That question pre season- Is this team good enough?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
I remember it clear as anything and to be honest hearing Adkins answer it honestly and bluntly instantly earned him a great deal of admiration from me.

Fan: "Nigel, having assessed the team now. Do you think this squad is good enough to get promoted".
Nigel Adkins: "No! Simple question to answer that one. No I don't."

I remember thinking to myself "this is great stuff", this man knows that this team isn't good enough and he wants to get rid of the dead wood and bring in some real quality. He knows what type of player he needs to get promotion as he has been there and done it!...Exciting times!!.......

He brought in Sharp and Sammon but other than we witnessed no other real arrivals or departures which either means Adkins changed his mind on his own accord or alternatively some other influences forced him to change his mind.

In a sense I feel sorry for Adkins in the respect that he came into the club in the circumstances that he did. Our failed play-off attempt last year combined with the fact that the board bankrolled so many signings for Clough surely means that the board think.

a) This squad must be good enough after all it got to a play-off semi final. With the right guidance this squad can go one step further.

b) Tough titty Mr Adkins! We bankrolled these players and they are contracted to the club. You will use them and you will make them good enough.

You have to ask yourself why Nigel Adkins openly admitted that this squad wasn't good enough yet didn't make the wholesale changes required in the window to address this??

Suddenly in tonight's post match interview you get a sense of realisation from Mr Adkins. After brushing it off for a few weeks we suddenly get a feeling that Nigel wants to speak out about just how poor his tools are for the job at hand, but with the window closed and only the loan window to play with, Nigel has a few tough months in front of him until he can address it correctly in the January transfer window.

Please, please, please! Let today be an eye opener for anyone at Sheffield United Football Club who requires it. I don't want to sit here pointing the finger of blame at anyone in particular however any personnel at the club who need a kick up the arse, let it be now!

Why has it taken a quarter of the way through the season to realise and acknowledge that we aren't good enough when the manager told us that this was the case before the first ball was even kicked?

Secondly. How are we going to put this right?

I remember it clear as anything and to be honest hearing Adkins answer it honestly and bluntly instantly earned him a great deal of admiration from me.

Fan: "Nigel, having assessed the team now. Do you think this squad is good enough to get promoted".
Nigel Adkins: "No! Simple question to answer that one. No I don't."

I remember thinking to myself "this is great stuff", this man knows that this team isn't good enough and he wants to get rid of the dead wood and bring in some real quality. He knows what type of player he needs to get promotion as he has been there and done it!...Exciting times!!.......

He brought in Sharp and Sammon but other than we witnessed no other real arrivals or departures which either means Adkins changed his mind on his own accord or alternatively some other influences forced him to change his mind.

In a sense I feel sorry for Adkins in the respect that he came into the club in the circumstances that he did. Our failed play-off attempt last year combined with the fact that the board bankrolled so many signings for Clough surely means that the board think.

a) This squad must be good enough after all it got to a play-off semi final. With the right guidance this squad can go one step further.

b) Tough titty Mr Adkins! We bankrolled these players and they are contracted to the club. You will use them and you will make them good enough.

You have to ask yourself why Nigel Adkins openly admitted that this squad wasn't good enough yet didn't make the wholesale changes required in the window to address this??

Suddenly in tonight's post match interview you get a sense of realisation from Mr Adkins. After brushing it off for a few weeks we suddenly get a feeling that Nigel wants to speak out about just how poor his tools are for the job at hand, but with the window closed and only the loan window to play with, Nigel has a few tough months in front of him until he can address it correctly in the January transfer window.

Please, please, please! Let today be an eye opener for anyone at Sheffield United Football Club who requires it. I don't want to sit here pointing the finger of blame at anyone in particular however any personnel at the club who need a kick up the arse, let it be now!

Why has it taken a quarter of the way through the season to realise and acknowledge that we aren't good enough when the manager told us that this was the case before the first ball was even kicked?

Secondly. How are we going to put this right?

Did Nigel say that before the season started ?, can't remember but I'll take your word for it GM. How to put it right ?. At the moment we can do nothing more than back the manager and hope players returning from injury can make a difference, Doan back on the score sheet helps for starters. I don't think we can make any serious strides forward until the next transfer window whilst hoping we can still cling to the shirt tails of the play off chasing pack. The sticking plaster solution (loan players) doesn't seem to be working for us, the Hammond thing is now a joke. Tough couple a months ahead.

Clearly there are financial issues stopping us buying players. Or even loaning them.

We have a large, expensive and average squad and until people offer to buy them, they aren't going anywhere.

I also dread to think what a waste of wages we currently have sitting in the treatment room.

He'll know the squad isn't good enough, he just can't do anything about it.

Until Clough gets a job and takes all his shite with him!

Clearly there are financial issues stopping us buying players. Or even loaning them.

We have a large, expensive and average squad and until people offer to buy them, they aren't going anywhere.

I also dread to think what a waste of wages we currently have sitting in the treatment room.

Don't Rotherham owe us a favour?

Did Nigel say that before the season started ?, can't remember but I'll take your word for it GM. How to put it right ?. At the moment we can do nothing more than back the manager and hope players returning from injury can make a difference, Doan back on the score sheet helps for starters. I don't think we can make any serious strides forward until the next transfer window whilst hoping we can still cling to the shirt tails of the play off chasing pack. The sticking plaster solution (loan players) doesn't seem to be working for us, the Hammond thing is now a joke. Tough couple a months ahead.

Yes mate he did. He was asked the question at the meet the manager evening down at Bramall Lane and that was his answer at the time which won him some serious Brownie points with me.

Pete , it is down to one thing and one thing only - As you say financial . It cannot be anything else . My view , we just do not have the money . The Murphy money will have already gone on wages , overheads etc.

I do not have the answer and the realisation is , Adkins hasnt either. We can blame Clough , board, Adkins even , but we are were we are , and IMO , it aint a good place . If there is no movement next week , we can say goodbye to promotion.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom