The Clough O'Meter 24/1/15

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Clough O'Meter vote 24/1/15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
Seen similar around the net for managers so I thought I would give it a whirl on here. Made a Grade 7 balls up so if you want number 7 then post it as a post. (Schoolboy error).

ibamc4.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-25_21-41-2.png
    upload_2015-1-25_21-41-2.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Well that's a big embarrassing kick in the balls isn't it hahaha. Will ammend.

I have to go 4...

We really need to back him because we really don't have a choice, some of the subs, starting positions, and player treatments are baffling beyond belief, the league form is crap and the cup runs would be the only thing keeping him in a job if his name wasn't clough...

We don't really wanna start all over again with the same old faces, boom and bust, sign billy sharp and john stead "etc", because if were rebuilding, then we need to give time to do it right, our playing style is being grounded into the players so if and when we go up, we will be used to the way we need to play at that level and stay there... we need to bite the bullet here till we get up, that's my opinion, its how I deal with it..

I will say this though... if we were out of the cups, not signed brayford, but were top of this league, he would be a 100% vote on number 6, and that says it all really..

Lets not even think about changing a manager for at least a couple of years. we are a long term project for Clough and we all agreed there would be difficult results now and again until the job is complete. The foundations are in and the brickwork is starting to appear and with some new nice additions there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel. That's enough from cliché hell ,just get behind the fucking manager and the team and lets all pull together.

Still think his progress has been hampered by a strategy of restraint on what he could do until a certain matter had proved a non starter. I have been as critical as anybody until now based on the lack of activity in previous windows. But yesterday signalled to all Blades we are on our way with a clean sheet of paper and a feeling we are all Blades together.

Seen similar around the net for managers so I thought I would give it a whirl on here. Made a Grade 7 balls up so if you want number 7 then post it as a post. (Schoolboy error).

ibamc4.jpg
This would be better if you did it at the start of the season,then lets say half way through the season and then at the end of the season,you'd then get a good gauge of how people feel about the manager(on here anyway).So i think it would be a good idea to start this at the end of the season,on a clean slate so to speak and you'd then get a more accurate answer,instead of the skewed ones you'd get now after the signings we've just made and propably more to come in.

If i was to give an answer now i'd go for none of the above.I'm still unconvinced with our approach in games and we haven't got our talisman in yet as McNulty is being used sparingly,hopefully this will arive in due course.

I do think we will get in the playoffs and then it's down to how we approach each and everyone of those games,by which time i'm hoping Clough has sorted this aspect of our game out,which in actual fact to get in the playoffs you'd have thought he would have done.I certainly want to see him here for the many years ahead of us,that will then hopefully mean he's doing a good job for us.We need stability.

Got to go 4 but edging towards 5 until we get a good striker in we will not really see how good Clough is. So far this season we have been far too negative in some games and worry too much about the opposition. Some of Nigels team selections and timing of subs do I think it is fair to say have a lot of fans thinking WTF ? Also I don't like to hear him slagging players off to the media for me that should stay in the dressing room. For the first time in years the board of SUFC look like they are backing the manager, shame it has come a bit too late for us to threaten the top two. Here's hoping we can get into the play offs with some form and momentum, if we get a striker in we will have the tools for the job ............... then it is over to you Nigel.

Gone 4

What has happened this last week should've taken place at the start of the season and someone is at fault. I appreciate players may not have been available back then, but I'm inclined to think that perhaps they were, but we wouldn't loosen the purse strings. I haven't forgot what the Barnsley MD (whoever) publically announcing that we couldn't afford COG and apparently this is the 5th bid to land Brayford, Sometimes I get the impression we dilly dally too much

Whether responsibility lies with the board or Cloughy remains to be seen, but we find ourselves almost certainly out of the running for a top 2 place

Here's to sustained push to make the play-offs

UTB

I'm 5/6. Used to be 7 but the league form has reduced this. I realise teams set up differently against us in the league but to be honest, we should have torn this league a new one

ibamc4.jpg

I wouldnt say he is the best manager in the business , but he is in the top one.

History will tell how good he was.

UTB

My main concern is his brother - the world is wider than the Peak district and the lower reaches of Scotland.

I think Brayford will solve the manager's natural conservatism by pushing the whole team forward positively. He will also lift the mood in the dressing room and on the terraces. Has to be captain before long.

I suspect we will be playing 2 up front a lot from now on.

It's not the first time I've seen that kind of quote about his brother.

