Stage Three - 6 months early.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
We have entered Stage 3 of the Clough Rebuild of SUFC under the new ownership.

Stage 1: Was the stabilisation of the club in League 1. It also included the remarkable F.A. Cup run and the semi at Wembley. Relatively expensive loan signings helped the situation.

Stage 2: Was the promotion push this season and it has not worked out as well as hoped. At the end of last season Clough presented his plan and budget to the board and they gave him the go-ahead. At the time the squad had dropped to something like 11 contracted players and the introduction of so many new players has proved difficult. We have reached January in a disappointing position in the league. Loan signings have largely been avoided and perhaps as a matter of policy which might be wrong on reflection. In parallel we have achieved the impossible again by reaching the semi-final of the other big cup and are still in the F.A. Cup after 4 rounds. As a result there is less need to blame anybody for the modest league performances.

Stage 3: As good as the cup achievements are, our manager and board are not up to plan in the main objective of reaching the Championship this year. As a result the manager has presented a revised plan and budget and they have brought forward expenditure intended for boosting the squad for the Championship. The board have presumably been happy to agree because the manager and team have brought all that extra income in from the cups. The new signings will be more expensive than past ones and will have the capabilty to challenge for promotion to the Premier League in due course. Surely a new striker will join us soon.

Stage 4: It will be a major disappointment if we do not get promoted but it will not be the end of the world. Possibly another trip to Wembley will help boost income again and soften the disappointment. By the end of next summer the squad will be all Clough's own work and no doubt there will be numerous departing players before the start of next season. Current squad members are playing for a part in this next exciting stage and whatever develops beyond it. If we manage to gain promotion it will be interesting to see what funding the prince makes available to his manager. If we miss out then surely we will go up next season. If not then Clough will have failed and we will start again at Stage 1 with a new management team.

Rebuilds take time so let's hope we are looking at Stage 5 in summer 2016.

Last edited:

Stage 1: Was the stabilisation of the club in League 1. It also included the remarkable F.A. Cup run and the semi at Wembley. Relatively expensive loan signings helped the situation.

Stage 2: Was the promotion push this season and it has not worked out as well as hoped. At the end of last season Clough presented his plan and budget to the board and they gave him the go-ahead. At the time the squad had dropped to something like 11 contracted players and the introduction of so many new players has proved difficult. We have reached January in a disappointing position in the league. Loan signings have largely been avoided and perhaps as a matter of policy which might be wrong on reflection. In parallel we have achieved the impossible again by reaching the semi-final of the other big cup and are still in the F.A. Cup after 4 rounds. As a result there is less need to blame anybody for the modest league performances.

Stage 3: As good as the cup achievements are, our manager and board are not up to plan in the main objective of reaching the Championship this year. As a result the manager has presented a revised plan and budget and they have brought forward expenditure intended for boosting the squad for the Championship. The board have presumably been happy to agree because the manager and team have brought all that extra income in from the cups. The new signings will be more expensive than past ones and will have the capabilty to challenge for promotion to the Premier League in due course. Surely a new striker will join us soon.

Stage 4: It will be a major disappointment if we do not get promoted but it will not be the end of the world. Possibly another trip to Wembley will help boost income again and soften the disappointment. By the end of next summer the squad will be all Clough's own work and no doubt there will be numerous departing players before the start of next season. Current squad members are playing for a part in this next exciting stage and whatever develops beyond it. If we manage to gain promotion it will be interesting to see what funding the prince makes available to his manager. If we miss out then surely we will go up next season. If not then Clough will have failed and we will start again at Stage 1 with a new management team.

Sit down before you read this WWF. In 24 hours the Prince, Jim and even KMac have shown the intent we all hoped and wanted. I am happy to consign history to the past now because I believe in buying Brayford at the cost of over £1m the game has been changed. No one at our level invests that amount in a player. Transfer policy seems to have been turned on its head and Clough cannot justifiably say he isn't being supported.

