Squad Numbers 2015/16

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
So, we're still bored as we have 9 more days to wait for so here are the numbers that players have from last season. Who do you think will change. Brackets denote my prediction. I assume most will keep their numbers but with Sharp coming in, will he want #10? revert back to #24?

I assume Brayford will take 2 with Alcock getting something lower down. Adams and Done may want better numbers too. Woolford and Sammon need new numbers and the new CB will get #5.

I think Wallace should have 8 with Basham 4 although I assume, Wallace will keep 4.

Also, what number is McFadzean??

1. Howard
  2. Alcock
  3. Harris
  4. Wallace
  5. Brayford (2)
  6. Basham (8)
  7. Flynn

8. Murphy
  9. Scougall
  10. Baxter
  11. McNulty
  12. Willis
  13. Done
  14. Collins

15. McGahey
  16. Coutts
  17. McEveley
  18. Campbell-Ryce
  19. Higdon
  20. Reed
  21. De Girolamo

22. Long
  23. Freeman
  24. Kennedy
  25. Dimaio
  26. Adams
  27. .
  28. Khan
  29. .
  30. Wallace
  31. Cuvelier

Suspect there will be some changes.

For example, the team set out last night was not a 1-11 numbered side, which suggests that some squad numbers may be in place.

Sharp wore 10.

UTB

For me, it's like why the cutlery has to be in specific compartments in the cutlery draw, in other words my OCD.

I'm old fashioned when it comes to numbering and firmly believe that keepers wear No.1, Right back 2, Left Back 3, Centre Backs 5 and either 4 or 6, centre mids are 8 and either 4 or 6, right wing 7, left wing 11 and forwards 9 and 10.... ridiculous I know. It annoyed me that Murphy was wearing 9 when he spent most of the season playing wide, it annoys me that Baxter wears 11 and would never play left wing.

It even annoyed me when Argentina decided to number their 78 World Cup Squad alphabetically so Ossie Ardiles wore No.1! Wrong, wrong, wrong!!

I believe that the squad numbers won't be juggled (to my continued annoyance), Brayford will still be 5 and any new players will be allocated available numbers.

Always used to bother me when we played proper 1 to 11 (you knew the players anyway, didn't need their names on the back). Ray Kennedy playing 5 for Liverpool always pissed me off for instance.

Now? Really don't give one and it's a genuine question as to why anyone actually would.

It even annoyed me when Argentina decided to number their 78 World Cup Squad alphabetically so Ossie Ardiles wore No.1! Wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Norberto Alonso (who scored the stunning equaliser for River Plate against us in 1978) wore the number 1 shirt for Argentina in 1978. Ardiles was number 2.

In the 1982 World Cup, Alonso wasnt picked for the squad so Ardiles was number 1

I'm firmly in the "don't really give a toss" camp but..I don't see much point in players already on the books changing numbers because..
All the numbered training kit etc is presumably in the players size.
Fans have bought replica kits with specific names and matching numbers on (e.g. 5 Brayford).
The likes of Alcock are almost certainly not going to be first choice players but does it really need rubbing in?
We might need the fringe players for various reasons so why make them feel unloved unnecessarily.

Norberto Alonso (who scored the stunning equaliser for River Plate against us in 1978) wore the number 1 shirt for Argentina in 1978. Ardiles was number 2.

In the 1982 World Cup, Alonso wasnt picked for the squad so Ardiles was number 1

Thanks Silent, fortunately it doesn't annoy me to be corrected!
I was only 7 in 78 and 11 in 82 and was only using memory rather than google.

Always used to bother me when we played proper 1 to 11 (you knew the players anyway, didn't need their names on the back). Ray Kennedy playing 5 for Liverpool always pissed me off for instance.

Now? Really don't give one and it's a genuine question as to why anyone actually would.

And the genuine answer for me is that is my OCD, but obviously it doesn't really matter.

However, don't get me started on instances where players have been seen wearing 77 or 94 or something, like effing American Football!

For me, it's like why the cutlery has to be in specific compartments in the cutlery draw, in other words my OCD.

