Strengthening needed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeteBlade

Reaction score
Be it on a permanent basis or via the loan window, we clearly still need to strengthen.

Judging by the various rumours of centre backs we have apparently put in bids for, NA thinks so too.

It's no use saying we've strung a few wins together so everything will be ok.

I'm not disappointed because we haven't signed someone at the last minute on Jim White day. I'm disappointed that we haven't sorted out clear defensive deficiencies several weeks ago.

I'm sure Nigel has a plan. He's a top manager that knows what it takes to get out of this division.

I do hope though that we haven't missed out due to not offering the right amount of money.

I look forward to the loan window opening with nervous trepidation.

Our ability to finish in the top 2 come the end of the season surely depends on it.

I agree and have no doubt that we'll bring in a centre half and a midfielder on loan, the latter being of the most importance.

Will be interesting who.

Last edited:
It's clear that Adkins thinks we need a few more signings and I just pray the board are on the same page. Today was very disappointing and it's natural to be so cynical about the intentions of the powers that be at the club

I'm glad it's not just me Roy, you'd think you were going mad judging by the response you get by expressing disappointment at not addressing glaring errors.

Patronising guff about winning a fee games in a row. The problem is, the same people spouted the same guff last year.

Everything was going to be sorted in the JTW. Except it wasn't.

It is possible to be disappointed without being hysterical.

Just a few snippets from our Twitter guru:

- we tried to strengthen but then we realised it was great window

- I'm proud of Jamie Murphy for wanting to leave

- One silver lining is that the cup was a distraction, glad we're still in the cup

- we need to strengthen but we don't need to strengthen

- One silver lining is that the cup was a distraction, glad we're still in the cup

Listen to Adkins interview, he backs Phipps on the 1st point.

I'm glad it's not just me Roy, you'd think you were going mad judging by the response you get by expressing disappointment at not addressing glaring errors.

Patronising guff about winning a fee games in a row. The problem is, the same people spouted the same guff last year.

Everything was going to be sorted in the JTW. Except it wasn't.

It is possible to be disappointed without being hysterical.

Do tell us how we force other clubs to sell us the players we want. Pay them every penny they ask, however extortionate? Descend on them at dawn with armed mercenaries?

Who said that "everything was going to be sorted in the JTW"? A challenging commitment indeed. I think I'd have remembered if someone had said all our problems would end in January 2015.

You don't help yourself, do you?

Deary me.

We've no idea what we bid or what they wanted but we're talking about extortionate fees and mercenaries?

I'm surprised the agents haven't been blamed yet.

Be it on a permanent basis or via the loan window, we clearly still need to strengthen.

Judging by the various rumours of centre backs we have apparently put in bids for, NA thinks so too.

I'm not disappointed because we haven't signed someone at the last minute on Jim White day. I'm disappointed that we haven't sorted out clear defensive deficiencies several weeks ago.

I'm sure Nigel has a plan. He's a top manager that knows what it takes to get out of this division.

I do hope though that we haven't missed out due to not offering the right amount of money.

Our ability to finish in the top 2 come the end of the season surely depends on it.

We all knew [apart from any fucker at the club apparently] that we needed centre halves BEFORE Adkins was even interviewed.

To end the window with only one new one is a fuck up, then again we are SUFC, what else should I have expected.

Two CH's short of a full squad.
Lets hope Wallace and Coutts can come good fitness wise.

Strung a few wins together....

Haven't sorted defensive deficiencies...

Pete have you been to any games since Gillingham? We've played 4 in the league and conceded just 1 winning them all pretty comfortably. We haven't just 'strung' 4 wins together we have bossed games and have sorted the defensive deficiencies.

All things he never actually said but you have made up?

Agree with some of the sentiments here.

Yes we need a CB
Yes we need a midfielder
We can't drop Basham in to CB if we get an injury/suspension without weakening midfield.

However it's hard to point the finger at the board as they have invested with real quality players. It's just hard that we seem to invest in the less important areas (but that's the managers choice)

I'm inclined to believe we did do all we could after listening to Adkins interview and the fact he missed the start of the game last night.

I also get the impression the deals are not dead and we could see loans come in. Which although not ideal is better than nothing.

Let's just get behind the lads now. No use putting energy in to matters we can't change.

It seems to be a bit of a running theme on here to pretend someone has said something they haven't.

Who has said our wins haven't counted? No one on this thread.

It's also scary that people think because of those wins (brilliant, amazing, excellent wins that they were, before any loses their shit) we don't need defensive reinforcements.

Of course we do. If we want to achieve top 2.

And Nigel clearly thinks so too.

I keep hearing about how the loan window is to be our saviour. I keep hearing that every year. Even if it is and we bring in quality loan players to strengthen the core of the team to get us up, what happens then? Half of the team that got us up return to their parent club and we're in the championship without a paddle. Why oh why can we not just get deals done on time?

It seems to be a bit of a running theme on here to pretend someone has said something they haven't.

It's also scary that people think because of those wins (brilliant, amazing, excellent wins that they were, before any loses their shit) we don't need defensive reinforcements.

From what Adkins and Phipps have said, both deals we wanted to do yesterday were contingent on other deals at the sellers' end happening. We expected these to go through, they didn't, but there might still be a chance.

If you take what they've said at face value, who are you blaming? Adkins for not going after players that were available immediately rather than available when others had been signed? The board for not making these clubs offers that they just couldn't refuse? I'd say the fact that the selling club weren't willing to let them go unless their replacements had been secured is an indication we were going after some quality rather than a 5th choice squad player. Presumably these deals still might happen because the clubs still might get replacements in on loan. Let's wait and see eh?

Why can't disappointment be expressed without the need to assign blame to someone?

Not only does Nigel think so , he's identified exactly who he wants. Dean Hammond and Dan Burn. Two players of high calibre at this level. Their clubs are not willing to let them go - yet.

What should we have done? What should we do now?

Not only does Nigel think so , he's identified exactly who he wants. Dean Hammond and Dan Burn. Two players of high calibre at this level. Their clubs are not willing to let them go - yet.

A gun, a bag and a copy of scooby snacks playing for good measure.

Have backups?

Is what I'm saying really that outlandish a thought process for you?

Back
Top Bottom