Thank god we sacked Clough eh?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

nowtfancy

Reaction score
Does anyone really think we'd have gone backwards if we had kept last years manager?

Didn't think it was a good decision at the time, but it has got worse, and worse, and worse hasn't it.
Decision looks more ridiculous every game.
Cheers Jim, nice one.

Does anyone really think we'd have gone backwards if we had kept last years manager?

Didn't think it was a good decision at the time, but it has got worse, and worse, and worse hasn't it.
Decision looks more ridiculous every game.
Cheers Jim, nice one.

It has nothing to do with the manager, Clough or no Clough we would still be in the position we are, it's the boards transfer policy or lack of that is the problem not the manager.

It has nothing to do with the manager, Clough or no Clough we would still be in the position we are, it's the boards transfer policy or lack of that is the problem not the manager.
Nothing to do with the manager? Really? He might be doing nothing, but our perforformances, results, and position have plenty to do with the manager.

Yes the board have plenty to answer for, especially the decisions re who is the manager and how do we help him get us to where WE want to be.

It was the right decision to sack Clough.

Nobody could have forseen Adkins managing as he has.

It was the right decision to sack Clough.

Nobody could have forseen Adkins managing as he has.

Right decision if you're Yankee Jim wanting someone to blame for the next xx months

Nothing to do with the manager? Really? He might be doing nothing, but our perforformances, results, and position have plenty to do with the manager.

Yes the board have plenty to answer for, especially the decisions re who is the manager and how do we help him get us to where WE want to be.

Clough revoked on his stated objective Of maintaining a small (in number) squad and collected players like they were going out of fashion. The players left over from that spending spree are unfit for purpose, and should be put in Boots bargain basement. Buy one and get two free.
Like it or not we are stuck with them and no amount of angst will alter that.

We will have to suck it up and be patient AGAIN. That hurts. I should know, I've had to put up with this scenario for over seventy years .
UTB

Think many of the more seasoned posters on here would have rather kept Clough. If he'd had done as bad as Adkins in the first few months of this season he would then have been sacked. I actually think Adkins tactics are far more negative than Cloughs. Most would have seen the benefit of not sacking a manager because the Board fucked up.

Clough revoked on his stated objective Of maintaining a small (in number) squad and collected players like they were going out of fashion. The players left over from that spending spree are unfit for purpose, and should be put in Boots bargain basement. Buy one and get two free.

We will have to suck it up and be patient AGAIN. That hurts. I should know, I've had to put up with this scenario for over seventy years .
UTB

You see one of the things that bothers me is this 'Clough built/created a big squad' bollocks.
Beware the Jim spin.
And bollocks to patience too. How long ? Another 5? No thanks.

We would have no Murphy and we wouldn't have Billy Sharp. He'd be moaning about McNulty not running the channels and we'd probably sit 12th after a 'good point' at Blackpool.
I stuck up for him last year but looking back he got us in a mess. Not completely his fault, the board should've acted better but I don't miss him. I'd rather have Adkins any day despite the fact that he grates on some people here in his interviews.

This poisonous culture we have at this club began with Clough. He has cast a long shadow and one of the few times we got it right was in sacking him.
Adkins has had a horrific job to do in getting us back on track. Dealing with the baggage of a 40+ man squad, 98% of which are fucking garbage.
At any other club, Adkins would be a resounding success in this league.
It will take someone special to drag us out of the shite, someone who sees our worth when there's no evidence for it. If it isn't Adkins then I don't blame him one bit.

With Clough here we would be in the same situation except Billy Sharp would not be here and Jay Maceverly would be playing centre back.

Great.

Well yes, that goes along with the received wisdom too, that ken Dodd's dad's dead dog would have kept us up in the weir year, (never mind got to wembley in the FA cup) and we got in the play offs last year cause we signed a million expensive players.
Thank god Jim & the gang have put a halt to that regression eh?!

This poisonous culture we have at this club began with Clough. He has cast a long shadow and one of the few times we got it right was in sacking him.
Adkins has had a horrific job to do in getting us back on track. Dealing with the baggage of a 40+ man squad, 98% of which are fucking garbage.
At any other club, Adkins would be a resounding success in this league.
It will take someone special to drag us out of the shite, someone who sees our worth when there's no evidence for it. If it isn't Adkins then I don't blame him one bit.

The poisonousness for me began with getting rid of Warnock when we needed him the most.
Does back on track mean further back before moving forwards? If so how far?!

Well yes, that goes along with the received wisdom too, that ken Dodd's dad's dead dog would have kept us up in the weir year, (never mind got to wembley in the FA cup) and we got in the play offs last year cause we signed a million expensive players.
Thank god Jim & the gang have put a halt to that regression eh?!

Yes those cup runs that put Maguire and Murphy in the shop window have served us well, good job the money raised from them has been made available isn't it...?

......oh hang on!

Yes those cup runs that put Maguire and Murphy in the shop window have served us well, good job the money raised from them has been made available isn't it...?

......oh hang on!

The straw I'm grasping to now is that the player of the year has been sold for the past X years.
I've no idea who this years employee of the month is, probably our Billy, but losing any of our players will probably be the least upset I've been for a few years

You see one of the things that bothers me is this 'Clough built/created a big squad' bollocks

How is it "bollocks"? He was far from efficient in his transfer dealings, his transfers often seemed wildly out of proportion to what was required, adding strength where it wasn't needed, whilst neglecting areas that we were desperately lacking (reading that back; I forget, are we talking about Adkins or Clough here? :D).

We sacked Wilson on the cusp of the play offs, Clough in a similar position. I'm guessing that the money spent paying them & their staff off would have covered 4 well paid players and 4 average paid players. Are we worse off now than under either of them?! Apart from WHF I'd expect reasonable comments here.

Poor managers signing piss poor players season after seasons sees us in this postition.Players on ridiculous contracts, golden bloody handcuffs , great support, shit leadership means we will spend many more seasons in Div 3 or even 4.
I love this club but the future looks bleak!

The poisonousness for me began with getting rid of Warnock when we needed him the most.
Does back on track mean further back before moving forwards? If so how far?!

I would agree to a point, but Warnock dug his own hole. It's not popular to say this but he almost sabotaged the promotion season in 05/06 due to his oversized ego. The Premiership season was a ticking time bomb.

To answer the second point, This season is the going backward part, I've been saying this for some time. My position on Adkins can't possibly be decided until the summer when the bulk of the comings and goings are finalised. This team is a tangled mess and cannot be unravelled in a single season.

How is it "bollocks"? He was far from efficient in his transfer dealings, his transfers often seemed wildly out of proportion to what was required, adding strength where it wasn't needed, whilst neglecting areas that we were desperately lacking (reading that back; I forget, are we talking about Adkins or Clough here? :D).

Its bollocks because Clough didn't build a bigger squad
Its certainly arguable whether stronger or weaker, but he didn't make it bigger.
Look at the numbers not the tweets from america.

I would agree to a point, but Warnock dug his own hole. It's not popular to say this but he almost sabotaged the promotion season in 05/06 due to his oversized ego. The Premiership season was a ticking time bomb.

To answer the second point, This season is the going backward part, I've been saying this for some time. My position on Adkins can't possibly be decided until the summer when the bulk of the comings and goings are finalised. This team is a tangled mess and cannot be unravelled in a single season.

I know we are going too far back and I'm right at the end of my bottle now so typings slow and eyes are heavy!
But its unpopular to say Warnock almost fucked up getting us up because he didn't fuck up getting us up!

Big picture - progress or the opposite. If you look hard enough at any individuals at specific point you'll always find something to criticise.
We really need to be looking at trends over time. Which way do we want to go and who should be involved.

UTB
And i've just reached 50 - years that is of supporting them, BladesPlayer every Sat morning, flying home from Toronto (as an exiled Blade) for every (miserable) play off Wembley final (and Hull which is the only pleasurable experience of many a year) and even managed to "catch" the dire Crewe away game this year when I was over on a business trip. It's in ur blood (and will never leave - just ask my Canadian better half) but these are tough times....

Sacking Adkins isn't the answer but I wouldn't complain at the following right now:
1) Get Warnock in
2) Tell Evans to get fit for next season cos we're signing him
3) Grow some balls
4) Go total media blackout tell them all to go fuck themselves - who gives a load of flying monkey spunk what the manager says before/after a match anyway - we can see what's happened on the pitch.
5) Offload shite
6) Try and sign some decent players

You see one of the things that bothers me is this 'Clough built/created a big squad' bollocks.
Beware the Jim spin.
And bollocks to patience too. How long ? Another 5? No thanks.

What would your solution be then NF?
How many players did Clough sign? I think that it was more than the 19 he spoke of when he arrived

Sacking Clough was the right decision. He left us with a large number of demotivated and injured players. The football was negative and dire to watch. We created hardly any chances.

Adkins has underperformed so far but he's clearly struggling with what has been left. He's had to play a type of football he doesn't want to due to the paucity of the players. I'll judge him come winter when he's been able to in the most part sculpt his own team.

The problem isn't really the sacking of hiring of managers, it's the ethos behind the club. Look at Swansea, numerous managers for many reasons yet the next man in has the same principles as the man before.

There isn't a overhaul of new players. At the beginning of the prince era we brought in some good young players, however the manager was wet behind the ears. Then we brought in clough, who initially added to this, yet at the end of the season when we needed to kick in after finishing strongly we brought in the most bang average players with no heart in our history. Mostly with bad injury history.

We then bring in Adkins and although we gave him Sharp we didn't give him much after that. Due to this Murphy wanted to leave because of the lack of investment in the first team, with Gillingham being his last straw. Adkins then spent the rest of the transfer wjndow chasing Burn and Hammond. Hammond has been bang bad (although he was my mom yesterday until the subs wrecked everything again)

Consideing what has gone on before and with adkins, and we will have 15 players or more out of contract plus 3 loan players returning to their clubs that does free a lot of wages so do you give that to Adkins? What does he need to do before the end of the season to prove he should get the chance to put this right?

We sacked Wilson on the cusp of the play offs, Clough in a similar position. I'm guessing that the money spent paying them & their staff off would have covered 4 well paid players and 4 average paid players. Are we worse off now than under either of them?! Apart from WHF I'd expect reasonable comments here.

Wilson (a poor manager) got us into the play-offs and the final. Clough's 'similar position' was managing to concede a record seven goals in a play-off game.

Are we really arguing if we're better off under Adkins than Clough? At the moment, the facts suggest we're not. We're on course to finish even further away from the automatic places than last year, and the play-offs are a fading dream/nightmare. And - by the end of the season - I suspect that there will be no need for comparisons. It could get a lot worse. I think that, after a 'high' at Southampton (with a highly-talented bunch of young players and massive money available) NA's career has been on the slide, culminating with a spell out of work until the Bramall Lane Rest Home for Incapable Managers (Est. 2007) took him in.

The delay in getting the players out onto the field for the second half yesterday was pathetic - straight out of the Labybird Book of Coaching. Was he 'tearing a strip off them'? Was he infuriated that we hadn't had a single on-target shot all the first half? (He shouldn't be - it's happened in virtually every home game this season). Was he pondering the 'wisdom' of starting with Sammon?

Blaming the previous administration, implying that he'd 'like to do XYZ but ABC wouldn't let' him is pure David Cameron.

This is the lowest point in the club's history, with no signs of putting it right.

Back
Top Bottom