One other thing the board have done in my opinion is move the focus to where it should be, the team and manager. Now the players are being brought in, no one can really say that Clough isn't getting the support. He has no reason not to succeed. Down to you Nigel and the players. If it isn't this season then it has to be next season. No excuses.

The risk i between stages 2-3 if your perceived plan is correct is the influx of a core of highly paid players into a squad of players that have only had austerity. Imagine if your company decided to expand and brought in new core workers on much higher money, it can break team spirit. If the scenario is accurate let's hope NC has the skills to manage the transission.

[QUOTE=" Possibly another trip to Wembley will help boost income again and soften the disappointment. .[/QUOTE]

...aren't our trips to Wembley normally the cause of disappointment rather than softening it? (excepting last season's semi I'll grant you)

[QUOTE=" Possibly another trip to Wembley will help boost income again and soften the disappointment. .

...aren't our trips to Wembley normally the cause of disappointment rather than softening it? (excepting last season's semi I'll grant you)[/QUOTE]

You're confused, (not only with the QUOTE's) that was the old United

• Banned
Sit down before you read this WWF. In 24 hours the Prince, Jim and even KMac have shown the intent we all hoped and wanted. I am happy to consign history to the past now because I believe in buying Brayford at the cost of over £1m the game has been changed. No one at our level invests that amount in a player. Transfer policy seems to have been turned on its head and Clough cannot justifiably say he isn't being supported.

One other thing the board have done in my opinion is move the focus to where it should be, the team and manager. Now the players are being brought in, no one can really say that Clough isn't getting the support. He has no reason not to succeed. Down to you Nigel and the players. If it isn't this season then it has to be next season. No excuses.

I think/ hope the Brayford signing could just be the start, surely there is a talisman striker yet to join us and O'Grady would be here already without the changes at Brighton.

Your words " moved the focus to where it should be, the team and the manager" bring gladness to my heart. When Clough joined us I reckon he had seen the potential under the prince and I think he saw a massive opportunity to build something special and that is why he jumped at the chance so soon after the hammer blow of getting the sack at Derby. He managed to get all his mates in all the key positions as part of the deal. This is why we were able to attract someone of his calibre that time when we struggled on the previous occasions.

In the fullness of time I feel sure you will see the prince buy out KM and that will seal the transition for you.

My personal worry is the scouting and player signing area. To me it is the weak link in the chain and could stop or slow our momentum. I think it has been the weakness last summer and this season and seems to have been at Derby too according to many, if not all their fans on their forum. When we reach the Championship it will be all the more critical.

By the way I don't think Clough has ever said he was not being supported. I think he has told the board what he needs and he has got it. Phipps told us about the plans for January on the night of the Southampton match but some on here called him a liar. That is when we lose our credibility and betray our loyalties as fans.

• Banned
[QUOTE=" Possibly another trip to Wembley will help boost income again and soften the disappointment. .

...aren't our trips to Wembley normally the cause of disappointment rather than softening it? (excepting last season's semi I'll grant you)[/QUOTE]

That was under the old regime as it happens Blade56, the only trip to Wembley under Clough and the prince was uplifting actually, despite the defeat.

...more likely that, after an extended courtesy period, McCabe's been slapped down a bit because of the Ched debacle and the Prince is kicking on re: transfer's and the like..bit of a power shift maybe?... just a thought..

The risk i between stages 2-3 if your perceived plan is correct is the influx of a core of highly paid players into a squad of players that have only had austerity. Imagine if your company decided to expand and brought in new core workers on much higher money, it can break team spirit. If the scenario is accurate let's hope NC has the skills to manage the transission.

All part and parcel of football and, indeed, life. Unless stagnation is the aim, it is vital to constantly evolve and improve.

I have worked within organisations where the efforts of my and my co-workers was cast aside and higher-quality personnel brought in. Hurts at the time, but all makes sense when looking back.

The problem is step 3.5 where we don't win promotion, season ticket revenue halves in the summer and we have to sell Murphy and Reed to ballance the books from the spending this January.

I think it's more likely the club is throwing the dice to to form a side capable of winning the play offs this season. If we don't go up then rather than moving on to step 4 next seaon it's back to step 2 or maybe 1.

