chris Morgan who was a full week older than me.
Morgs is two months younger than me but always see him as being older, just because he's Morgs and I can't be older than morgs

The future looks very bright, unless of course it is cashed in on! bet in play, cash out now :( it's the Blades after all, lets hope not we have some potential stars!! UTB

If we get this right the kids of today will be able to reel off the players names in 2055 like we can the '71 bunch.

That's something worth aiming for.

Back
Top Bottom