Some perspective needed from both sides

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladesway

Not a member of the reaction faction
Reaction score
Wow, what a fun week its been on here. We won away and this place went into meltdown as the sides steeled themselves for the usual rock throwing. Then on Saturday we bettered ourselves by getting thumped and it all kicked off again with the hate brigade finally having the ammo they apparently crave. Even Harrys game made his chilly appearance on the back of the loss, so things must be shit.

I cannot be the only one surely who sits in the middle of this with my head in my hands. People want to apportion blame, others want a poll to see how long we will be in this division. Others see nothing wrong and think we will win the league at a canter. There must be those in the middle like myself.

I liken it to the Scottish referendum. Both sides have their fingers in their ears, proverbial cannons at the ready. Swiss has his Happiness Howitzer and Pommpey his swearasaurus in his back pocket. No one appears to see that we are in both a very good and a very worrying position at the same time.

There is no doubt we only lost one of the last 7, we have played some of the best teams in the division away (Preston, Peterborough and now Swindon). Only one has taken any points from us. We are three points off second place and have a game in hand on a couple of the teams above us. We have been operating with some injured players such as Scougall who had such an effect when he came on against Colchester. This is all the good stuff but then there is this.......

We are only three points off the bottom end of the table and lets all be honest about it we can count the good minutes in each game on the fingers of both hands (thats ten for those wondering or living in Barnsley). We look/sound disjoined and it is clear that the manager isn't happy with the way things are currently going. We sold our best player in the summer and the bloke we were going to put in his shoes has fucked off on loan to Walsall from whence he came. None of the new signings have particularly stood out and we have been reliant on midfielders and defenders scoring the goals that we expected the forward line to at least participate in. Higdon looks more like a waste of money and I am struggling to think of anyone making the sort of impact you would have wanted (notice I didn't say expected). Even only 8 games in it isn't filling anyone with confidence. The fact that even those filled to the brim with positivity are saying "ahh but wait until we click" or "wait until insert name here is match fit" tells you a story. You listen to the manager, a man who for the first time in some while I trust with the keys to the Kingdom and he doesn't seem 100% happy with the situation.

Then you move to the upstairs of the club. We have Phippsy telling us all to hang in there and it will all be cool "dudes", and McCabe and the "Prince is Right" saying nowt. Now in my experience football people with money want to prove it and spend it. This isn't a spend it regime in my opinion. Are we building the foundation stones for the future? How do we know no one is saying anything.

We put some bids in for some players on deadline day but (shock) they weren't high enough and so we didn't get the players we wanted. 2-3 of them. That tells me the real story of both what Clough wants and what he is being given. Anyone can bid for a player. I can ring a club up and put a bid in. It might be 58p and a fish finger but its a bid.

However, we are actually in a good position table wise. If you looked at this in isolation you would wonder what all the fuss is about. And I do. We do need to improve and we do need new players, but I do have faith in Clough that he both knows what he is doing and knows who he wants to do it. Problem is I don't have faith in anything attached to Kevin McCabe to give him what it is he needs. That said, 2 players could turn this season from a scrap for the play offs to a challenge for the top 2. A Morgan type Centre half and either a striker, or goalgetting midfielder.

So Mr McCabe and co. If you want to maximise your revenue streams and put the Blades somewhere close to back on the map you do need to put your hand in your pocket before its too late. Clough will get the right players but for the sake of God can we pay the right money, just once. Well twice actually.

Reflective and reasoned - I think it all comes down to expectations. If the board stated at the start of the season that top half was the target, would the mood be better now?

Bladesway speak for yourself splinter arse..

There's no right or wrong in the "clappers/knockers" debate but if you're a knocker then you are in the dark side! Only joking.

Well written post!

Should be prospectus need on both sides
I think this division is so poor we will stumble in around 6th spot even without spending any money .if we did strengthen with quality in the right areas I think we would still go straight up .from what ive seen there is no outstanding team in this division

Wow, what a fun week its been on here. We won away and this place went into meltdown as the sides steeled themselves for the usual rock throwing. Then on Saturday we bettered ourselves by getting thumped and it all kicked off again with the hate brigade finally having the ammo they apparently crave. Even Harrys game made his chilly appearance on the back of the loss, so things must be shit.

I cannot be the only one surely who sits in the middle of this with my head in my hands. People want to apportion blame, others want a poll to see how long we will be in this division. Others see nothing wrong and think we will win the league at a canter. There must be those in the middle like myself.

I liken it to the Scottish referendum. Both sides have their fingers in their ears, proverbial cannons at the ready. Swiss has his Happiness Howitzer and Pommpey his swearasaurus in his back pocket. No one appears to see that we are in both a very good and a very worrying position at the same time.

