Sod the development squad!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

puppet

Reaction score
In the Billy Clark rumour thread, one poster (this is not aimed at them...) concluded he could be a 'development squad' signing. The term has now become something we accept as being an integral part of how the club works, without seemingly questioning the motives of having such a thing.
I say balls to the development squad, its just a smokescreen to bring in young, decent players on the cheap to move on for frees after pemberton has brought them on - you only have to look at the veiled intention in McCabe's statements about basing the first team squad around the youth... IF we can keep them. We got shot of the Kyles super quick and thats all this so-called development squad is, a production line with no intention of ever 'developing' them into a super team of young, quality players for SUFC.

In the Billy Clark rumour thread, one poster (this is not aimed at them...) concluded he could be a 'development squad' signing. The term has now become something we accept as being an integral part of how the club works, without seemingly questioning the motives of having such a thing.
I say balls to the development squad, its just a smokescreen to bring in young, decent players on the cheap to move on for frees after pemberton has brought them on - you only have to look at the veiled intention in McCabe's statements about basing the first team squad around the youth... IF we can keep them. We got shot of the Kyles super quick and thats all this so-called development squad is, a production line with no intention of ever 'developing' them into a super team of young, quality players for SUFC.

I thought the intention was to bring in players that we can see develop into first-teamers or develop into players we can sell on. Some won't make it, so fit into the second category. Others will make it and fit into the first category - e.g. McAllister, and probably a few others next season.

I don't follow Pup. If we "develop" players and sell for a profit, then it's money that doesn't have to be found from elsewhere. Are you suggesting that we could otherwise (without player sales) be finacially stable? Len believed the money tree existed, but we're yet to find it.

I think McCabe has overseen as big a "cock up" as you do. The difference, I think, is that you believe he's trousering a fortune from us. I believe he's lost a fortune on us.

UTB

None taken :)

For development squad read reserves, I don't think anything's changed particularly, what I meant was, I expect we're looking at him as one for the future rather than saying he's going to challenge the 1st team immediately.

As we know, any member of the playing staff from 16 to 40 is available for the right price so whether they're youth team, reserve team, development team or whatever doesn't really matter. Similarly, anyone good enough should be given a chance, that's where we've fallen short in recent years.

For me the development squad is key at the moment. We've proved that we either can't compete with the big boys in attracting decent talent which is ready for first team action and also when we can compete, we near bankrupt ourselves. So the development squad and Academy are the only saving graces for this club at the moment.

Pesky agents, players wages demands mean that often the only option is getting talented players on loan and that system has proved unreliable and expensive.

We can't afford to maintain a massive squad of players on first team wages, so the only option to bolster our squad seems to be young cheap options. Its a risk of course as they can often turn out to be crap, but the likes of McAlistair has shown that for a few months in the development set up he can soon be playing first team football.

I hear Glen Hoddle is doing well with his second chance academy in Spain and he doesn't have the benefit of a first team to blood his players in.

I've been brain washed to thinking that the Development Squad is the future. But it'll only work if the first team manager wants to/ is able to use them in his plans

If two or three from McAllister, Tønne, Conneely, Løkberg and Warren become first team squad members next season I think the idea will have proved a very good one. A problem may be that Adams (who was appointed after it was set up) got rid of most of the scouts last season, so we may not have the same contacts any more. Would be interesting if someone from the club could comment on what's happening.

Anyone who believes its for the benefit of the team is way off beam. If we were nurturing a team for the future fine, but we arent.

Anyone who believes its for the benefit of the team is way off beam. If we were nurturing a team for the future fine, but we arent.

Don't think so puppet. I think you'll find there will be quite a few of the developement squad players in the first team next season. Maguire, Slew, Long, McAllister and Tonne have all played in the dev squad. Probably Philliskirk will get into the first team as well. Time will tell.

Don't think so puppet. I think you'll find there will be quite a few of the developement squad players in the first team next season. Maguire, Slew, Long, McAllister and Tonne have all played in the dev squad. Probably Philliskirk will get into the first team as well. Time will tell.

