steve cotterill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

totally agree .Cotterill is a good motivator , players like his style , NC is a complete opposite , never known a manager that has pissed off so many players , I know we in play offs but somebody else would have got us up , plenty of good managers out there

thing us if we win play off Clough could post it word for word
hindsight eh great thing

once youve done it you look untouchable
if we go up too lets see who does better next season

weve suffered heavily from frustration more than anything
at times we look really good
then the frustrating thing is we then look mediocre, but win the play offs we will all remember it completely differently

totally agree .Cotterill is a good motivator , players like his style , NC is a complete opposite , never known a manager that has pissed off so many players , I know we in play offs but somebody else would have got us up , plenty of good managers out there

You're clearly someone who knows little about managerial upsets and spats. Alex Ferguson was well known for either arguing with, or dismissing players he felt wouldn't bend to his will. By comparison Clough is a novice. Do keep up.

And do polish up your wording..."I know we in play offs.....". What's with this truncated version of communication? You're not Tonto by any chance?

Timing has played its part in Cotterill's success down here. Last summer we finally managed to clear out the rest of the highly paid players that got us relegated from the Champs two years ago.

We also now have a Director of Football type doing much of the recruitment.

And the minted owner has got in more people behind the scenes with experience at other clubs behind the scenes to run things properly, instead of his son! Who didn't know what he was doing, apparently.

Generally, the whole operation has been rebooted and professionalised, instead of a bunch of well-meaning but generally dopey west country types pulling the strings.

So Cotterill's come at the right time, for sure. But he has certainly made the most of his chance so far. He is also a friend of the chairman, who wanted him here, so the relationship between manager and board is excellent.

And with the owner's backing, we were able to bring in a number of pretty good players for this level.

Cotterill has also had plenty of experience - good and bad; success and mistakes; promotions and struggles - and clearly spent time out of work absorbing the lessons of that experience, good and bad, which he has used in his time here. One example might be his insistence on a small squad, opting for quality over quantity, and because a smaller squad makes for a tight-knit group. His "man management" has been pretty bloodybrilliant.

Yes, he's a bit of a twonk at times, particularly after defeats. He is not popular around the country. He does come across as a right old ..... and if he wasn't ours, we would hate him. None of us wanted him here in the first place!

But he can manage a football team, given favourable conditions.

Mind, we all expect it to go tits up in the Championship before too long (it always does)

Why doesn't anyone like Swindon? First Swinedon. Now this. :confused:

Hope we don't have cause to dislike them by Tuesday morning.

Well, for one, you remember the way they carried on when you beat them at BL? All sorts of antics, according to you lot on this forum. So it must be true! And they were much the same when they beat our 10 men in November. It was all going off in the tunnel, with their owner, Lee Power, running down from the director's suite to join in. Apparently. This, after they celebrated in front of our travelling lot, jigging about like they were the dog's biscuits. (They won the league in November; we won it in April).

They have been behaving rather precociously all season, according to some (us). They have some very talented players, some from Prem ranks, who possibly believe themselves to be a cut above little old L1. Or so it looks, the way they conduct themselves.

Historically, of course, Swindon were caught cheating, and fiddling, and fixing, and betting, and carrying on, up to all sorts. And were rightly demoted from the top flight.

was first time bristol scored that many since beating aldershot 9-0 in 1946 their record score in their history

was first time bristol scored that many since beating aldershot 9-0 in 1946 their record score in their history

And a hat trick from our centre back, making 15 goals this season. He's the one that scored your winner at AG last season. He's playing the game (facing) the right way now

You're clearly someone who knows little about managerial upsets and spats. Alex Ferguson was well known for either arguing with, or dismissing players he felt wouldn't bend to his will. By comparison Clough is a novice. Do keep up.

And do polish up your wording..."I know we in play offs.....". What's with this truncated version of communication? You're not Tonto by any chance?
Not interested in Ferguson, I'm a SUFC fan not Man Utd , but I do know Steve Cotterill and one of BCFC players, so in a better situation to comment than you , I'm just ignoring your other comment !!! not worth wasting my time with somebody like you

After all these years Steve Cotterill finally hasn't actually stolen his wage. He won't see it through next season.

Cotterill has been poor wherever he has been. He had good financial backing this season and a good base squad to build on. Bristol City have been awesome you can't take that away but Cotterill? He isn't a fantastic manager.

After all these years Steve Cotterill finally hasn't actually stolen his wage. He won't see it through next season.

Cotterill has been poor wherever he has been. He had good financial backing this season and a good base squad to build on. Bristol City have been awesome you can't take that away but Cotterill? He isn't a fantastic manager.

He's not, but he's won 3 football league promotions now, which is 3 more than Clough has won.

We also now have a Director of Football type doing much of the recruitment.

And the minted owner has got in more people behind the scenes with experience at other clubs behind the scenes to run things properly, instead of his son! Who didn't know what he was doing, apparently.

A bit like our manager's brother?

Historically, of course, Swindon were caught cheating, and fiddling, and fixing, and betting, and carrying on, up to all sorts. And were rightly demoted from the top flight.

Unlucky for them they weren't called 'West Ham'.

A bit like our manager's brother?

Unlucky for them they weren't called 'West Ham'.

I was going to mention that, about West Ham being treated rather differently than Swindon. But it was Swindon, and pathetic, petty localish rivalry (of sorts. This season mostly) got the better of me. Another shameful episode that

He has been "fantastic" this season, if not always so in other seasons. Not many are fantastic, year after year. Some managers seem to suit certain clubs and will arrive at a club at the right time, a good time, or the wrong time. Moyes following Sir Alex? Wrong time, for a good manager. Or wrong club!

Cotterill arrived here when we could hardly have sunk any lower. Then last summer four highly paid players from our Champ relegation team, their contracts ran out and were finally released, freeing up a lot of wages. And getting rid of the loser, sitting in the stand and picking up me money for nowt, piss poor mentality out of the club.

Cotterill was able to make a fresh start and he's made a good job of it. So, good timing. And this is one of a few clubs out of the 92 where the way he speaks doesn't make people automatically cringe and think he is a thick bumpkin who doesn't know what he's doing. Having said that, his Gloucestershire accent makes my skin crawl, I'm a Somerset lad see...

The last thing I would say is do not underestimate his achievement of winning a league at this club. The last time we managed this was 60 years ago. This is the south of England. The south WEST of England. The mentality here is very negative, pessimistic, fearful, fearing the worst, a bit "backward" (in football terms, certainly) and small fry. And not all that bothered by local football, really. We have had managers before with favourable budgets and other advantages and they have made a mess of it, at worst, or come second, at best. Having money and advantages over your rivals brings with it pressure and expectation (from those that are bothered). Many would-be managers fail to cope with this. Most here do. We have a history of making a proper mess of things.

Cotterill has been the heartbeat of an outstanding season. We were still going for it in added time on Sunday, at 7:2 up, and scored an eigth. That is down to Cotterill. He might fail miserably next season, we'll have to wait and see, but from last summer to this, he has done a "fantastic" job

As I said a couple of months ago if we had appointed Cotterill instead of Clough after Weir this forum would have self combusted

Back
Top Bottom