I'm old fashioned when it comes to numbering and firmly believe that keepers wear No.1, Right back 2, Left Back 3, Centre Backs 5 and either 4 or 6, centre mids are 8 and either 4 or 6, right wing 7, left wing 11 and forwards 9 and 10.... ridiculous I know. It annoyed me that Murphy was wearing 9 when he spent most of the season playing wide, it annoys me that Baxter wears 11 and would never play left wing.

I believe that the squad numbers won't be juggled (to my continued annoyance), Brayford will still be 5 and any new players will be allocated available numbers.

I would say traditionally number 8 and 10 can both be either midfield or striker.
Tony Currie (for example) was number 10 wasn't he?

I would say traditionally number 8 and 10 can both be either midfield or striker.
Tony Currie (for example) was number 10 wasn't he?
TC wore the number 8 shirt for all the matches he played in the 1969-70 season. Not sure why. He switched to number 10 shirt in 1970-71

Fans have bought replica kits with specific names and matching numbers on (e.g. 5 Brayford).

That is their own fault. You should never put a name and number on a new shirt until the season's squad numbers have been announced. The club shop tell you this when you purchase too.

This is a good read and is why it "matters"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football)

So in the UK a formation is usually

2, 5, 6, 3
7, 4, 8, 11
9 ,10

or

2, 5, 6, 3
7, 4, 8, 11
Whereas on the continent #4 is usually CB with #6 CM.

Last edited:
TC wore the number 8 shirt for all the matches he played in the 1969-70 season. Not sure why. He switched to number 10 shirt in 1970-71
It comes from the old 235 formation, as you probably know. Both 8 and 10 were inside forwards. 9 centre forward and 7 and 11 were the wingers. So it could be either 10 or eight but most clubs used 10 for the second striker (the more creative one) and eight for the attacking midfielder.

That is their own fault. You should never put a name and number on a new shirt until the season's squad numbers have been announced. The club shop tell you this when you purchase too.

What if they've been bought the shirt by a kindly, well-meaning grandparent who is ignorant of current team selection?
What if a small child emptied their piggy bank for last season's shirt in the forlorn hope that Brayford was likely to remain number 5 for the duration of his contract?

What if they've been bought the shirt by a kindly, well-meaning grandparent who is ignorant of current team selection?
What if a small child emptied their piggy bank for last season's shirt in the forlorn hope that Brayford was likely to remain number 5 for the duration of his contract?
Tough titty, basically. :D

I would expect most of the squad numbers being exactly how they were last night.

Mc Fadzean 28, Khan 30, DiMaio 31, Woolford 33
11822815_709892512446129_3331547241207892300_n.jpg

You mean like poor Sean, 15, from Eckington - http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/angry-sheffield-dad-getting-shirty-over-man-united-1-6803889

If you go in the store, they make the point of telling you that the numbers haven't been released yet. If you are having your own name on they ask if it is "definitely" the right size as it can't be refunded.

I guess the website will also have a disclaimer on at checkout?!

I'd guess that those amongst us who have OCD when it comes to squad numbers probably played a lot of championship manager in their youth. Choosing your squad numbers was actually an exciting part of the game.. For me anyway

You mean like poor Sean, 15, from Eckington - http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/angry-sheffield-dad-getting-shirty-over-man-united-1-6803889

If you go in the store, they make the point of telling you that the numbers haven't been released yet. If you are having your own name on they ask if it is "definitely" the right size as it can't be refunded.

I guess the website will also have a disclaimer on at checkout?!

“Now they have decided to change his number to 11, so Joseph’s shirt is no good.”

You heard the man, his shirt is no good now that the number doesn't match the name.
It probably lets in water now or something and has been rendered useless. :)

Like I said originally, I don't really give a toss and I don't buy current replica shirts.
However, a club opens itself up to problems like this unnecessarily by changing the numbers of current players for no good reason.
I particularly do disagree with taking number 2 from current player Alcock and giving it Brayford.
Scougall and J.Wallace aren't looking like first choices either, should we change their number too and rubber stamp it for them?

I'm not craving the release of the squad numbers, but I feel like new numbers (especially with a new manager) give you an insight into his plans.
Obviously the players with the lower numbers are more likely to play week in week out. That's why I think Ol' Billy will get his number 10 - sorry scougs

Back
Top Bottom