There is no doubt we only lost one of the last 7, we have played some of the best teams in the division away (Preston, Peterborough and now Swindon). Only one has taken any points from us. We are three points off second place and have a game in hand on a couple of the teams above us. We have been operating with some injured players such as Scougall who had such an effect when he came on against Colchester. This is all the good stuff but then there is this.......

We are only three points off the bottom end of the table and lets all be honest about it we can count the good minutes in each game on the fingers of both hands (thats ten for those wondering or living in Barnsley). We look/sound disjoined and it is clear that the manager isn't happy with the way things are currently going. We sold our best player in the summer and the bloke we were going to put in his shoes has fucked off on loan to Walsall from whence he came. None of the new signings have particularly stood out and we have been reliant on midfielders and defenders scoring the goals that we expected the forward line to at least participate in. Higdon looks more like a waste of money and I am struggling to think of anyone making the sort of impact you would have wanted (notice I didn't say expected). Even only 8 games in it isn't filling anyone with confidence. The fact that even those filled to the brim with positivity are saying "ahh but wait until we click" or "wait until insert name here is match fit" tells you a story. You listen to the manager, a man who for the first time in some while I trust with the keys to the Kingdom and he doesn't seem 100% happy with the situation.

Then you move to the upstairs of the club. We have Phippsy telling us all to hang in there and it will all be cool "dudes", and McCabe and the "Prince is Right" saying nowt. Now in my experience football people with money want to prove it and spend it. This isn't a spend it regime in my opinion. Are we building the foundation stones for the future? How do we know no one is saying anything.

We put some bids in for some players on deadline day but (shock) they weren't high enough and so we didn't get the players we wanted. 2-3 of them. That tells me the real story of both what Clough wants and what he is being given. Anyone can bid for a player. I can ring a club up and put a bid in. It might be 58p and a fish finger but its a bid.

However, we are actually in a good position table wise. If you looked at this in isolation you would wonder what all the fuss is about. And I do. We do need to improve and we do need new players, but I do have faith in Clough that he both knows what he is doing and knows who he wants to do it. Problem is I don't have faith in anything attached to Kevin McCabe to give him what it is he needs. That said, 2 players could turn this season from a scrap for the play offs to a challenge for the top 2. A Morgan type Centre half and either a striker, or goalgetting midfielder.

So Mr McCabe and co. If you want to maximise your revenue streams and put the Blades somewhere close to back on the map you do need to put your hand in your pocket before its too late. Clough will get the right players but for the sake of God can we pay the right money, just once. Well twice actually.
Top post, and Porter aside me and you could have been separated at birth ( clearly me with the best genes from the pool) .

That said, you are writing as someone who considers themselves from the middle of a spectrum, but your analysis is still one of overall negativity. Which reinforces where we are right now. At the moment, the slashers are winning on points, but the clappers are hopefully saving a big right hook for the knockout blow.

Come on McCabe and your Worshipfullness, show us what you're made of!

:)

UTB

Last edited:
Good Post!

I think it's been said by others so in that respect you're not alone. There is genuine cause for concern, promotion chasing teams don't often concede like we have in the last couple of games. That said we aren't in a bad position right at this moment and our form hasn't hurt us too badly so far.

That cannot continue though and I am sure this isn't lost on our manager OR board, we are obviously limited in what we can do at the moment with only a loan window in operation but if we can get a couple of quality performers in then still being on the coat tails of the clubs above us means we don't have a lot to claw back.

Polar views are from my experience what drive messageboards but once the swearing starts it's difficult to continue discussions. I'm always ready for a debate but debate needs two sides with a similar goal and not just two opposing views that they demand the other side to concede.

Great OP Bladesway. Ideally we'd have kicked on from the end of last season, of course!. "Losing" Maguire, Brayford and Coady was a shame, to say the least. What's as disappointing, or maybe more disappointing,.is that we had other key players, just as influential, who haven't delivered so far this season.. Murphy, Flynn,.Scougall.. Not blaming them with injuries or loss of form. But that isn't half a double whammy..At the end of last season the defence wasn't under so much scrutiny. Now it is, but that surely is only half the story. Chuck in the injury to Baxter, and JCR, it's all gone a bit wrong..I still reckon Clough is in enough credit ..UTB

we are just frustrated because we need to make the top two, we should be running the show all things considered, but we have just realised one year on that the investment is for the brand, business that is SUFC.

they can not get it into their thick heads that if we buy championship players to get out of this league then not only will this be successful we will have a very strong chance of consolidating in the championship with those very same players, therefore giving us a great season going up as champs and adding to the gates every Saturday as we all know a winning team sells stadiums out after January when they are running away with it, sad but true..

short sighted, unambitious, poor ownership, that's the problem...

wanna see what clough is capable off, just remember last season when he got the tools to work with..

