The false number nine?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
An interesting article on the Vital Football website. I'm not sure if the author posts on here or not:-

Can We Have The False Number 9 Back, Nigel?
After Spain's spectacular fall from grace at the Brazilian World Cup it might well be the end of the road for tippy-tappy football as the false number 9 and 4-5-1-0 goes out of fashion. Even though the Spaniards did go with a proper centre forward throughout the tournament no doubt the perceived formation that made them famous will bite the bullet. Over in Sheffield it looks as though young Nigel has turned his back on it too, as this time around a number of forwards have been given a chance as a proper striker with debateable success.

Whether Blades manager Nigel Clough stumbled across the false number 9 and no out-and-out forward system or not, for the last 3 months of last season it proved very successful for the Red and White Wizards. In that system Jose Baxter - he even sounds half Spanish - played the furthest forward as the false number 9, with speedy, skill full players Scougall, Coady, Murphy and Flynn bombing forward from midfield or wide.

With no centre forward and a fair sprinkling of smaller players United had no option but to keep the ball on the deck rather than booting it long, and that they did with great zest. Add in the opposition centre halves not quite knowing what to do with no forwards to mark and Cloughy was onto a winner. To recap in that 3 months United went from a team deep in relegation trouble after a 3-0 mauling at Crewe in early February, to a team setting club records for consecutive wins and games without conceding, for a respectable finish of 7th in the table, just a place outside the play-offs.

Of course more spectacular than the rise up the table, was the Blades' run in the FA Cup, as Premier prim donnas Villa and Fulham were deservedly beaten on their own patches, followed by Forest and Charlton from the Championship being comprehensively dispatched in the next rounds at the Lane. Then for 45 glorious minutes we played another Premier division team, Hull, off the Wembley pitch to lead 2-1 at half-time, before eventually losing out 5-3 by the full time whistle. All this on the back of a decent keep ball passing style, built around a 4-5-1-0 system and cast iron defence (the semi-final apart).

Fast forward to the new season and with forwards Michael Higdon and Mark McNulty signing for the club over the summer, the manager seems to have abandoned the none up front system to justify the outlay on the strikers. However, this hasn't been a shining success as both have had slow starts to their Lane careers, as have the team to the season. Although results have picked up in recent weeks performances have been far from convincing and not a patch on those at the back end of the previous campaign.

Now midfield players Stefan Scougall and James Wallace are back from injury I'd encourage Cloughy to go back to the 4-5-1-0 that was so successful last season. It might not be fashionable anymore but if the system works for the players in the squad it would seem crazy not to resort back too it, especially as the strikers currently at the club are failing to impress.

Now if a 30 goal a season striker was to suddenly become available to the club in October that might be a different argument altogether!

Written by Andy McWhirter

http://www.sheffutd.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370884

I tend to agree. In the absence (still) of a on form, goalscoring, centre-forward maybe we'd be better served by sticking Baxter back up there and surrounding him with other attacking, creative goal-threats?

....................Howard
Alcock McGahey Collins McEveley
......................Wallace.......................
..............Davies..Scougall................
Campbell-Rice...................Murphy.
.......................Baxter.........................

No Doyle?

This, for me, is the difference this season. From February onwards, we played the Third Division version of 'Total Football'. Extremely fluid, the ability to switch wings, attacks from different directions. We didn't have a 'big 'un' up front, because we didn't need one.

With the signing of Higdon, this approach seemed to change - not really for the better. I trust NC is young enough not to be set in his ways and to constantly experiment depending on oppposition/players available.

(For the football techies out there - Bergen? - good article here about Manuel Neuer and the 'sweeper/keeper'. In the WC game v. Algeria, Neuer covered over 6 Km!)

Just thinking the same t'other day ( great minds eh!?)...play your best players...

That looks good to me with Doyle/Mcnulty/Flynn alternating with form/injuries/opposition.

We've seen a few signs recently that McNulty is improving/adjusting, hopefully Scougall can help his old pal out with a few assists.

UTB!

Well I think Murphy is definately a false number 9 (despite his goal on Tuesday) and based on his last performance so is Higdon! :D

Have to say - for the record - and surprised that few people also voice this preference.

I am not that keen on falsies

I'm not against a false 9 but Baxter is wasted there. He can do it but he's so much better in the middle of the park where he can dictate play.

If anyone is made for it it's Scougall. He's quick, comfortable with the ball, can link up play. Like our very own Messi :)

I'm not against a false 9 but Baxter is wasted there. He can do it but he's so much better in the middle of the park where he can dictate play.

If anyone is made for it it's Scougall. He's quick, comfortable with the ball, can link up play. Like our very own Messi :)
Yes,imagine Scouggs turning and running straight at the last man,instead of him turning and having to beat about 3 or 4 players,we could see even better results from him further up the pitch.

No. Not once Wallace and Scougall are both fit enough to start.

Bit of a gamble there though dont yer think?? Scougs/Wallace get injured again anytime soon, Doyles been warming the bench just because they're both back fit' (after playing major part in the 6 game unbeaten run) i should imagine isnt going to be happy is he?! Leave towd Doyley there for the time bein', work Wallace back into it... If its not brok n'all that

Playing Higdon or similar up front needs lots of crosses into the box, something that we just dont seem to have been doing. It was the same when we had Kitson. That sort of player wont score many with the ball played to feet - unless its a foot from goal.

Back
Top Bottom