Summer Saturdays

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
During the last few weeks i have worked a couple of Saturday's, spent one with Brownie jnr going to the Metrodome and going on a murder spree in Laser Quest, and another Saturday at Headingley watching the cricket, and I've got this Saturday off and taking Jnr to Scarborough for the day.

Finally realised a month in to the close season that I'm beginning to get withdrawal from the football. It is not like there isn't plenty of other stuff to do, like days out, theme parks, and lazy chilled out days and all sorts of different stuff I can do with a lively 7 year old, but the one thing we want to do together isn't there. The tram in to Town, talking about who might be in the team, a couple of quiet pints (lemonade in his case), meeting some good friends, going to the match, the big cheeseburger, talking about it afterwards and the next morning.

It feels a bit like it is an itch that needs to be scratched.

Is anyone else feeling the same, and that the summer on the face of it is great, but without football matches to go to, it is a bit rubbish, or am I alone with my withdrawal symptoms?

During the last few weeks i have worked a couple of Saturday's, spent one with Brownie jnr going to the Metrodome and going on a murder spree in Laser Quest, and another Saturday at Headingley watching the cricket, and I've got this Saturday off and taking Jnr to Scarborough for the day.

Finally realised a month in to the close season that I'm beginning to get withdrawal from the football. It is not like there isn't plenty of other stuff to do, like days out, theme parks, and lazy chilled out days and all sorts of different stuff I can do with a lively 7 year old, but the one thing we want to do together isn't there. The tram in to Town, talking about who might be in the team, a couple of quiet pints (lemonade in his case), meeting some good friends, going to the match, the big cheeseburger, talking about it afterwards and the next morning.

Is anyone else feeling the same, and that the summer on the face of it is great, but without football matches to go to, it is a bit rubbish, or am I alone with my withdrawal symptoms?

Your not alone.

I live 9000+ miles away and with the time difference, my football saturdays start at 7am with the United commentary whilst watching some premier league, and then the rest of the day catching up on the match reports and reactions on here, whilst scouring statto.com figuring out all the possible result permutations for the next few weeks!

Saturdays at the moment feel pretty boring (this past Saturday excluded!).

The Euro's will fill the void, very much looking forward to them, and the Pigs loss at the weekend really has got me looking forward to next season now, can't wait for August 6th as I'll be back in Sheffield for a week and can make it to the first game of the season where ever that might be!!

Your not alone.

I live 9000+ miles away and with the time difference, my football saturdays start at 7am with the United commentary whilst watching some premier league, and then the rest of the day catching up on the match reports and reactions on here, whilst scouring statto.com figuring out all the possible result permutations for the next few weeks!

Saturdays at the moment feel pretty boring (this past Saturday excluded!).

The Euro's will fill the void, very much looking forward to them, and the Pigs loss at the weekend really has got me looking forward to next season now, can't wait for August 6th as I'll be back in Sheffield for a week and can make it to the first game of the season where ever that might be!!
That's a puzzler BFK. Where are you if you're 9,000 miles but only eight time zones?

Though it pains me to say for the first time in my life I couldn't wait for the end of the season and having Saturday's free from watching United.

Then we sacked N#2 and hired CW (and he demolished on paper the worst bunch of players to pull on a Blades shirt) and my fuse was ignited. Now I can't wait for any snippet of info, rumours etc (although so far I'm I tad disappointed with Blade58's efforts in finding said rumours).

The events since the Scarborough game (first match in my life I've missed by choice apart from 23 March 1974, wedding day) have caused for me to reflect on the two Nigel's and they without doubt were to blame with their signings, lack of signings, poor tactics, strategies, relationships with the board, attitudes etc for us staying in this league for 3 seasons we shouldn't have.

I've re discovered my football Mojo and I am anticipating rather than dreading again!

COYRAWW

I'm still just really glad I don't have to watch those 'players' anymore.

I'm only itching to see who we sign, although no doubt that will end in disappointment.

Next season can wait for now, I'm looking forward to the Euros (and the Tour de France). Maybe it'll change a bit when the fixtures come out - I can't wait to see when we're playing Walsall away.

I'm still just really glad I don't have to watch those 'players' anymore.

I'm only itching to see who we sign, although no doubt that will end in disappointment.

Next season can wait for now, I'm looking forward to the Euros (and the Tour de France). Maybe it'll change a bit when the fixtures come out - I can't wait to see when we're playing Walsall away.

Not for me...im still struggling to get over the sheer incompetence and apathy shown by the latest set of lazy tw*ts to call themselves Blades players. I feel the need to have a break from Utd for a few weeks before i indulge again in all things red n white. Thankfully they got rid of Madkins so im now optimistic again. If they hadnt i reckon i would have quietly jumped off the Humber Bridge this summer with a big 'fack you Utd' sign hangin round mi neck.

