Swindon Review and Goal Kicks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
I thought Swindon were a very very good side.

Byrne #3 was a fantastic little player. Was all over the pitch - right, left, centre.

Swift #14 on loan from Chelsea another good player, looked great in the centre.

Thompson #2 also had a good game.

Not sure what was happening with one of their Southampton lads at the end of each half but he went off the pitch arguing with the fans behind the dug out. #5. Not sure if that was Turnbull or Stephens.

They have a good mix. 2 or 3 ex Spurs youth players and 3 players on loan from the premier league.

I've never seen a team play goal kicks short as often as them. Certainly not in this division. It worked well as it dragged Murphy in. Even when they put it long Byrne would sprint to the halfway line to try and leave Murphy offside.

What let Swindon down for me was they played up to the referee, made the game niggly and forced us to change the style of our play. They are clearly a better team than that but they are now the 3rd good team to come to the lane in an attempt to niggle and break the game up frequently (Preston & MK).

Byrne and Swift were both very decent players, I agree. We were lucky when Byrne got free on the right in the first half (as he did several times) and set up a sitter for Swift which he shanked.

On the whole, though, Swindon will know they blew a great chance to take three points against a well below-strength Blades team, especially since they themselves had had two weeks off. We can well pleased that we can put a team out which is a good 50% reserves in make-up and still knock off one of the top three.

Oh I forgot...

The amount of numpty blades fans whining when the referee ordered a retake of the goal kick was embarrassing.. Murphy wasn't allowed in their box. It's infringement. So the ref actually DID know what he was doing (on that occasion).

Reminds me of when fans claim offside from goalkicks...really boils my piss!

Must admit I didn't know this - and I thought I knew everything.

Introduction

A goal kick is a method of restarting play.

A goal kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, either on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the attacking team, and a goal is not scored in accordance with Law 10.

A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team.

Procedure
  • The ball is kicked from any point within the goal area by a player of the defending team
  • ***Opponents remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play***
  • The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player
  • The ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...11/law-16---the-goal-kick#qkJxFcEwytdw40jz.99

The laws also say that the ball must be INSIDE the arc when taking a corner kick, not just breaking the plane of it.

When did you last see that applied?

Waste of time these laws ;-)

Oh I forgot...

The amount of numpty blades fans whining when the referee ordered a retake of the goal kick was embarrassing.. Murphy wasn't allowed in their box. It's infringement. So the ref actually DID know what he was doing (on that occasion).
The soppy old twat sat next to me (not Big Tony, the one on the other side) moaned about this. He must be in his late 60s or early 70s yet didn't have a clue. And half the time you can't understand what he's going on about, although his two late 20s granddaughters are rather nice looking, even if they do turn up late for every single kick-off. Still, women and football, eh? What would they know?*

*Blue touch paper lit. Now stand well back and wait for the fireworks to go off...

The laws also say that the ball must be INSIDE the arc when taking a corner kick, not just breaking the plane of it.

That's right but is the arc line treated as other lines, I.e. The ball must be fully over the line to be out of the arc?

Laws don't clarify it (Law 17 page 54)

I just had a quick look at the match video in particular our two free kicks just before half-time, one for handball and one for the foot up just after.

The defender's hand was clearly inside the area, though most of his body was probably outside the area, not sure what the rule says about that, but the ref then drew his little arc about two feet outside the are. Unless the defender was Twizzle, he couldn't have been that far in and out of the area at the same time.

For the foot up free-kick, he drew his little arc and then paced out a very ungenerous 10 yards and drew his line. One of their defenders who wasn't part of the wall was stood no more than six yards away and closed down the ball as soon as the ref blew his whistle and before Davies touched the ball. Despite that, Davies managed to hit the inside of the post.

The only way to stop that little bit of defender cheating is for the ref to draw a complete foam circle with a 10 yard radius. It wouldn't be practical for him to carry a pair of telescopic dividers round all game to get it right, so it probably needs to be a 10 yard piece of rope with a fixing spike at one end, with a detachable hammer and a loop at the other end with a spray dispenser attachment.

Didn't we lose a goal earlier this season as our defence mused philosophically on whether the ball being inside the arc is viewed from a two-dimensional on the grass perspective or three-dimensional plane-breaking perspective?

Or maybe they were musing on arcs and quadrants and other parts of circle*.

Whatever, the opposition crossed the ball and volleyed it into the net at the back post. An act from the pragmatist school.