I was going to post that we're saving all our monies for something 'Ched-shaped'..but I didn't want to ruin your thread...

None of the new signings have particularly stood out

Afraid I have to disagree. Chris Basham has stood out as the absolute pinnacle of footballing shitness. He is so, so awful. It's like watching a Great Dane who's just been granted bipedal movement having its first excited runaround, in the middle of a game of professional football.

ok seeing as ched shaped has been introduced to the thread I will finally chip in.

the return of mr evans will be for one reason only going by the current state of play at bdtbl..

1 re sign evans
2 take the media shitstorm that will obviously come our way
3 hope evans rips a few teams a new one
4 evans becomes hot property and fair game now we took the hit by being the baddies signing a convicted rapist
5 sell evans and get the 3 mill back that mr mcabe paid out, or a fair amount of it at least.

if evans comes back it will be for only one reason, mcabes money, not what he will pay in wages etc, the money he spent when signing him, 3 million pound will walk back into bramall lane and we the fans can suck it up take the stick, with this ownership, anybody any good gets sold, because they are happy with the gates and the wages paid, selling the best player every window runs the club....

we have just realised one year on that the investment is for the brand, business that is SUFC.

Its not surprising it took a while to dawn - firstly the level of the "substantial" investment has never been elaborated on in any form ( "I’ve agreed I won’t disclose the number." the sheik September 2013); secondly the "investment" wasn't available for last summer's transfer window as it came too late and it has only just become clear a day or so ago that the HM1 transfer money was the only money available for this summer's window, thirdly McCabe went on Radio Sheffield (September 2013) and specifically said :

"This is game-changing for this club and the funds being invested in the team are substantial.The money being made available is for investment at first-team level and that means building a squad that can get us back to the upper echelons of English football."

The goalposts have been moved significantly since - all this talk about jam tomorrow ( eg we will invest when we are in the Championship etc) is quite frankly a load of hogwash. The one thing they were specific about was that the substantial "investment had got a timetable to start rolling in - "I’ll invest over the next two years" - the sheik, September 2013 - no conditions put on it at that time.

No-one likes to be made to look a mug or to be taken for a ride. Expectations were legitimately raised by these statements so its hardly surprising that people are angry, disappointed and feel let down. I know I do, despite the fact that I have been watching United for five decades. ( I know - I should have learned by now :p but, like most I will be a Blade till I die. Its not something you get a great deal of social kudos from but its part of who I am.)

I am fully expecting the apologists on the Board, principally JP, to come out with a load of old toffee about them never saying the above or discovering this or that had to be done once the deal was signed - which will only show that the advisors the sheik hired to carry out his "due diligence exercise" didn't do a very good job and he ought to ask for his money back from them. And if all else fails it will be the blame the manager game - ie we asked NC what he needed and we gave it to him.

One thing is for certain - the last people to be fingered will be the ones most culpable in the "investment" shambles (the board) and we will never know what NC really asked for or was given - unless of course he gets a better offer elsewhere and then he might explain. If he is sacked his pay-off will no doubt have handcuff clauses in it preventing discussion of the circumstances. It's a case of "it's my ball and I'm taking it home with me" :p

Top post, and Porter aside me and you could have been separated at birth ( clearly me with the best genes from the pool) .

That said, you are writing as someone who considers themselves from the middle of a spectrum, but your analysis is still one of overall negativity. Which reinforces where we are right now. At the moment, the slashers are winning on points, but the clappers are hopefully saving a big right hook for the knockout blow.

Come on McCabe and your Worshipfullness, show us what you're made of!

:)

UTB

Fair point but I would balance that by saying the negatives are in the main historical and bred into the club. We haven't really had many positives to build on. In fact if you went back 12 months we had none at all so you could say we have made great strides.

By nature I'm a positive person but 40 years of supporting the Blades means you normally have a negative perspective when it comes to all things sufc.

For me we are moving forward but we are still being lied to on the scale of investment and what it will bring us. We have our best manager since Warnock and have to hang on to him.

The reply is not aimed at you Alco just using your post as an entry point.

Today is the yard stick to judge the board on investment. The loan window opened yesterday but the 93 [or is it 98] day rule means no one was coming in until today as they would miss games at the end of the period.

Three players of Brayfords calibre will cost the best part of 600K, that is serious investment over 93 days to me.

Lets see where we are Saturday?

Excellent post

I think I fall in that middle ground. Part of me is really enjoying the season but thats probably down to the fact I have got my first ever season ticket and I have only seen us lose once. Add in a great day out at Preston where I thought we played the best all season and the turnaround at Colchester which by the very nature makes for an exciting evening even if we were crap for 80 minutes.