Just for the record Woodward, would that be the same brother that scouted then signed Bryson (300k), Martin (FREE), Russell (650k), Forsyth (150k), Grant (FREE), Buxton (FREE), Ward (300k), Keogh (1m), Brayford (400k), Coutts (150k), Eustace (FREE).

That's 11 players for less than 3m quid. Chris Martin on his own is worth that now. 9 of them still first team regulars for a promotion chasing Derby, the other two back here at the Lane.

I don't think his brother is too shabby at all when it comes to signings, geographically restricted or not.

Gone 4

What has happened this last week should've taken place at the start of the season and someone is at fault. I appreciate players may not have been available back then, but I'm inclined to think that perhaps they were, but we wouldn't loosen the purse strings. I haven't forgot what the Barnsley MD (whoever) publically announcing that we couldn't afford COG and apparently this is the 5th bid to land Brayford, Sometimes I get the impression we dilly dally too much

Whether responsibility lies with the board or Cloughy remains to be seen, but we find ourselves almost certainly out of the running for a top 2 place

Here's to sustained push to make the play-offs

UTB

Don't get that mate, it's like complaining because you've won the lottery now, rather than a couple of decades ago. It happens when it happens and not before.

Whatever the reasons for this level of activity, there were obviously reasons why it didn't happen previously that were outside of United's control. Let's just be happy the club isn't happy simply to hoard money, but spend it when the opportunities present themselves. A good week all round.

It's not the first time I've seen that kind of quote about his brother.

Just for the record Woodward, would that be the same brother that scouted then signed Bryson (300k), Martin (FREE), Russell (650k), Forsyth (150k), Grant (FREE), Buxton (FREE), Ward (300k), Keogh (1m), Brayford (400k), Coutts (150k), Eustace (FREE).

That's 11 players for less than 3m quid. Chris Martin on his own is worth that now. 9 of them still first team regulars for a promotion chasing Derby, the other two back here at the Lane.

I don't think his brother is too shabby at all when it comes to signings, geographically restricted or not.

Well written and good on you for backing it up with players names and values.

Some people have bees in bonnets that are hard to shake off.

Just remind me.............league cup semi final second leg on Wednesday, FA Cup 4th round replay week on Tuesday, possible 5th round looking good, all on the back of an FA Cup semi last season, great run in league last season - 8th in league this season......oh dear Clough is shit - sack him due to pathetic league form. ;)

As for the vote - it's always been in Nigel we trust - and that means ALL his managerial team. Can't see any reason for it to be any different, only 16 months into the job. Patience is a virtue.

UTB

Last edited:
Lets not even think about changing a manager for at least a couple of years. we are a long term project for Clough and we all agreed there would be difficult results now and again until the job is complete. The foundations are in and the brickwork is starting to appear and with some new nice additions there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel. That's enough from cliché hell ,just get behind the fucking manager and the team and lets all pull together.
Ditto. Av a likey.

My main concern is his brother - the world is wider than the Peak district and the lower reaches of Scotland.

I think Brayford will solve the manager's natural conservatism by pushing the whole team forward positively. He will also lift the mood in the dressing room and on the terraces. Has to be captain before long.

I suspect we will be playing 2 up front a lot from now on.

Remember were Mr Clough goes Mr Clough brother goes with him. They are a partnership and duo , which works.

Both are part of the SUFC dynasty .

Chuckle Brothers are down at the New York Stadium not BDTBL.

UTB

Remember were Mr Clough goes Mr Clough brother goes with him. They are a partnership and duo , which works.

Both are part of the SUFC dynasty .

Chuckle Brothers are down at the New York Stadium not BDTBL.

UTB

That may be true but it also might be the reason that Derby did not have confidence in the pair of them taking their club to the next level.

Derby held their own under Clough but did not " kick on". Apart from the cups, which should not be ignored of course, the same could be happening to us in the league and it has come as a shock.

The new expenditure is welcome but it might paper over some cracks for a while. Let's hope Simon comes up with some great finds and I don't mean the Brayfords and O'Gradys of this world, a muppet could line those signings up. I mean The ex-Derby old boys source will dry up before long and Simon will have to look beyond Derby and Ilkeston. He's done a bit in Scotland and at Blackpool FC, but there is little evidence his railway rover ticket covers other areas!! Big question mark there for me.

That may be true but it also might be the reason that Derby did not have confidence in the pair of them taking their club to the next level.

Derby held their own under Clough but did not " kick on". Apart from the cups, which should not be ignored of course, the same could be happening to us in the league and it has come as a shock.

