So!!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mad Mick

Reaction score
We've played everyone in the top 6 at least once. We've played all but Bristol Rovers away. That means they have to come to us when we are hopefully on form. Bearing in mind some of them we played when we were still finding our feet.

These are often classed as 6 pointers, and if we carry on playing like we have been I feel we will win most of them. That means we could make their goal averages worse, apart from Scunny who have a massive advantage in goals. That said I think Scunthorpe will falter. So what's my point?
It's early I know, but the signs look good.

Come May next year the world could be Blade shaped. :)

49671.jpg

I thought this was going to be about people who start every sentence with So.....get's my goat does that!
So anyway, the division is poor again, so we must capitalise on that..So we are going to win the league as we are fucking awesome......there!

So, I don't really get that many are saying that Scunthorpe will falter.........why should they? People thought that Burton would falter last season..........and Leicester for that matter.

Scunthorpe are up there because they are playing well and scoring lots of goals. Who knows whether or not they will carry on like this but I can't see any reason to suggest that they will falter.

So, I don't really get that many are saying that Scunthorpe will falter.........why should they? People thought that Burton would falter last season..........and Leicester for that matter.

Scunthorpe are up there because they are playing well and scoring lots of goals. Who knows whether or not they will carry on like this but I can't see any reason to suggest that they will falter.

Mainly because the lion's share of their goals have been provided by Josh Morris, a midfielder who up until this season had only scored 11 career league goals (he has 13 in 15 this year)

I think a lot of people are assuming that he can't replicate this kind of form across the full season, and his current spell is just a purple patch: I haven't seen enough of him this season to confidently agree one way of the other.

Looking at their results from this season as well, I'd also suggest that they have had an easier start than ourselves.

Mainly because the lion's share of their goals have been provided by Josh Morris, a midfielder who up until this season had only scored 11 career league goals (he has 13 in 15 this year)

I think a lot of people are assuming that he can't replicate this kind of form across the full season, and his current spell is just a purple patch: I haven't seen enough of him this season to confidently agree one way of the other.

Looking at their results from this season as well, I'd also suggest that they have had an easier start than ourselves.

I know where you are coming from, but they have other players capable of scoring goals:

Paddy Madden
Van Veen
Holmes

My guess is that Scunny will last the distance... I'd be happy to be proved wrong though and I wouldn't mind us bidding for a couple of their players in January, if not just to unsettle the players.

So, I don't really get that many are saying that Scunthorpe will falter.........why should they?

Because it seems to happen almost every year. Always one or two fast out the traps who have a stormer then run out of steam. Tranmere did it the other year and look where they are now. Orient did it recently. Seem to recall Bury did it as well?

I'd also argue Burton faltered massively after FLN took the reigns. They just did enough to stay up there.

and whilst that is a good reason (and I expect him to dry up myself), you only have to look at Michael Brown circa 02/03 to see that players can have "one off" seasons where they completely out perform anything they've done before or will do again. Hopefully this guys purple patch will not even be a full season!

Fair reasoning there Chali - I suppose though when you are in a purple patch as a player it should give you the confidence to keep producing and also, regardless who Scunthorpe have played so far, winning is a great habit and again breeds confidence throughout. Also, as Bladey says, they have other goal scorers.

I thought this was going to be about people who start every sentence with So.....get's my goat does that!
So anyway, the division is poor again, so we must capitalise on that..So we are going to win the league as we are fucking awesome......there!

Agree drives me barmy as well, so called "hipster" speak. Your examples don't really do the annoying habit justice however, it's when people say " so" when there's absolutely no need. On a positive note that there "up talking" seems to be dying a death

Fair reasoning there Chali - I suppose though when you are in a purple patch as a player it should give you the confidence to keep producing and also, regardless who Scunthorpe have played so far, winning is a great habit and again breeds confidence throughout. Also, as Bladey says, they have other goal scorers.
No I didn't.

;)

Looking down the fixture list, the highest placed side we play till January is Northampton in 8th. There are a lot of games on that list that need to be routine wins. In fact, unless I've missed one, we don't play another current top six side until February where we face Wimbledon, Bristol, Scunthorpe, and Bolton all in that month (three of those at home).

It's imperative that we get a very good run of form in and leave those teams needing to come and take points off us.

I'd also argue Burton faltered massively after FLN took the reigns. They just did enough to stay up there.

So you're saying that when Clough took over in December, they faltered massively for the next 4 months but still managed to get promoted automatically? Think that's very unfair on Clough.