The problem is step 3.5 where we don't win promotion, season ticket revenue halves in the summer and we have to sell Murphy and Reed to ballance the books from the spending this January.

I think it's more likely the club is throwing the dice to to form a side capable of winning the play offs this season. If we don't go up then rather than moving on to step 4 next seaon it's back to step 2 or maybe 1.

Harry , agree with you . but thankfully the blades are going for a high risk strategy , which will come off . Mr Clough carries out due diligence on everything he does , and the signings are all part of a jig saw for this season and next . Even if promotion is not achieved this season , there will no detrimental affect next , with having to sell players , unless they are adamant , they don't want to play for SUFC . If that is the case like HM , then good riddance.

UTB

I am loving all the optimism and I do agree that we have shown a good degree of ambition over the last few days however being a Blade all my life and knowing my club it is hard not to remain a little Sceptical about things whether my concerns are unfounded or not.

After listening to Jim and Mr Baki the only real question I have in my head is would these signings have happened had we not boosted the banks with the cash from the Harry sale and last years cup run? I guess we will never know now and should just be grateful that it has happened regardless.

We have made some decent signings with Brayford being the "pin up" of the three however as it has been said before me other than Sparky McNulty we have been lacking in the final third of the pitch. Once again this is where I get my Sceptical head on again because as much as I want Brayford at the club I really hope that this hasn't come at the cost of a striker. I don't know what wages he is on however with the FFP rules and stuff I really hope the club have left enough in the pot to bring a much needed striker in.

Don't get me wrong I am as optimistic as the next Blade and I agree 100% that the signing of Brayford is the most ambition we have shown in years however I with those little questions sitting in the back of my mind I will be well and truely convinced when that striker comes in. Definitely a huge leap in the right direction though.

I'm not a religious person so I will amend an old saying - Men Plan, Fate Laughs

Having said that I think it is highly beneficial to make as many of the investments under the League FFP regime than the one in the Championship. The risk, of course, is we fail to get to the Championship but what would it say of the mentality of the planner if we always planned around failure. I agree with WWF - the weak link in the regime is the range of the scouting apparatus but in general the purchase of Brayford, correctly in my view, is a cue for renewed optimism for the future. And it is now about the Management and the players.

UTB - Wednesday night the Lane should be really rocking - can't wait.
:johnbrayford:

Not convinced our scouting network is bad actually. We seem to be able to locate players and now we seem to be signing them. The biggest issue appeared to be putting the cash on the table to get clubs to sell them.

Not convinced our scouting network is bad actually. We seem to be able to locate players and now we seem to be signing them. The biggest issue appeared to be putting the cash on the table to get clubs to sell them.

Mr Clough brother seems to be back in favour with us all . He can spot and table players , it is then up to the contract , financial negotiation men to do the business.

Life is all about fate and fine lines . All is good at BDTBL , but could have easily gone the other way in the JTW.

The good thing for SUFC , is that Mr Clough and Mr Clough brother are fully committed to the cause. What more can we ask for.

UTB

Mr Clough brother seems to be back in favour with us all . He can spot and table players , it is then up to the contract , financial negotiation men to do the business.

Life is all about fate and fine lines . All is good at BDTBL , but could have easily gone the other way in the JTW.

The good thing for SUFC , is that Mr Clough and Mr Clough brother are fully committed to the cause. What more can we ask for.

UTB

A striker is probably the answer to the question.

I'm not a religious person so I will amend an old saying - Men Plan, Fate Laughs

Having said that I think it is highly beneficial to make as many of the investments under the League FFP regime than the one in the Championship. The risk, of course, is we fail to get to the Championship but what would it say of the mentality of the planner if we always planned around failure. I agree with WWF - the weak link in the regime is the range of the scouting apparatus but in general the purchase of Brayford, correctly in my view, is a cue for renewed optimism for the future. And it is now about the Management and the players.

UTB - Wednesday night the Lane should be really rocking - can't wait.
:johnbrayford:
Small point but we next play the night after Tuesday night.

Back
Top Bottom