Striker with best heading ability?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lmaobob

Wind Up Merchant
Reaction score
Was only about 9 or 10 years old when we were in the prem, the only things I could remember about that season was our 1-1 draw with Liverpool and John Arne Riise getting stretchered off in front of me, Colin Kazim Richards' goal against Bolton & David Unsworth's penalty against us :(

Been watching this video;

I remember I had rob hulse on the back of my shirt and looking at this video, he looks like he was an absolute monster when it came to heading the ball. Has he been the striker with the best heading ability we've seen??

Last edited:

No. Not even in the top 10.
Deane.
Dearden.
Addison.
Tudor.
Jones.
Fjortoft
Menlove.
Dunne
Johnson.
Beattie.

Kinnel... just watched the 1st 3 minutes of that & feel like topping myself.

If only Webbers chip had landed an inch to the right we'd have stayed up that season. The amount of bad luck we seemed to have was unreal. Didn't we have 2 disallowed at West Ham... both of which were perfectly legitimate goals?

I remember I had rob hulse on the back of my shirt and looking at this video, he looks like he was an absolute monster when it came to heading the ball. Has he been the striker with the best heading ability we've seen??

Best for me was Gareth Taylor- had a very good leap which was useful for aerial challenges and was a accurate header, Brian Deane was second

mar-1998-gareth-taylor-of-sheffield-united-gets-the-ball-under-the-picture-id1632087

United strikers with the best heading ability since I've been watching 'um (circa 1975) - Deane (far and away the most effective), Whitehurst, Shipperley, Hulse, Henderson, Chief, Taylor, Hatton and I'll be surprised if I'm not adding Clarke to the list by the season's end.

Kinnel... just watched the 1st 3 minutes of that & feel like topping myself.

If only Webbers chip had landed an inch to the right we'd have stayed up that season. The amount of bad luck we seemed to have was unreal. Didn't we have 2 disallowed at West Ham... both of which were perfectly legitimate goals?

Settle down, we all know that allowing legitimate goals against west ham wouldn't be fair to their fans.

Best for me was Gareth Taylor- had a very good leap which was useful for aerial challenges and was a accurate header, Brian Deane was second

mar-1998-gareth-taylor-of-sheffield-united-gets-the-ball-under-the-picture-id1632087

Why can't the club understand that we wear black shorts and socks? I like this season's shirt but black shorts and socks are the one aren't they?

He was much maligned, but Peter Withe scored a number of good headed goals for us.

A big un who's good at heading will always stand out more than a little un. Sharp is a good header of the ball but it's not noticeable because he's small.

I'm surprised Marcelo hasn't had a mention. Thought he was a very good header of a ball. Same for D'Jaffo. In his book, Warnock, in typical Warnock fashion describes both Laurent D'Jaffo and Andy Booth as "the best header of a ball I've ever worked with".

Paul Peschisolido. All 3 foot of him.

Alan Young for the brief time he was here was good in the air ,and no one has been better than the Chief at flick ons.

Wayne Allison was very good at flicking the ball on namely because he was practically impossible to shift out the way - even for 6"5 centre halfs. The bloke could stand his ground and back into defenders like no one else I've seen.

Deano and/or Gareth Taylor are the best two I've seen at attacking a header.

Jostien flo, the worst 6'+ centre forward when it comes to heading a ball, only player I know that got nearer the ground when attempting to head a ball.

Jostien flo, the worst 6'+ centre forward when it comes to heading a ball, only player I know that got nearer the ground when attempting to head a ball.

I'd say Carl Asaba wins that award. Others over 6 foot who were crap in the air

Marcus Bent
Billy Paynter (he was just crap at everything)
Michael O Halloran
John Cofie

David Kitson probably deserves a mention amongst the better headers as well.

Back
Top Bottom