I know where you are coming from, but they have other players capable of scoring goals:

Paddy Madden
Van Veen
Holmes

My guess is that Scunny will last the distance... I'd be happy to be proved wrong though and I wouldn't mind us bidding for a couple of their players in January, if not just to unsettle the players.

Those players can score goals, but none are anything special. I'd sooner have Clarke, Done and Sharp.

I'm of the opinion that they won't be in the top 2 at the end of the season.

Fancy a £10 bet with the loser paying a charity of the victor's choice?

Because it seems to happen almost every year. Always one or two fast out the traps who have a stormer then run out of steam. Tranmere did it the other year and look where they are now. Orient did it recently. Seem to recall Bury did it as well?

I should point out that your point about Burton is a bit of a fallacy. I'm fairly certain that Clough's points/games ratio was better than Hasselbank's.

and whilst that is a good reason (and I expect him to dry up myself), you only have to look at Michael Brown circa 02/03 to see that players can have "one off" seasons where they completely out perform anything they've done before or will do again. Hopefully this guys purple patch will not even be a full season!

Yes, sometimes it just clicks and a player truly finds his feet, and like I say I don't know enough about Morris to make any real conclusion either way. I'm hoping that it's just a rich vein of form as opposed to him suddenly becoming a world beater.

So you're saying that when Clough took over in December, they faltered massively for the next 4 months but still managed to get promoted automatically? Think that's very unfair on Clough.

Perhaps 'massively' is over-egging it somewhat, but to my recollection they were miles ahead at one stage and ended up getting automatically promoted by 1 point.

All the same great result of course, but teams who initially fly quite often falter and get caught up to.

I'm not an out-and-out Clough hater looking to belittle his achievements; none of us are in a position to do so, frankly. I'm just trying to point out why people think Scunthorpe will flail a bit.

Burton just held on yes. Lost their manager and best player 2 qpr for around 350,000.Fell over the line but they r there.If they stay up this year,probably a bigger achievement than going up

People forget that Scunthorpe finished last season with six straight wins. They've simply carried that form on to this season.
They've only lost four league games since 23rd January. I think they're the real deal, not a flash in the pan.
It's looking like a four horse race for 2 automatic promotion places to me (Scunthorpe, Blades, Bradford and Bolton).

Perhaps 'massively' is over-egging it somewhat, but to my recollection they were miles ahead at one stage and ended up getting automatically promoted by 1 point.

All the same great result of course, but teams who initially fly quite often falter and get caught up to.

I'm not an out-and-out Clough hater looking to belittle his achievements; none of us are in a position to do so, frankly. I'm just trying to point out why people think Scunthorpe will flail a bit.

Jan to end of season form:
W 10
D 7
L 6
37 points from 69
Over a season, not even enough to get into the play-offs, so I'd say TJB has a fair point

People forget that Scunthorpe finished last season with six straight wins. They've simply carried that form on to this season.
They've only lost four league games since 23rd January. I think they're the real deal, not a flash in the pan.
It's looking like a four horse race for 2 automatic promotion places to me (Scunthorpe, Blades, Bradford and Bolton).

I'm not saying they're a flash in the pan, I'm saying that they won't finish in the top 2.

I'll make the same wager to you that I made to BB: A £10 donation to charity.

It's when people start the answer to a question with so that annoys me most.....

I'm not saying they're a flash in the pan, I'm saying that they won't finish in the top 2.

I'll make the same wager to you that I made to BB: A £10 donation to charity.

No thanks for the following reasons:-

1) I'm not saying that they will finish in the top 2. As I said elsewhere, I think it's a 4 horse race and that they will remain one of the four.
2) I rarely bet on outcomes that I don't want to happen. One less place available for us if Scunthorpe finish in the top 2, so I hope they fail.
3) I could get 6-5 on Scunthorpe getting promoted if I did want to bet. Even better odds on them finishing in the top 2.

P.S. I didn't say you said they were "a flash in the pan". Just pointing out that their form last season is an indicator of their longevity.

Last edited:
No thanks for the following reasons:-

1) I'm not saying that they will finish in the top 2. As I said elsewhere, I think it's a 4 horse race and that they will remain one of the four.
2) I rarely bet on outcomes that I don't want to happen. One less place available for us if Scunthorpe finish in the top 2, so I hope they fail.
3) I could get 6-5 on Scunthorpe getting promoted if I did want to bet. Even better odds on them finishing in the top 2.

P.S. I didn't say you said they were "a flash in the pan". Just pointing out that their form last season is an indicator of their longevity.

Entirely fair. It will be interesting to see how they progress, hopefully in our shadow.

Back
Top Bottom