But then I feel we are still a disjointed side, due to injuries and loss of form we have not had a settled team. Baxter and JCR have been a loss especially JCR as he has the pace. We are still missing a pacey striker as we have been for sometime.

So bang in the middle, who knows we may win 4 or 5 on the bounce or we could get one point out of the next 15, I know thats stating the bleeding obvious but I really believe it could go either way

Excellent post

I think I fall in that middle ground. Part of me is really enjoying the season but thats probably down to the fact I have got my first ever season ticket and I have only seen us lose once. Add in a great day out at Preston where I thought we played the best all season and the turnaround at Colchester which by the very nature makes for an exciting evening even if we were crap for 80 minutes.

But then I feel we are still a disjointed side, due to injuries and loss of form we have not had a settled team. Baxter and JCR have been a loss especially JCR as he has the pace. We are still missing a pacey striker as we have been for sometime.

So bang in the middle, who knows we may win 4 or 5 on the bounce or we could get one point out of the next 15, I know thats stating the bleeding obvious but I really believe it could go either way
It was a very good post from Bladesway ,and yours was a very well balanced one aswell with key points in both posts.Whatever you do don't stop stating the obvious because some of our fans seem to forget about the obvious.Like you say,Baxter and JCR have hit us really hard and we need these two back as soon as possible,any team misses their best players,fact,and we certainly missed them two in the last couple of games whether we won at Colchester or not.

ok seeing as ched shaped has been introduced to the thread I will finally chip in.

the return of mr evans will be for one reason only going by the current state of play at bdtbl..

1 re sign evans
2 take the media shitstorm that will obviously come our way
3 hope evans rips a few teams a new one
4 evans becomes hot property and fair game now we took the hit by being the baddies signing a convicted rapist
5 sell evans and get the 3 mill back that mr mcabe paid out, or a fair amount of it at least.

if evans comes back it will be for only one reason, mcabes money, not what he will pay in wages etc, the money he spent when signing him, 3 million pound will walk back into bramall lane and we the fans can suck it up take the stick, with this ownership, anybody any good gets sold, because they are happy with the gates and the wages paid, selling the best player every window runs the club....
We have set aside substantial funds and are willing to match his current wages

Good post Bladesway ,however as usual the ones who slag United off have the loudest voices and say the same things over and over again until he becomes boring as hell but appears that they hold the most popular views. Bit like the Scottish Yes voters.

Good post Bladesway ,however as usual the ones who slag United off have the loudest voices and say the same things over and over again until he becomes boring as hell but appears that they hold the most popular views. Bit like the Scottish Yes voters.

I too get fed up with the "Its all shit and it will always be shit" but like the noisy yes voters they have as valid a voice as the rest of us. Perhaps its up to everyone to make their voice heard and to engage with each other rather than launching granades in a "I'm a bigger blade than you are" way that these arguments always seem to follow.

I'm frustrated with the lack of investment but I do see that with the manager and current set up we actually aren't as far away as some would have you believe from a team that can win this division. But how many times have we pissed these opportunities up the wall by doing it on the cheap? Then again you can see the shoots of recovery from what is the best part of a ten year slump in our fortunes. I think we are genuinely at a crossroads where what we do now could effect us for years. Invest with a good manager and prosper, scrimp and save and lose that manager and we go down the tubes to employing lesser managers because they know we do things on the cheap.

I too get fed up with the "Its all shit and it will always be shit" but like the noisy yes voters they have as valid a voice as the rest of us. Perhaps its up to everyone to make their voice heard and to engage with each other rather than launching granades in a "I'm a bigger blade than you are" way that these arguments always seem to follow.

I'm frustrated with the lack of investment but I do see that with the manager and current set up we actually aren't as far away as some would have you believe from a team that can win this division. But how many times have we pissed these opportunities up the wall by doing it on the cheap? Then again you can see the shoots of recovery from what is the best part of a ten year slump in our fortunes. I think we are genuinely at a crossroads where what we do now could effect us for years. Invest with a good manager and prosper, scrimp and save and lose that manager and we go down the tubes to employing lesser managers because they know we do things on the cheap.

Totally agree about the crossroads, BW.

"But how many times have we pissed these opportunities up the wall by doing it on the cheap?"
That tells you why people are concerned and wounded given the current signs and the level of performances we are seeing. To my mind it's not the specific results as much as the confidence that we can sustain the challenge to get the results of the last 7 or so games on a consistent manner.
If the pissing up the wall didn't happen so frequently then I am sure there would be far more positivity in the air.
As it happens, it feels just like all the rest of the times when it fizzles out before it's even started.

If Sheffield United was an unwanted affliction it would be premature ejaculation

Back
Top Bottom