Team spirit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bruce Wayne

Reaction score
Last season we would have lost that game 3 or 4-1, I would have turned the radio off or if in attendance slumped back in my seat.

Today I knew the game was far from finished when we went 2-1 down with 10 men, the team spirit and belief is growing stronger and stronger with each match, good times await, i can feel it.

100% agree, sure it would have been nice to get a win, but the attitude of not giving up and getting a point is huge especially against the league leaders, also nice to not play our best and still get a result.

Every manager promises to bring us the drive we expect from our players. Starting to look like Wilder might actually do it.

upload_2016-9-24_21-21-23.jpeg

finally after many years of dross and managers with no ability since Dave bassett we could start to live the dream

Good OP and totally agree. When their 2nd went in I did what I usually do when we go behind in a game and swore violently under my breath, but the big difference today was that I felt we might pull it back even being a man down and with only 10 minutes left.

Good solid point that against a team that have dished out a few hammerings. Fancy us to dish out a hammering of our own next Saturday.

Didn't think we were very good today and decided to start trying to play a bit of positive forward play after going 2-1 behind when, of course, we had nothing to lose. That's frustrating but, understandably, the sending off had an impact. We looked more like we'd gone down to 8 men though.

All the players celebrating together was very encouraging. Need a win Tuesday and no less.

Last season we would have lost that game 3 or 4-1, I would have turned the radio off or if in attendance slumped back in my seat.

Today I knew the game was far from finished when we went 2-1 down with 10 men, the team spirit and belief is growing stronger and stronger with each match, good times await, i can feel it.
Getting our Blades back :)

I for one was happy with the result a draw before the match I would have took.
Always a hard place to go.

So Howard Kendall had no ability? Danny Wilson? Nigel Adkins? Nigel Clough? 'Ol Big Nose?

Dear me....
kendall when he crawled out of the bottle , wilson jurys out, adkins lost it just wanted to be everyone's friend, clough learnt fuck all from his dad and big nose great motivator but mostly up his own arse and everybody blames the tevez affair for our premier league demise but as history has shown us he was out of his depth in the premier league

kendall when he crawled out of the bottle , wilson jurys out, adkins lost it just wanted to be everyone's friend, clough learnt fuck all from his dad and big nose great motivator but mostly up his own arse and everybody blames the tevez affair for our premier league demise but as history has shown us he was out of his depth in the premier league

And nobody rates Bassett particularly highly except in Plough Lane and S2...it really is time to leave him in the past.

You're right about OBN at Premier League level but he has had success at all levels below. I didn't like his football or his antics but you can't say he had no ability. Similarly Adkins didn't achieve four promotions by being a numpty, though he did manage that with us...

And nobody rates Bassett particularly highly except in Plough Lane and S2...it really is time to leave him in the past.

You're right about OBN at Premier League level but he has had success at all levels below. I didn't like his football or his antics but you can't say he had no ability. Similarly Adkins didn't achieve four promotions by being a numpty, though he did manage that with us...
problem is some of were brought up with john Harris :rolleyes:

saturday was a big test for us too see how we could fare with a crucial player (wright) being injured making us shuffle the team round a bit and having to play with 10 men to see how we would cope especially against the team at the top of the league and we passed the test. now another test on tuesday to see if we can manage without basham in midfield to break up the opposition but given our performance on saturday i can see us picking up another 3 points on tuesday. also if we win or draw on tuesday it will be the first time for a while where we have gone through a months games unbeaten.

Bassett took Wimbledon from the old 4th Division to the old 1st Division, then after a brief spell at Watford, took Sheffield United from the old 3rd Division to the old 1st Division, at a time when we didn't have a pot to piss in........

Bassett took Wimbledon from the old 4th Division to the old 1st Division, then after a brief spell at Watford, took Sheffield United from the old 3rd Division to the old 1st Division, at a time when we didn't have a pot to piss in........

Well, overall, no he didn't. We were in the second when he joined...and when he left and dropping like a stone. He was the right man at the right time as I have often said, but that time has long gone and has left an embarrassing legacy of Neanderthal anti-football fans amongst the S2 intelligentsia. I'm not sure it was a price worth paying.

Anyway, about John Harris...

"When I arrived Reg Brearley told me there was no money. And he kept his word!"

Football has changed so much since Harris and since Bassett.

What Bassett did was unreal given it was all on a shoestring. Was it pretty? Maybe not for the footballing purists. Was it entertaining? Camping in the opposition box for half the match. You bet it was. What was not entertaining about seeing us beat Bristol Rovers 4-1 and Chester 6-1 to start the Division Three home campaign?

Nobody is suggesting this is where we go back to but transforming a penniless team heading to Div 3 and dragging them up to have 4 Seasons in the top flight deserves credit in our history.

It's churlish to suggest that he left us where he found us. The Board continued to fail to provide any finance and only by selling Deano did they take too much for even Bassett to overcome, in a time where you actually could turn down bids and player power/money were not so influencial.

So we took plan B of shock and awe Football to get success. So what? If we stuck to plan A we'd never have even made the Prem. We'd have been just another team with no money who had a decent side in the seventies and failed to invest.

I find your distaste to Bassett odd. He brought us so many terrific memories that our Board and finances didn't deserve.

Good OP and totally agree. When their 2nd went in I did what I usually do when we go behind in a game and swore violently under my breath, but the big difference today was that I felt we might pull it back even being a man down and with only 10 minutes left.

I have Onefootball alerts on my phone, I heard the noise go and thought "oh bollocks, we're 3-1 down". That's the pessimism I've developed through 20+ years of following the Blades. I'm just hoping we don't run out of gas before the season's over now.