I think the first two names mentioned will be gone before the season starts.... any others probably sold in january. i just do not believe we have any intention of building a team around them.

The development squad is also there as our reserves, to get games at their age.

Hi Willie. I don't think the first three have been anywhere near the development squad last season. Though I agree they may get closer to the first team squad next year, they will more than likely spend more time with thedevelopment squad. I think thats where the system we have at the lane with Pembo leading the academy, Smith with the development squad and Wilson controlling 1st team affairs fails. Especially if all three don't sing from the same hymn sheet, it makes it difficult for players to players to move between the squads.

UTB

Just checked development squads for last season, Maguire, and Slew got a few games early on, as did a few other academy lads. I'm wrong again! ;)

Hi Willie. I don't think the first three have been anywhere near the development squad last season. Though I agree they may get closer to the first team squad next year, they will more than likely spend more time with thedevelopment squad. I think thats where the system we have at the lane with Pembo leading the academy, Smith with the development squad and Wilson controlling 1st team affairs fails. Especially if all three don't sing from the same hymn sheet, it makes it difficult for players to players to move between the squads.

UTB

Just checked development squads for last season, Maguire, and Slew got a few games early on, as did a few other academy lads. I'm wrong again! ;)

Yes they did. I saw Slew play a reserve game the season before last alongside a lad called Foster. Maguire was sub that day. Foster looked a far better player than Slew that day. Not heard anything about him for a while must be injured.

Yes they did. I saw Slew play a reserve game the season before last alongside a lad called Foster. Maguire was sub that day. Foster looked a far better player than Slew that day. Not heard anything about him for a while must be injured.

Nathan Foster was released at some stage last season, and joined Sheffield FC.

Forgot about Philliskirk. I wonder if we've got his position wrong though. At Chelsea they gradually found out he was better in central midfield than in any of the forward positions.

An opinion from a Chelsea reserve team watcher, written before his loan move to Oxford a year ago:

What Can Oxford Expect from Daniel Philliskirk?

Posted on 02 August 2010 by Juni. Tags: Youth & Reserves

So the 2010/11 loan exodus begins.

After seventeen different players embarked on nineteen separate loan spells last season, Daniel Philliskirk became the second of an expected many (following Rhys Taylor) to find a new temporary home for the new campaign.

The midfielder will join up with Oxford United this week and spend a month on loan at the Kassam Stadium; a deal which will likely be extended should he impress.

It’s the 19 year-old’s first foray into professional football, three years after joining Chelsea as a first-year scholar from Oldham Athletic. But what can followers of the Us expect from their new signing?

First off, we should set something straight. Manager Chris Wilder made something of an intriguing statement when revealing the move:

“Chelsea play in the three up front so he is used to playing in that. If he does well then he has a great opportunity here.”

Now this, on the face of it, is true. Daniel does have vast experience at playing in a 4-3-3 formation, which the club had adopted throughout every level from 2004-2009, and still use occasionally at Under-18 level and as the formation of choice for all junior sides.

However, it suggests that Oxford may intend to use him as a forward. Which could be a problem.

Philliskirk was a forward in his more formative years, and came to the club touted as a a striker when he left Boundary Park. Whilst he has occasionally played as a lead striker wearing the number nine shirt in Chelsea Blue, he has most often lined up in midfield.

Indeed, he has probably played in attack as often as he has at centre-back, as he filled in across the back line on occasion during the 2008/09 season.

One Oxford fan has today suggested to me that James Constable will be leading their attack this season, flanked by two wide men. It would be a reach to expect Daniel to play in one of those roles, as he has very little recent experience doing so, and it contradicts his style.

If their intention is, as would make sense, to play him in the middle of the park, then everything changes, and it could be a successful relationship.

Whilst he’s not an exceptionally gifted athlete, he can handle the rough and tumble of adult professional football, and is technically accomplished to play in a team wanting to adopt an attractive style.