Unfortunately you can never escape what ever it is that attaches you to a club, but the urge and the want for the match day experience has most definitely gone.

Every season it's promises and every season it's failure.

I couldn't wait for this debacle of a season to end. I was going to forget about all things football for a couple of months (including Euros). But with the CW appointment . . . . . Just can't wait till August.

Was just glad to see the back of the disastrous season season. Currently, I'm not missing the feeling of constanty being let down.

Too focused on one thing. It will rip the heart out of you. Then again it may already have?
If your young un feels the same, fair enough.if not just a littke extra looking for what he enjoys and that smile of thanks without the words will do the trick. If that free train travel is available? i'd be all over the place.

For the first time I can remember in over 30 years of watching United I am glad it's the close season.

If we make some exciting signings in the next few weeks I may start to get the buzz back, but that's a big IF

At the moment just looking forward to Euros.

You need to get through summer in bitesized chunks. Think of it like this:

7 Days time - New shirt revealed
10 Days - Euro 2016 starts
11 Days - England vs Russia
16 Days - England vs Wales
18 Days - Summer holiday (sorry that's just me)
20 Days - England vs Slovakia
22 Days - Fixtures released
25 Days - RD16
28 Days - Back from Hols
30 Days - Quarter Finals
31 Days - Transfer window opens
36 Days - Semi Finals
39 Days - Pre-Season Fixtures start
40 Days - Final
66 Days - 1st game of season

I don't miss it at all, in fairness at the end of the last 10 seasons I've been glad of the break and I've rarely been up for it again until early September.

I've had extremely busy summers doing other things that I enjoy over the last few years that football would be a distraction anyway. Even world cups and euros don't really interest me unless the coverage is in the evening when I can chill out.

I'll be in the alps for the first two England games but haven't checked the ko times yet, if the games aren't until the eve I probably won't see them.

Giro, Tour de France and vuelta plus ITU triathlon races are far more interesting during summer months that football only gets exciting once the new season is settled and underway.

When's the new kit out?

22 Days - Enland fly home
25 Days - RD16
28 Days - Back from Hols
30 Days - Quarter Finals
36 Days - Semi Finals
40 Days - Final

Fixed that for you

Unfortunately you can never escape what ever it is that attaches you to a club, but the urge and the want for the match day experience has most definitely gone.

Every season it's promises and every season it's failure.

Chin(s) up Barney

That's quite clearly false...it's like a 'wheel within a wheel...'

Not missing it in the slightest, happy with the Wilder appointment but even more happy to see most of the sad bunch of wasters booted out of the club. Not enough just yet for me to re-new my ST I will pick and choose my games and see how we do, still not convinced Wilder will get much backing to bring in the required quality by our pathetic board. It could well be another long hard season.

Yep, bored shitless already. We need some new signings to talk about, because there are only so many ways I can take piss out of the grunters.

Roll on next season.

UTB

3 teams progress. If we can't finish 3rd from that group we shouldn't even fly.

Only the four best third placed teams.

The first game against Russia is vital, if we lose that then it will be nervous nellies against Wales

Of course I'll miss utd. But im normally ok because ive got other sports like euro 2016. F1 (Canada, Baku, Austria, Britain, Hungary & Germany GP's) Wimbledon, Cricket, Le Mans 24, tour de France & obviously my summer holidays

Loads to look forward to on summer Saturdays:

The Derby (this Saturday)
Royal Ascot (June 18)
Northumberland Plate (June 25)
Eclipse Stakes (July 2)
July Cup (July 9)
The King George (July 23)
Glorious Goodwood (July 30)
Ebor Handicap (August 20)

Superb.

25 Days - RD16
28 Days - Back from Hols
30 Days - Quarter Finals
36 Days - Semi Finals
40 Days - Final
You forgot, July 15th, Scottish League Cup 1st Round begins, Dundee United v Arbroath

One (of many benefits) of having Jnr, who plays football, is summer tournaments. It's not the same, it's different, but a day out watching junior football, crap cheeseburgers and the occasional warm can of beer, sort of kills time before August..

read this when I got back from 4 hours on the local beach watching scantily clad girls while drinking beer, on a day where its barely touched 36 c .
to be fair I am looking forward to the Euros and a change of emphasis watching England and a different way of being disappointed

2016-03-04 09.46.19 (3).jpg
just got to walk the dog

I've wished away my summers away too many times only to be let down by that bunch of knobheads. I don't really give a chuff about the Euros, so I now like to have footy free summers. Thus leaving me chomping at the bit for the start of the season.

Back
Top Bottom