Well, overall, no he didn't. We were in the second when he joined...and when he left and dropping like a stone. He was the right man at the right time as I have often said, but that time has long gone and has left an embarrassing legacy of Neanderthal anti-football fans amongst the S2 intelligentsia. I'm not sure it was a price worth paying.

Anyway, about John Harris...

There you are folks.

Back to back promotions, four seasons in the top division - four of the five we've managed in the last 40 years - and our first FA Cup Quarter final for 22 years and then semi final for 32 years. Not a price worth paying.

How pathetic that a seemingly intelligent person has to keep this boring persona going in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Mind you, after championing David Weir there was no going back, I suppose.

Last edited:
Even with tony currie in the team I dare any one to tell me a better team performance than bassets team 5-2away win at brian cloughs forest, didnt play football my arse. The 4-2win at southampton and how we ran Everton ragged at their place to seal staying up have no better peers in our history.not forgetting wiping the floor 3-1at hillsborough with the pigs in awe at our footballiing prowess in probably the best ever derby double

How pathetic that a seemingly intelligent person has to keep this boring persona going in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Mind you, after championing David Weir there was no going back, I suppose.

No supporter of David Weir deserves an opinion.

Even with tony currie in the team I dare any one to tell me a better team performance than bassets team 5-2away win at brian cloughs forest, didnt play football my arse. The 4-2win at southampton and how we ran Everton ragged at their place to seal staying up have no better peers in our history.not forgetting wiping the floor 3-1at hillsborough with the pigs in awe at our footballiing prowess in probably the best ever derby double

I dare but haven't the time or space to list them. I have the advantage of having lived through both Harris and Bassett. There's only one winner in terms of style, quality, entertainment and excitement. I suspect the vast majority will say the same thing. I well remember us being top of Division One and Brian Moore, on "World of Sport", doing the football previews long before wall to wall live coverage, advising the nation to "watch Sheffield United if you get the chance". The thought of anyone saying that under Bassett is risible. The advice would be "close your curtains..."

Every time I hear some numpty like Morgan say "Nowt Fancy" or the idiots at The Lane shout "Gerritupfield" I blame Bassett and wonder what John Harris would say.

Vinnie Jones. Wally Downes. Wally Fucking Downes...

I dare but haven't the time or space to list them. I have the advantage of having lived through both Harris and Bassett. There's only one winner in terms of style, quality, entertainment and excitement. I suspect the vast majority will say the same thing. I well remember us being top of Division One and Brian Moore, on "World of Sport", doing the football previews long before wall to wall live coverage, advising the nation to "watch Sheffield United if you get the chance."

"Because they aren't going to be top for long. Their form will collapse and they'll finish one place lower than Bassett's hoofers did in 1992"

"Because they aren't going to be top for long. Their form will collapse and they'll finish one place lower than Bassett's hoofers did in 1992"

This all rather proves my point about the legacy, doesn't it?...

image.jpeg

This all rather proves my point about the legacy, doesn't it?...

View attachment 20021

No, it proves you're a one trick pony and easy to wind up.

It must kill you that Bassett's team finished higher than Harris's (whilst winning a couple of rounds in the cup as well, something sadly beyond the early 1970's team).

I like both teams, because I've not created some silly internet persona for myself.

Whether it was the boards lack of ambition or John Harris happy to be in the top half of the 1st division as it was then !!
We had a potential great team there just needed strengthening in one or two areas,we let it pass us by which even now is a big disappointment to me
and many other long serving blades.
There has been 2 or 3 other occasions when we could have become big winners but alas again it passed us by.The last one being the Warnock era,but on that occasion in my opinion ( forgetin the tevez affair ) it wasn't lack of ambition just the club picking the wrong manager to succeed Warnock.I beleave Mccabe
and Co would have supported any manager who did the business got it totally wrong each time.We go again with Chris Wilder surely we have picked the right one this time, law of averages says we must get it right sooner or later ,in Chris Wilder we trust !!!

I dare but haven't the time or space to list them. I have the advantage of having lived through both Harris and Bassett. There's only one winner in terms of style, quality, entertainment and excitement. I suspect the vast majority will say the same thing. I well remember us being top of Division One and Brian Moore, on "World of Sport", doing the football previews long before wall to wall live coverage, advising the nation to "watch Sheffield United if you get the chance". The thought of anyone saying that under Bassett is risible. The advice would be "close your curtains..."

Every time I hear some numpty like Morgan say "Nowt Fancy" or the idiots at The Lane shout "Gerritupfield" I blame Bassett and wonder what John Harris would say.

Vinnie Jones. Wally Downes. Wally Fucking Downes...
I ssaw every game CUrrie played in and the Harris team from 64 .we lived in a simpler time before subs and it was 11v11 not 3 or 4 decent playrrs sgainst teams eith 16 superstars.5better on the bench thsn what bassett could afford. Harris would have struggled to match Bassetts level with such stacked odds
In the Harris era if the oposition had 3 or 3having an off day you could beat them.not much chance of that now

I ssaw every game CUrrie played in and the Harris team from 64 .we lived in a simpler time before subs and it was 11v11 not 3 or 4 decent playrrs sgainst teams eith 16 superstars.5better on the bench thsn what bassett could afford. Harris would have struggled to match Bassetts level with such stacked odds
In the Harris era if the oposition had 3 or 3having an off day you could beat them.not much chance of that now

Harris would have done what Bassett, Beck et al, couldn't. Adapt. That's why they all became extinct many many years ago. You are arguing up a very steep slope here, Hercules...

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom