The Catalyst

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coaxingstar71

First 10 yards are in the head
Reaction score
I've read a number of posts following the game last night and the consensus appears to be that although we won 5-1, County were extremely poor, therefore this is no benchmark to show an improvement in our fortunes. Well, allow me if you will to see the silver lining behind the clouds.

When was the last time you saw a side lose 5-1 and thought, wow, they played well and were unlucky to lose?

The point I'm trying to make is, we can only beat who is in front of us and whether we perceive the other team played badly or not, there's not much else you can do than win comfortably. Perhaps the reason they played so badly is because we played well? I suppose some people are never happy.

The other thing is, and this is being really optimistic, maybe last nights result could act as a catalyst for the rest of the season, or at least for a run of games? I can almost taste the ridicule coming my way, but wait, I have evidence....

January 1984 - promotion bid stuttering, poor away form, then played Rotherham away in this competition in it's original format, the Associate Members Cup, won 1-0 away with a gritty performance. Colin Morris himself was quoted as saying that this game was the turning point of the season and gave the team renewed belief.

December 1990 - first season back in Div 1/Premier League under Bassett. No wins and very few goals in first 16 league games. Beat Oldham 7-2 in Zenith Data Systems tie in midweek, then went on to beat Forest at home 3-2, which kick started our season resulting ultimately in safety from relegation. I believe Bassett was quoted as saying the Oldham game made the players believe they could score goals after all.

So, I've got my red and white tinted bladey blade glasses on and I live in hope.............. die in Castleton.

When was the last time you saw a side lose 5-1 and thought, wow, they played well and were unlucky to lose?.

When we beat Huddersfield 5-1 in 1989.

I agree - a win can only be a good thing. I remember what Morris said and I was at the Oldham game - amazing what you can do when you drop Vinnie Jones.

Good, crisp, accurate passing done at a pace that had County on the back foot for much of the game. Just shows that the ability and technical skill is there, and a real pleasure to watch. Ideal system for players like Done and Scougall.

It's certainly a positive and I really hope the OP is correct. It could be a catalyst but last season we talked so often about the cup performances being a catalyst. I was sure Southampton at home was a turning point as it coincided with the signing of O Grady but it was followed by a dire 1-1 with Walsall at the lane.

Then our performances against Spurs coupled with the signing of Brayford got me onto a high again and we then gave that gutless display in the cup replay against Preston.

Done's signing and the 4-1 win against Colchester gave me some renewed optimism which lasted for about 3 games i think only for the horrendous double header against Peterborough and Fleetwood to kill it again.

So whilst i hope this will be a catalyst, the number of false dawns of recent times makes me cautious.

It's certainly a positive and I really hope the OP is correct. It could be a catalyst but last season we talked so often about the cup performances being a catalyst. I was sure Southampton at home was a turning point as it coincided with the signing of O Grady but it was followed by a dire 1-1 with Walsall at the lane.

Then our performances against Spurs coupled with the signing of Brayford got me onto a high again and we then gave that gutless display in the cup replay against Preston.

Done's signing and the 4-1 win against Colchester gave me some renewed optimism which lasted for about 3 games i think only for the horrendous double header against Peterborough and Fleetwood to kill it again.

So whilst i hope this will be a catalyst, the number of false dawns of recent times makes me cautious.

I said it was optimistic!

And thanks for reminding me of some terrible performances last season! Wasn't the Crewe game in there too?

I can only say that the main difference is that Negative Nige was at the helm then.

I said it was optimistic!

And thanks for reminding me of some terrible performances last season! Wasn't the Crewe game in there too?

I can only say that the main difference is that Negative Nige was at the helm then.

Yes it was but from memory, I don't think it was immediately preceded by a result that might be deemed a catalyst.

Let's hope Pos Nige can carry some momentum better than neg Nige eh?

Yes it was but from memory, I don't think it was immediately preceded by a result that might be deemed a catalyst.

Let's hope Pos Nige can carry some momentum better than neg Nige eh?

And I think that is a really good point. How many times did we win a few games and then put in a really turgid performance? At home, I believe we should be battering teams for at least the first 20 or 30 minutes, but more often than not, we started like we were playing a practice match.

Cost me £85 when my catalyst packed in which I didn't think was a bad price for a Focus ....................................... oh wrong type of catalyst sorry.

Cost me £85 when my catalyst packed in which I didn't think was a bad price for a Focus ....................................... oh wrong type of catalyst sorry.

I've often wondered what these were for. Now I know :):tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

I've read a number of posts following the game last night and the consensus appears to be that although we won 5-1, County were extremely poor, therefore this is no benchmark to show an improvement in our fortunes. Well, allow me if you will to see the silver lining behind the clouds.

When was the last time you saw a side lose 5-1 and thought, wow, they played well and were unlucky to lose?

The point I'm trying to make is, we can only beat who is in front of us and whether we perceive the other team played badly or not, there's not much else you can do than win comfortably. Perhaps the reason they played so badly is because we played well? I suppose some people are never happy.

The other thing is, and this is being really optimistic, maybe last nights result could act as a catalyst for the rest of the season, or at least for a run of games? I can almost taste the ridicule coming my way, but wait, I have evidence....

January 1984 - promotion bid stuttering, poor away form, then played Rotherham away in this competition in it's original format, the Associate Members Cup, won 1-0 away with a gritty performance. Colin Morris himself was quoted as saying that this game was the turning point of the season and gave the team renewed belief.

December 1990 - first season back in Div 1/Premier League under Bassett. No wins and very few goals in first 16 league games. Beat Oldham 7-2 in Zenith Data Systems tie in midweek, then went on to beat Forest at home 3-2, which kick started our season resulting ultimately in safety from relegation. I believe Bassett was quoted as saying the Oldham game made the players believe they could score goals after all.

So, I've got my red and white tinted bladey blade glasses on and I live in hope.............. die in Castleton.

What happened after we beat Cardiff 6-1 away?

As I said elsewhere for me the real key last night was the speed of passing. In many ways we played similar to how we have in several games but the ball just moved quicker.

As I said elsewhere for me the real key last night was the speed of passing. In many ways we played similar to how we have in several games but the ball just moved quicker.

Only seen the highlights but it looked as though we were trying more difficult forward passes?

Only seen the highlights but it looked as though we were trying more difficult forward passes?

For me it was apparent from the outset that the speed of the ball over the ground was just quicker.

Even last season a lot of the time the complaint was that whatever it was we were trying to do we were just doing it too slowly.

Adkins has also mentioned this shortcoming in a couple of interviews. Last night I thought we picked up the pace.

If it happened at all, there might be all sorts of reasons: formation means availability of players to pass to, basic work on movement - same, whatever it was the ball just seemed to zip across the surface.

As for the more difficult passing, there's something in that as well. Adams blew hot and cold but at least a couple of times he played slide rule through balls from around the centre circle - not what you'd expect at all - as did Scoogs.

The whole thing was a real pleasure to watch.

But can we do it against a committed opposition?

I thought the Blackpool game at the Lane showed a microcosm of this; first half we were turgid and slow, second half we moved the ball much quicker and it paid dividends.

Trouble is, we tonked Lincoln City 6-1 in the League Cup in 1999/00 (or maybe 2000/1) and still remained shite afterwards.
I agree with the jist of the argument though.

Its difficult to get excited about a JPT win against a league two side when you're getting dicked in the league by Gillingham, Bury, Colchester and Port facking vale. But nonetheless, a win a win and we move forward with confidence.

Blades 0 - 4 Rochdale

Back
Top Bottom