*Sort of going off at a tangent :)

Byrne #3 was a fantastic little player. Was all over the pitch - right, left, centre.

Not sure what was happening with one of their Southampton lads at the end of each half but he went off the pitch arguing with the fans behind the dug out. #5. Not sure if that was Turnbull or Stephens.

They have a good mix. 2 or 3 ex Spurs youth players and 3 players on loan from the premier league.

I've never seen a team play goal kicks short as often as them. Certainly not in this division. It worked well as it dragged Murphy in. Even when they put it long Byrne would sprint to the halfway line to try and leave Murphy offside.

What let Swindon down for me was they played up to the referee, made the game niggly and forced us to change the style of our play. They are clearly a better team than that but they are now the 3rd good team to come to the lane in an attempt to niggle and break the game up frequently (Preston & MK).

Byrne and Louis Thompson (#19) were the ones that impressed me the most. Quick, mobile, good on the ball, always looking to create things.

Agree 110%. I thought Byrne and Swift were [are] in a different league. Not surprised about the tactics. We are at home and it kills any momentum we might muster.

I believe you mean the ball should be actually touching the white line?

I am led to believe differently - If you look down, immediately above the ball - if the maximum circumference "appears" to touch the line from above then that is deemed to be legal, so it doesn't really have to touch the line. (Hope I have explained it right). Not 100% convinced, but I am sure this has been raised before somewhere - think it might have been a Tranmere player at the lane last season or season before when he was taking corners from the spot in front of the Westfield corner.

UTB

One thing I will say in Swindon's favour: purple, white and black is a very chewy-looking combination which put me in mind of blackcurrant and liquorice. Nice.

Oh I forgot...

Disagree on that. There was no infringement by murphy, it was their choice to take the Kick, had murphy made an attempt to get the ball in the box it would've been a freekick to them. As it was the keeper kicked the ball to his player but his player wasn't looking.

The ref just seemed to confuse things during an awful refereeing display for both sides

Can't agree. A 'very, very good side' would have been out of sight by half time, given our pantomime-like performance in the first half. That incredible period just before half time that looked like Keystone Kops which ended with them clipping the top of the bar would have been hilarious if it wasn't so embarrassing.

However, I might be being too harsh on a couple of Third Division teams. Watched Celtic v Rangers this afternoon. Fuck those two are poor!

Disagree on that. There was no infringement by murphy, it was their choice to take the Kick, had murphy made an attempt to get the ball in the box it would've been a freekick to them. As it was the keeper kicked the ball to his player but his player wasn't looking.

The ref just seemed to confuse things during an awful refereeing display for both sides

OK. No "infringement" as such but under the rules of the game, he was right to blow up.

Can't agree. A 'very, very good side' would have been out of sight by half time, given our pantomime-like performance in the first half. That incredible period just before half time that looked like Keystone Kops which ended with them clipping the top of the bar would have been hilarious if it wasn't so embarrassing.

However, I might be being too harsh on a couple of Third Division teams. Watched Celtic v Rangers this afternoon. Fuck those two are poor!

OK. A very good team in this shitty little division. Can see why they're top.. Were top.

Nah, doesn't have to be inside it Maiders. Just has to be over it when looking from above. Think someone else has clarified this as well.

Yes,Byrne,Swift and the 2 Thompsons...the 19 Louis Thompson was absolute class all game.Leaving aside the antics that were going on..they at least came and gave it a right go...moved the ball quickly,full of running..no sitting back,they went for the jugular..I'd say they look better than MK and Bristol...I think a lesser team would have got hammered...10 changes,but we still looked like a team...went toe to toe with them and came out on top.

For all their decent players and occasional good play, their sly antics got them what they more than deserved, SFA.

I believe you mean the ball should be actually touching the white line?

I am led to believe differently - If you look down, immediately above the ball - if the maximum circumference "appears" to touch the line from above then that is deemed to be legal, so it doesn't really have to touch the line. (Hope I have explained it right). Not 100% convinced, but I am sure this has been raised before somewhere - think it might have been a Tranmere player at the lane last season or season before when he was taking corners from the spot in front of the Westfield corner.

UTB

The ball in the corner arc is not covered very well by FIFA rules.

No 8 of Assistants Referees tasks seems to cover it best stating that the ball must be inside the arc but......

.....no where does it state if the arc line is the same is all other lines on the pitch and normal practice of having half the ball outside the arc is legal or if the arc line is 'special' with its own rule?

Attachments

• Arc.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Ball in out.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Corner.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Goal Line.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom