Squad Situation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
I know it might have been covered in bits and bobs over the forum, but I thought I'd summarise the squad situation properly, once and for all for now and the summer.

Current squad:

Brayford......DCL..................Woolford........McEveley
Basham......Adams...............Howard.........JCR
Coutts........K.Wallace...........Reed.............Long
Sharp.........Harris.................Flynn.............Kennedy
Done..........Collins................DDG.............McGahey
Scougall.....McFadzean........Baxter...........Cuvelier
Whiteman..Sammon.............Edgar............Hammond
Freeman....McNulty..............Wallace

- On loan
- Out on loan

Note: That's 31, some have said it's as big as 40 something - batch of youngsters set on?

Summer outgoings

Returning loanees: (efforts should be made to keep them out)

Freeman
McNulty
Wallace

Departing loanees: (should all be sent back)

Sammon
Edgar
Hammond

Out of contract: (should all be released)

Harris...........Howard.........Flynn...............McEveley
Baxter..........Collins..........McFadzean......JCR...............
McGahey.....Cuvelier........Whiteman........Kennedy
Long

Players remaining

Brayford.......Reed
Basham.......DDG
Coutts..........DCL
Sharp..........Adams
Done...........K.Wallace
Scougall......Woolford

- The squad can't obviously be allowed to get as low as 12, so signings would have to be made if and when.

............................New GK

Brayford.......New CB.....New CB.......New LB

New RM......New CM.....New CM.....New LM

....................Sharp..........New ST

Subs/Reserves:

Basham
Coutts
Done
K.Wallace
Adams
DCL
DDG
Reed
Woolford
Scougall

A lot of responsibility to put on a man that has thus far signed 4/5 i.e 80% garbage.

Great post. Ruined at the end by utter dogpiss.

So, once again, lets finish it with some attainable recommendations, eh? Rather than your wearisome 'Adkins is a cunt' schtick.

Adkins may be underperforming (as are the team, truth be told) but changing the manager - again - will further strip cash out of the club and spell out nothing but pariah status for anyone looking for a job.

pommpey

Lets hope we get the players to fill the gaps (better players obviously)

I know it might have been covered in bits and bobs over the forum, but I thought I'd summarise the squad situation properly, once and for all for now and the summer.

Current squad:

- On loan
- Out on loan

Note: That's 31, some have said it's as big as 40 something - batch of youngsters set on?

Summer outgoings

Freeman
McNulty
Wallace

Sammon
Edgar
Hammond

Long

Players remaining

Brayford.......Reed
Basham.......DDG
Coutts..........DCL
Sharp..........Adams
Done...........K.Wallace
Scougall......Woolford

- The squad can't obviously be allowed to get as low as 12, so signings would have to be made if and when.

Subs/Reserves:

Basham
Coutts
Done
K.Wallace
Adams
DCL
DDG
Reed
Woolford
Scougall

A lot of responsibility to put on a man that has thus far signed 4/5 i.e 80% garbage.

As you seem to have airbrushed from history your previous solution to our problems i.e. Flood the first team with kids and give Morgan the job, let's hear what your remedy is now, instead of just the copying and pasting pieces from otero people's threads and adding your own bit of vile to end of it.

As you seem to have airbrushed from history your previous solution to our problems i.e. Flood the first team with kids and give Morgan the job, let's hear what your remedy is now, instead of just the copying and pasting pieces from otero people's threads and adding your own bit of vile to end of it.
Morgan's gone for starters. The point was about giving the most promising of youngsters the game time they need to develop. The only way youngsters are going to benefit is from time on the field, and it's an ideal opportunity to do that for the rest of this season. Who's airbrushed that scenario? No one said play a full eleven of them. It'd be a more than worthwhile cause till the end of the season.

Current squad:

- On loan
- Out on loan

Summer outgoings

Freeman
McNulty
Wallace

Sammon
Edgar
Hammond

Long

Players remaining

Brayford.......Reed
Basham.......DDG
Coutts..........DCL
Sharp..........Adams
Done...........K.Wallace
Scougall......Woolford

Subs/Reserves:

Basham
Coutts
Done
K.Wallace
Adams
DCL
DDG
Reed
Woolford
Scougall

That was an awful lot effort just to get in your 1,000,000th dig at the manager.

Cover it in all the shit you like, you are as transparent as ever.

UTB

Looking at the current squad brings a tear to my eye. It's bloody dreadful in just about every position. Big, big summer for the club ahead. It's not normally the time of season we do well in but are going to need to do our business early to give the new lads some pre-season games.

As much as we would like to have a 90 % new squad I just can't see us releasing that many players.

Next season will shape up like this I feel

Long will be first choice keeper

Brayford will be right back if we haven't decided to get his wages off the books and cash in on him (although his value is diminishing by the game at the moment)

Maceverly will I fear be given a years extension and may even have to play CB.
Hammond will be made a permanent signing (sob!)
Baxter may be offered another year if he refrains from twatting anyone
Woolford will be a first choice for game one.

Sharp is going to need to be superman.

Looking at the current squad brings a tear to my eye. It's bloody dreadful in just about every position. Big, big summer for the club ahead. It's not normally the time of season we do well in but are going to need to do our business early to give the new lads some pre-season games.

We've not done business early in the pre season since probably Dave Basetts first summer in the job, don't hold your breath for that.

It's not normally the time of season we do well in but are going to need to do our business early to give the new lads some pre-season games.

I think Jim Phipps comment / resignation statement about the next two transfer windows being similar to the last one has ruled that out.

Oh right Barney! Thanks, very much appreciated. May as well shut the forum now till pre season.

Oh and did I mention I think you are way of the mark and are talking bo*#*cks.

As always Barney, no offence at all. :)

Wallace is out of contract at the end of the season. although we have the option of a third year, which I can't see being taken up!

I would guess that Adkins will offer one or two of the out of contract players a new contract. Probably Baxter and McEveley have the best chance. Its still going to mean a lot of new signings, so lets hope that Dan Burn is released other wise it could be a frustrating window again! ;-)

When the dross have cleared out and we're then looking to add to the squad for next season.
Where's the money coming from for the next batch of dross?

Have this feeling that'll it be like-for-like scenario, same crap, different names.

When the dross have cleared out and we're then looking to add to the squad for next season.
Where's the money coming from for the next batch of dross?

Have this feeling that'll it be like-for-like scenario, same crap, different names.
Precisely. The current manager's got a rather impressive record of achieving just that so far.

Giving him the room to expand on that? You can't say it bodes well.

Last edited:
I would guess that Adkins will offer one or two of the out of contract players a new contract. Probably Baxter and McEveley have the best chance.

Oh please no.

I really like McEv's willingness to scrap to earn his place back, but he's the wrong age and just hasn't been good enough. If we keep Baxter then I would have to ask, is there any level of failure that SUFC won't tolerate?

Agree with all you squad assessment apart from Long Barney. He's only early 20's, has improved immensely over the last 12 months and is nowhere near the peak for a keeper - he will only get better.

I would like a new number one but he is certainly excellent to have as backup and would even be happy to keep him as our main keeper - other areas in much bigger need of adequate funds being spent. No way would I release him.

Agree with all you squad assessment apart from Long Barney. He's only early 20's, has improved immensely over the last 12 months and is nowhere near the peak for a keeper - he will only get better.

I would like a new number one but he is certainly excellent to have as backup and would even be happy to keep him as our main keeper - other areas in much bigger need of adequate funds being spent. No way would I release him.
No I'd agree actually, I'd keep him as back up. But he'd be the only one. I didn't really pay much attention to the fact that we'd have no keepers at all if we released him, because there's no way I'd be retaining Mark Howard. And I don't think Willis is on the books any more, is he?

If we offer contracts to Mcevely, Collins, Baxter or any of those out of contract in the summer we are offering contracts to the people that have failed in the last 2 years. None of them are going to get any better.

IF the club fail to grasp this opportunity and boot them out then they deserve all the abuse they'll get next season as we fail again.

Morning Barney ,

It's nice to see the squad laid out like you have and start thinking on the re-building.

You're obviously very passionate about getting the new signing's right so I wondered whether, now that you have a bit of free time, you'd be able to do a bit of scouting and do a similar post with suggestions of replacements you'd like Adkins ( or whoever) to get in?

Fill in some of the blanks?

Perhaps you could visit a few non-league clubs, L1/2...further afield or failing that there's always Google..

Would be a good read...

It's a given being as all the good players we sign seem to suddenly become crap players, as soon as they put on a Blades shirt it seems. With the odd exception.

Unless it's a loan player trying to get a contract with us, they then play great. The only problem with that is as soon as they sign a deal they become a Blades player and seem to loose their ability.

Unless that is your Sammon or Hammond and there just Shit all together, even though I like watching Hammond as I like my Rugby.

Do they not warn you about things like this when you're pretending to be Sheffield United boss on Football Manager?

I am ace at being Adkins on FIFA16. I signed Lewandarski, Aguero and Sturridge a bit back and have Harry Maguire and a few high seventies and eighties (like Shreulle).

Meanwhile, down at S2 ...

:)

pommpey

Do they not warn you about things like this when you're pretending to be Sheffield United boss on Football Manager?
Ah, a cheap and unnecessary dig.

It's nice to see you're getting on well with your new and improved "debating" style...

You should try it some time by the way. It's much better than personal digs.

You might happen to display a bit of knowledge from time to time too. A win, win, I'd say.

Up to you.

Current squad:

- On loan
- Out on loan

Summer outgoings

Freeman
McNulty
Wallace

Sammon
Edgar
Hammond

Long

Players remaining

Brayford.......Reed
Basham.......DDG
Coutts..........DCL
Sharp..........Adams
Done...........K.Wallace
Scougall......Woolford

Subs/Reserves:

Basham
Coutts
Done
K.Wallace
Adams
DCL
DDG
Reed
Woolford
Scougall

You're spot on for once Barney.

It has indeed been covered in bits and bobs over the forum.

Back
Top Bottom