The Class of 2011

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/spo...n-former-sheffield-united-youngster-1-7282962

As Elliot Whitehouse is released by Notts County and joins Conference side Halifax, we ask the question "Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads?"

Thanks to Balham Blade for most of the answers:-

There were 16 players involved in the Youth Cup final. 9 have subsequently been released and we sold two, Slew and Maguire, for a combined £3.6m. Of the rest, 5 remain at United but two of those are on loan with little prospect of making it at the Lane (Ironside and McFadzean). The three currently at United are Kennedy, Long and Willis.

Those who left have gone various different ways with Carlos Pomares probably playing at the highest level with Levante B in the Spanish third tier. Elliot Whitehouse is on the books at Notts County but has yet to make an appearance for them

I don't know who Wilkinson or Martin are but they're not with us any more.

FA Youth Cup final side:
George Long (SUFC)
Ben Montgomery (released)
Aaron Barry (released, now at Derry City)
Matty Harriott (released, now at Hayes & Yeading (Conference South, 6th tier)
Harry Maguire (£2.5m to Hull City)
Terry Kennedy (SUFC)
Corey Gregory (released, now at Matlock Town (Northern Premier League Premier Division (7th tier)))
Elliot Whitehouse (released, now at Notts County)
Joe Ironside (SUFC, on loan at Hartlepool)
Jordan Slew (£1.1m to Blackburn, on loan at Port Vale)
Callum McFadzean (SUFC, on loan at Burton)

Subs:
George Willis (SUFC)
Carlos Pomares (released, now at Levante B (Spanish Segundo B (3rd tier)))
Poyra Ahmadi (released, now at Droylesden (Northern Premier League Div 1 (8th tier)))
? Wilkinson (?)
? Martin (?)

There was nothing that promising about any of them in the end.

Interesting stuff. My 38yo brother-in-law has been involved in amateur football since he was 16 and seen a number of players make the step up and the step down in his time, and has nothing good to say about the set-up of Youth football. Basically says that lads who physically gain a stride or two on their contemporaries (develop early) do well in competition football and succeed for a short time and less physical but more technical players tend to fall by the wayside. When the playing fields are levelled and players stop developing physically, the success dries up. It explains some way why England U19s are world-beaters but the senior side... aren't.

I remember watching some youth games and thinking what a great prospect Matty Harriot looked, but it was Maguire who stood out, he dealt with everything.

I remember watching some youth games and thinking what a great prospect Matty Harriot looked, but it was Maguire who stood out, he dealt with everything.

That pretty much ties in with what Mousey says doesn't it?

Harry was, physically (and indeed literally) head and shoulders above the others because of his size and physical development.
For what it's worth I thought Kennedy the better player but a lot less physically imposing.

Interesting stuff. My 38yo brother-in-law has been involved in amateur football since he was 16 and seen a number of players make the step up and the step down in his time, and has nothing good to say about the set-up of Youth football. Basically says that lads who physically gain a stride or two on their contemporaries (develop early) do well in competition football and succeed for a short time and less physical but more technical players tend to fall by the wayside. When the playing fields are levelled and players stop developing physically, the success dries up. It explains some way why England U19s are world-beaters but the senior side... aren't.

The exception being Paul Pogba, who was, both literally and figuratively, head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch that night at OT, and is now regarded as one of the best in the world. One of Fergies rare dropped bollocks. I agree though that we place far too much importance on the 'here and now' in this country. Clearly a big lad is going to dominate a small lad in youth football, it takes some vision to see the likely trajectory of both though and nurture the right ones, ie those most likely to be good in 5 years. No coincidence that Spain has about 5 x the number of qualified coaches we have.

Out of curiosity I've had a look at the Man Utd team of 2011.

Sam Johnstone (GK) - Still on the books at Man Utd, spent some time on loan at Preston recently
Michael Keane (DF) - Burnley, cost them 2 mill back in Jan.
Sean McGinty (DF) - Currently without a club released by Rochdale. Was on our books at one point but only made 2 appearances.
Tom Thorpe (DF) - About to be released by Man Utd.
Michele Fornasier (DF) - Last seen at Sampdoria.
Ryan Tunnicliffe (MF) - On the books at Fulham, but not in 1st team plans.
Jesse Lingard (MF/ST) - On the books at Man Utd, bright prospect, spent some time on loan at Derby/Birmingham in the championship recently.
Paul Pogba - Now a world class central midfielder. Bollock dropped by Ferguson.
Will Keane - Currently out of contract? Less than prolific spell at the Grunts last season.
Ravel Morrison - Released by West Ham, arsehole by all accounts but decent player.
Van Velzen - Plays for FC Utrecht?!

Out of all of those I guess you can say the only one that made it from Man Utds perspective was Pogba. From ours it was Maguire (perhaps Kennedy if he didn't have glass legs).

That pretty much ties in with what Mousey says doesn't it?

Harry was, physically (and indeed literally) head and shoulders above the others because of his size and physical development.
For what it's worth I thought Kennedy the better player but a lot less physically imposing.

Yes mate it does tie in with what Mousey said.

T Kennedy was good as well, I agree, so was George Long of course. Maybe it was just the games I saw, but Harriott looked destined for better things, and while I am on about that team, I was never that convinced about Jordan Slew, even though he scored a few.

Clearly a big lad is going to dominate a small lad in youth football, it takes some vision to see the likely trajectory of both though and nurture the right ones, ie those most likely to be good in 5 years. No coincidence that Spain has about 5 x the number of qualified coaches we have.
It's not an easy fix, is it? While ever there is competition, regardless of the level, clubs are going to focus on developing players that are going to win.

Out of curiosity I've had a look at the Man Utd team of 2011.

Sam Johnstone (GK) - Still on the books at Man Utd, spent some time on loan at Preston recently
Michael Keane (DF) - Burnley, cost them 2 mill back in Jan.
Sean McGinty (DF) - Currently without a club released by Rochdale. Was on our books at one point but only made 2 appearances.
Tom Thorpe (DF) - About to be released by Man Utd.
Michele Fornasier (DF) - Last seen at Sampdoria.
Ryan Tunnicliffe (MF) - On the books at Fulham, but not in 1st team plans.
Jesse Lingard (MF/ST) - On the books at Man Utd, bright prospect, spent some time on loan at Derby/Birmingham in the championship recently.
Paul Pogba - Now a world class central midfielder. Bollock dropped by Ferguson.
Will Keane - Currently out of contract? Less than prolific spell at the Grunts last season.
Ravel Morrison - Released by West Ham, arsehole by all accounts but decent player.
Van Velzen - Plays for FC Utrecht?!

Out of all of those I guess you can say the only one that made it from Man Utds perspective was Pogba. From ours it was Maguire (perhaps Kennedy if he didn't have glass legs).
Hardly their class of 92 is it

Back
Top Bottom