the cups

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

judge

Reaction score
Lets be honest ,they totally derailed our season didnt they ?

Resulted in nothing other than a patronising pat on the head from people who dont matter ,a self congratulatory pat on the back from people who do and now the manager is explaining how difficult it is to balance these cup runs with consistent league form

Am i the only one who sees the utter lunacy in all this ?

Probably not

I love our cup runs and if the poor darlings can't be energised from a successful cup run then chuff 'em!

Exactly, especially with the amount of players we have in the squad.

We should still have the energy at this time of the season regardless of the cup runs.

How was it successful ?
Did you not enjoy ,the 2 games with Spurs ,Villa away ,Charlton ,Forest ,Southampton West ham etc etc ?
Surely that is success for us ,otherwise how do you justify winning league games ,we aren't going to win the league so why not enjoy the small success when it happens.

Resulted in nothing other than a patronising pat on the head from people who dont matter ,a self congratulatory pat on the back from people who do and now the manager is explaining how difficult it is to balance these cup runs with consistent league form

Welcome back. Give us a hug.

No.

Patronising wind up thread?

Yes.

Did you not enjoy ,the 2 games with Spurs ,Villa away ,Charlton ,Forest ,Southampton West ham etc etc ?
Surely that is success for us ,otherwise how do you justify winning league games ,we aren't going to win the league so why not enjoy the small success when it happens.
We arent going to win the cups either , surely promotion should be our total focus and we shoukd rest players so they are fit and motivated for crucial stages of the season like this
No.

Patronising wind up thread?

Yes.
im honestly not on the wind up , im wound up
Wound up that the clubs attitude seems to be very small time but if the fans are happy with that then can hardly blame them

Only one team is successful in any cup competition.

We've been to enough Semi Finals in the last 30 years that if it's a choice between being knocked out in the Semi or the first round, I'd choose the first so it doesn't impact on the league.

I'm all for trying to win a cup but that ain't going to happen when we're in league one with league one players. We should be looking to get into higher leagues then go for the cups when have a chance of achieving something big like winning it or at the very least making a final.

- Yes they were great, comparable to the Warnock years when we were a division higher.

Surely that is success for us ,otherwise how do you justify winning league games ,we aren't going to win the league

- Why not? Why couldn't NC take pride in last season's run but say that the league is the priority? I would swap getting thumped 5-0 against any of the cup teams this season for 3 points against Fleetwood, Crewe, Coventry, Peterborough, Yeovil, Scunthorpe, Walsall. Because those 21 points would have us sitting nicely in 2nd, not struggling into a knock out competition, we have failed to come through the last 7 times we have had a go.

Why not enjoy the small success when it happens.

- Because it looks like we have wasted another season and another Saudi Arabian £15 million pissing about in this shit league whilst everyone else cracks on with getting out of it.

It's quite a realistic possibility that you will be attending a half empty Bramall Lane, watching sidewards football against Burton Albion or Newport, whilst Bournemouth and Brentford are in the Premier League, Sheffield Wednesday are pushing for the Premier League and Rotherham United and Chesterfield are sitting comfortably in the Championship.

But you know small success' eh?

We arent going to win the cups either , surely promotion should be our total focus and we shoukd rest players so they are fit and motivated for crucial stages of the season like this
im honestly not on the wind up , im wound up
Wound up that the clubs attitude seems to be very small time but if the fans are happy with that then can hardly blame them
Ah so youre blaming the fans.

The cups raised enough money for a new pitch, the Brayford signing, as well as put about 5,000 fans onto the average attendance this year at whatever extra income that is, if also gave young fans a exciting taste of what 'success' looks like, and gave any fan some excitement. They also gave the club a lot of positive press - which we've bloody needed over the past year or so.

They also probably showed the prince what could be if we get it right whilst he's around, and are hopefully enough to keep him around if it takes us a little longer to get promoted than first thought.

I wish/hope we have cup runs like that every year.

The cups raised enough money for a new pitch, the Brayford signing, as well as put about 5,000 fans onto the average attendance this year at whatever extra income that is, if also gave young fans a exciting taste of what 'success' looks like, and gave any fan some excitement. They also gave the club a lot of positive press - which we've bloody needed over the past year or so.

They also probably showed the prince what could be if we get it right whilst he's around, and are hopefully enough to keep him around if it takes us a little longer to get promoted than first thought.

I wish/hope we have cup runs like that every year.
The cups are the good thing that's come out of this season.
Nowt fucking else to shout about.

the season's been shit since we went out of the cups and in fairness, last season we went closer to winning the FA Cup than the league, this season to the League Cup.

I say lets forget the league next season and go for both cups

the season's been shit since we went out of the cups and in fairness, last season we went closer to winning the FA Cup than the league, this season to the League Cup.

I say lets forget the league next season and go for both cups
Think thats the boardroom Strategy for this season and last tbh

the Brayford signing, as well as put about 5,000 fans onto the average attendance this year at whatever extra income that is
Eh? The gates haven't shifted.

If we don't exit this division, which feels unlikely, Brayford has proved a really, really expensive mistake.

UTB

Most lame excuse since James Beattie had the "flu".

I would rather we were knocked out of both cups first round both seasons, to be in the Championship now. No brainer.
I completely agree - if it were able to be proven that the cup runs have seriously damaged our league form then as exciting as they were I personally would give them up.
I think there was a post on here during the cup runs asking for opinion whether fans would rather win the fa cup or get promotion

The latter for me .. Again absolute no brainer .. I am so sick of league 1

Eh? The gates haven't shifted.

If we don't exit this division, which feels unlikely, Brayford has proved a really, really expensive mistake.

UTB

What I meant was that the cup success last year probably kept 5000 on the gates for this year, mainly through season tickets. We've had unbelievable attendances this year for the 3rd tier. I reckon we would have been down around the 15K mark this season had we not had the cup run and strong finish to last season.

The gates have gone up this year a small margin as well.

I'll join in todays round of what if. What if we had been promoted instead of having the cup runs?

We would have just drawn a league game with (enter Championship team of choice), cue the Clough out, we are too big for this division, we should be aiming for the Premiership etc posts. Given how strong the Championship is this season, even being very optimistic I don't think we would have been challenging.

Each season has to be taken on its total not as an either or. Last season we reached a cup semi final and missed out on the play offs, this season we reached a cup semi final and should make the play offs. That will be progress, even if the amount of progress achieved is not to everyone's satisfaction.

I'll join in todays round of what if. What if we had been promoted instead of having the cup runs?

We would have just drawn a league game with (enter Championship team of choice), cue the Clough out, we are too big for this division, we should be aiming for the Premiership etc posts. Given how strong the Championship is this season, even being very optimistic I don't think we would have been challenging.

Each season has to be taken on its total not as an either or. Last season we reached a cup semi final and missed out on the play offs, this season we reached a cup semi final and should make the play offs. That will be progress, even if the amount of progress achieved is not to everyone's satisfaction.

After 4 years of League One football, the opportunity to draw with a Championship club would be delightful.

Next season then if we don't get to the semi finals is that going to be classed as going backwards?

Back
Top Bottom