The First Game you remember watching on TV?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fulwood Blade

Reaction score
The sports shop post on Bramall Lane got me thinking again of the that time in my life.

The first game I saw on TV was the 1966 FA Cup final. Coming from a family of piggies, it was naturally on the TV that day. Even at 10 years of age, I just couldn't bring myself to support them.

2nd game was the same year - the world cup final. Two hero's - Mike Trebilcock and Geoff Hurst!

Anyway, what after 5-2 yesterday, we need something a little more light hearted to discuss.

UTB

I'm of the vintage where one of the first games i can remember watching and being excited about being allowed to stay up late and watch was the 1985 European Cup Final.

UEFA Cup Final 1982.Aston Villa 1 Bayern Munich 0.Former Blade Peter Withe scoring the winner.Vaguely remember Villa keeper Jimmy Rimmer getting injured in the warm-up and Nigel Spink making his second appearance for Villa as the replacement.

Man Utd 4 Benfica 1 in the European Cup Final in 1968. I would have been only seven years old at that time but my mum and dad let me stay up to watch it on live tv.

I have a vague memory of the 1966 World Cup Final and a similar memory of the 1968 European Final with Manchester United v Benfica.
Can't really remember the first Blades game I saw on TV!

I remember countless Sunday games on itv probably before that but can't say that any stand out and I also remember the 1982 World Cup happening. I don't really remember a particular game of note before the '84 FA cup final when I was 6 going on 7

I remember seeing Wendy v Arsenal on YTV on Sunday 21st December 1969 at my grandmother's house in Hartley Brook Road (probably watching tv on and off as I was looking at the wrapped Xmas presents wondering what was in them). There were snow on the pitch. My dad and some of my mum's brothers were at the match in the previous day. The first match I watched properly was Blades v Everton match shown on YTV on Sunday 4th January 1970. The first time I my mum allowed me to watch MOTD was when Blades won 2-1 at Blackburn on February 28th 1970

I was at some of the matches mentioned above. First television game I can remember was Spurs v Leicester Cup Final 1961, I think, second was Man Utd v Leicester Cup Final 1962 and Man Utd v Burnley Cup Final 1963. In those days the only live games were the Cup Final and England V Scotland. The 1964 Final was a good un', 1965 Leeds v Liverpool and I remember Wendy winning 2-0 and losing LOL.

England Vs Germany Euro 96. Can't remember 1st United game I watched on tele, can remember listening to semi-final against Newcastle on radio tho.

watching all the 1966 world cup on tv , and youll never guess ,,England won it

Move-on 4 years and the 1970 World Cup Finals. Couldn't tell you which was the first game I watched, but what I do remember is that my Dad had bought a colour TV (1st one we ever had) that was delivered just before it started. The main memory is how vivid everything was and those amazing bright yellow Brazilian shirts.

I was at some of the matches mentioned above. First television game I can remember was Spurs v Leicester Cup Final 1961, I think, second was Man Utd v Leicester Cup Final 1962 and Man Utd v Burnley Cup Final 1963. In those days the only live games were the Cup Final and England V Scotland. The 1964 Final was a good un', 1965 Leeds v Liverpool and I remember Wendy winning 2-0 and losing LOL.
Spurs v Burnley in 1962 and Man U v Leicester in 1963. my first FA Cup final in memory was Chelsea v L**ds in 1970. I wanted Chelsea to win and my dad wanted L**ds cos of Mick Jones (at the time I couldnt picture Mick Jones wearing a Blade shirt!)

1978 FA cup final, Ipswich beating Arsenal one nil.

I rememeber the 86 World Cup but not specific matches. The 87 Cup Final was a big thing where I grew up and I remember folk being gutted when Spurs lost.

I remember watching Everton win the cup winners cup (1985? Without checking I think it was Rapid Vienna) a proper Euro competition, straight knock out and didn't take 36 + games to win. I probably saw games before but that's one I remember.

The first one I remember really caring about was 1986 England v Maradona although I don't think I properly grasped the brilliance of the World Cup until Italia 90.

Ooh, I have just remembered watching Blades v Grimsby (I think) as a live game. What was that doing on telly? I think we won and remember Budgie saving with one hand on the line a header from a young Paul Wilkinson. So depending when that was and whether it's even true, that would be the first game I cared about.

Spurs v Burnley in 1962 and Man U v Leicester in 1963. my first FA Cup final in memory was Chelsea v L**ds in 1970. I wanted Chelsea to win and my dad wanted L**ds cos of Mick Jones (at the time I couldnt picture Mick Jones wearing a Blade shirt!)

Aye that was it. Thanks Silent

Probably one of England's Euro 96 games

First Blades game I actually remember watching on tele was the 2nd leg play off against Sunderland I think......

No idea of first game I saw on TV. First blades game I remember was vs man Utd in 1992/93 season in FA Cup we won 2-1. Glynn Hodges, reyt strike.

I'm sure I watched Kaiserslautern knock pigs out of Uefa Cup year before on Euro Sport maybe..

As I'm typing this, I realised I watched Italia 90 and remember Gazza crying vs. Germany as a little 4yr old

The first ones I can actually remember definitely watching on telly are Man Utd v Benfica - Euro Cup Final and West Brom v Everton - FA Cup Final
Both in 1968 and both in black and white!

I can remember most of the 82 world cup but nothing before ,in particular a game with scotland and brazil where i thibk david narey scored a screamer to put the scots one up only to piss the brazillians off and smash them 4-1
Also remeber england drawing 0-0 in a game they had to win with keegan and brooking coming off the bench and the feeling of desparation and not quite being good enough that would sum up my football supporting life

I can remember most of the 82 world cup but nothing before ,in particular a game with scotland and brazil where i thibk david narey scored a screamer to put the scots one up only to piss the brazillians off and smash them 4-1
Also remeber england drawing 0-0 in a game they had to win with keegan and brooking coming off the bench and the feeling of desparation and not quite being good enough that would sum up my football supporting life

First game I saw on TV was West Ham v Preston. Howard Kendall youngest finalist at 17 since David Jack (I think), Alan Kelly senior in goal for Preston.
I remember West Ham seemed to have about 6 or 7 players with names beginning with the letter B. Now to many of us their club is full of B's !

The 1970 World Cup was amazing. Brazil played football from another planet. Remember before going to school every morning there was a programme on ITV called Good Morning Mexico. Brian Moore, Derek Dougan, Bob Mcnab, Paddy Crerand, Malcolm Allison. Better than any panels around today. Used to analyse the matches from the previous night and wax lyrical about Pele, Riveleno, Tostao et al.

Back
Top Bottom