He’s a capable passer over all distances, and plays a neat and tidy game, perhaps in the style (not ability) of a Paul Scholes. He may appear rather unassuming, perhaps introverted, but leads by example and has captained Chelsea at youth and reserve level.

The aim for the four-week spell must surely to be to nail down a starting berth early on and making a positive impression which leads either to a longer spell at the club, or a step up to another level.

Everything he’s shown at Chelsea so far suggests he should be good enough to compete in the division, if not stand out should the opportunity be given to him.

Chelsea have tended to shy away from loans to England’s fourth tier in recent years, preferring to find homes in League One.

Last season, only Nana Ofori-Twumasi played in League Two, spending six weeks at Dagenham & Redbridge. The season before saw just Lee Sawyer and Tom Taiwo at Wycombe Wanderers and Port Vale respectively.

However, Rhys Taylor is at Crewe Alexandra to start the season, and with the likes of Jack Cork and Ryan Bertrand having taken their first senior steps at this level with Bournemouth, there’s definitely merit in the idea.

We’ll be keeping a close eye on Daniel’s progress, as well as that of every loanee the club sends out this season, here at TheChels.net throughout the campaign.

I've heard today that there has been a bit of a shake up in the structure and Pembo is now responsible for the development squad as well as the academy. I think this is a positive step and should make it easier to develop the better academy players, ensuring that they can drop into the development squad safe in the knowledge that they won't be asked to change how they have been playing at academy level.

I was told a story of Slew being told he was starting a game for the 1st team, 2 hours before kick off, he would be expected to play up front on his own, he'd never played that role for the academy. They never worked on it in training during the week, nobody pulled him to have a chat about what was expected prior to the game.

You've got to hope that there will be a common way of setting your team up runing from the juniors through to the 1st team, allowing players to drop into whatever squad and know the positions and how to play them.

UTB

I've heard today that there has been a bit of a shake up in the structure and Pembo is now responsible for the development squad as well as the academy. I think this is a positive step and should make it easier to develop the better academy players, ensuring that they can drop into the development squad safe in the knowledge that they won't be asked to change how they have been playing at academy level.

I was told a story of Slew being told he was starting a game for the 1st team, 2 hours before kick off, he would be expected to play up front on his own, he'd never played that role for the academy. They never worked on it in training during the week, nobody pulled him to have a chat about what was expected prior to the game.

You've got to hope that there will be a common way of setting your team up runing from the juniors through to the 1st team, allowing players to drop into whatever squad and know the positions and how to play them.

UTB

The development squad has always been under Pembo's umbrella, hasn't it?

That Slew story was in regards to the Swansea game and caused issues between the first team and academy management for exactly that reason. I believe JP had a large say in the managerial process and stock is very high with our current board in regards to how he believes the game should be played and the kids developed.

The development squad has always been under Pembo's umbrella, hasn't it?

That Slew story was in regards to the Swansea game and caused issues between the first team and academy management for exactly that reason. I believe JP had a large say in the managerial process and stock is very high with our current board in regards to how he believes the game should be played and the kids developed.

No FB I believe that Mark Smith was solely responsible for the development squad last year.

The Slew story was in fact the Swansea game.

JP played no part in the appointment of Wilson, he was asked to go to the press conference when he was announced but refused because he hadn't been part of it.

UTB

No FB I believe that Mark Smith was solely responsible for the development squad last year.

The Slew story was in fact the Swansea game.

JP played no part in the appointment of Wilson, he was asked to go to the press conference when he was announced but refused because he hadn't been part of it.

UTB

Interesting Frenchy, some of that contradicts what I understood especially who identified the targets for the development squad.

Cheers.

Interesting Frenchy, some of that contradicts what I understood especially who identified the targets for the development squad.

Cheers.

Might be that both are true - Pemberton helped identify suitable players but Smith was responsible for the reserve squad games? Seems disjointed I know but our entire season was!

Back
Top Bottom