The new expenditure is welcome but it might paper over some cracks for a while. Let's hope Simon comes up with some great finds and I don't mean the Brayfords and O'Gradys of this world, a muppet could line those signings up. I mean The ex-Derby old boys source will dry up before long and Simon will have to look beyond Derby and Ilkeston. He's done a bit in Scotland and at Blackpool FC, but there is little evidence his railway rover ticket covers other areas!! Big question mark there for me.

The answer to much of what's written there is best captured in the use of the word may in the very first line. In short, there's no more insight than the accusations being pointed at Clough and his brother. All supposition and possibilities, not an ounce of fact, just opinion laid on top of opinion. There's little evidence of you understanding what actually goes on. Be patient and let those in office do what they're paid to do.

So the part where I listed his (fairly) successful signings, you missed or you totally ignored?

Grant - Burnley
Forsyth - Watford
Buxton - Burton Albion
Keogh - Coventry
Bryson - Kilmarnock
Coutts - Preston North End
Brayford - Crewe Alexandra
Eustace - Watford
Russel - Dundee Utd
Ward - Sheffield United
Martin - Norwich

You're even having a pop at his signings since he got here,

the lads from Blackpool, Harris, Basham and McGahey (any of them poor signings?) any of them cost a lot of cash?

What about he ex Derby lads? Brayford? Coutts? Ben Davies? Freeman? Any of them poor signings?

Then the others. geographically?

McEverley - free and from Swindon?
Scougall - couple of hundred k from Scotland?
Alcock - free from Peterborough?
McNulty - 150k?
JCR - free?
Wallace x 2 - James from Tranmere and the Ilkeston lad
Higdon from Holland?

I've got a feeling you read somewhere that the scouting is done in Derby and Scotland and you've stuck to that.

Forgetting that actually they've signed players from South to North, from East to West.

The ex Derby lads he's brought them in cos he knows who they are and what they do.

So far I'd say he's got more right than wrong in the transfer market. Both here and at Derby where their new scouts HAVE STILL NOT FOUND A PLAYER GOOD ENOUGH TO DISLODGE HIS SIGNINGS 17 MONTHS AFTER THEY LEFT. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
The answer to much of what's written there is best captured in the use of the word may in the very first line. In short, there's no more insight than the accusations being pointed at Clough and his brother. All supposition and possibilities, not an ounce of fact, just opinion laid on top of opinion. There's little evidence of you understanding what actually goes on. Be patient and let those in office do what they're paid to do.

Of course, but this is a forum for opinion and debate and facts in the game form a fraction of the interest no matter who you are. Very few on here have inside knowledge and, even if they did, who's to say that would be fact? and not opinion!!

However it is a fact that Derby sacked Clough and that many Derby fans recently repeated jokes about Simon Clough's range of vision and operation when we returned for two more Derby lads this week and signed a further Derby old boy a couple of days after. It is also a fact that over 90% of our signings are from Derby, Derby old boys, Ilkeston nr Derby, Scotland lower reaches and Blackpool. All facts; now what else did I say?:)

This whole thread is about opinion surely. I just happen to have quoted loads of facts.

why go to Columbia or Botswana when there are decent players on your doorstep.

Yeah but we don't want Bill Sockets we want players with names like Sergio Scorchio who plied their trades on the beaches of the Ivory Coast or perhaps Sutton-in-Ashfield.

I do get sick to my back teeth of this bollocks fishwife speak even in the most positive of times when we have lashed out the cash to show our intent.

Everyone goes on about the disease of too many foreign mercenaries in the game then we go straight for the fancy name pot. Do players called John and Paul score you less points these days?

Of course, but this is a forum for opinion and debate and facts in the game form a fraction of the interest no matter who you are. Very few on here have inside knowledge and, even if they did, who's to say that would be fact? and not opinion!!

However it is a fact that Derby sacked Clough and that many Derby fans recently repeated jokes about Simon Clough's range of vision and operation when we returned for two more Derby lads this week and signed a further Derby old boy a couple of days after. It is also a fact that over 90% of our signings are from Derby, Derby old boys, Ilkeston nr Derby, Scotland lower reaches and Blackpool. All facts; now what else did I say?:)

This whole thread is about opinion surely. I just happen to have quoted loads of facts.

No, you misunderstand. Quote away, but the inference is what matters. If you have a lack of faith, or reliable understanding, of what it takes to make SUFC run like an operation that strives to move forward that's not an issue. Most of us haven't a clue about the behind-the-scenes stuff that makes up the daily happenings at United. It's just that sometimes posters seem to confuse conviction with their point of view. Surely that's fair to comment on? ;)

Back
Top Bottom