So what are the solutions?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
We are "not where we want to be and have to find solutions".

What would your solutions be? Please try to avoid "sack the lot of'em" type comments, it's not possible!

The loan window has ended and the JTW is 5 games away.

To start the thread I reckon we need to:

1. Play 5 in midfield
2. Play 2 forwards
3. Make 3-5-2 work. This would be a fresh start and mitigate the lack of quality defenders at full back/ central defence.
4. Hatchet at least 2 players by settling their contracts/loan deals now - symbolic and practical.
5 Generally select the most industrious players in front of skilled ones
6. Have the senior players, perhaps the ones in Adkins communications group of 6 chosen players to each apologise to the fans
7. Manager and his coaches to apologise to the fans in the context of a "fresh start"

My team for Barnsley would be:

Long or Howard

Brayford. Edgar. Basham

Freeman , Hammond or Coutts, Baxter. Reed K.Wallace

Sharp. Done

Use Adams in short bursts when the opposition is trying.

Fresh formation, fresh start, something to work on and way different to 4-4-2 which we just don't have the players for.

In January seek a new central defender and play Braford at right wing back.

Footnote: 3-5-2 can be a very solid, safe formation.

1. Drop the deadwood from the squad completely - Collins, Hammond & McEveley (from January)
2. Drop out of form players from the starting XI - Sharp, Adams, Harris
3. Keep players who are performing well in the side - K Wallace, JCR
4. Change formation - 2 holding mids (Coutts, Basham), 2 wide players (JCR, Woolford), Baxter in the hole behind 1 striker (Done)

What happened to all your FACTS? I note you've gone from trusting Hammond because NA did to him being an either/or pick in a week?

• Banned
I think you should manage us WWF. You thought we could get automatic promotion on Monday. What's happened ?

I've said elsewhere I thought Hammond looked stronger last night but I still have a feeling Coutts will emerge as a key player. Maybe Hammond won't fancy staying with us in this environment.

In answer to the OP, the solutions required are deep and wide ranging.

I like the idea of 3:5:2 and most of your players selected.

But, and like our lasses it's a big but, we need a Claude Makelele type.

Nick Montgomery would be perfect for the job in L1 but probably no higher than that.

UTB

That midfield would just give us five players to pass it backwards to three defenders rather than four being able to pass it back to four. Plus Baxter apart, there's very little attacking creativity.

I think it's simple enough though, it's heart and ability that's the issue and can't see a change in tactics changing results. Last night we just went to hoof and rather than being "better" we just weren't as shockingly bad as in the first half

I think he has to try 3-5-2, our fullbacks are becoming one of the biggest liabilities in the current formation.

Wallace and Freeman have been two of our best attacking players this season. Give it a go.

Personally I think we've reached the point where line-ups and formations won't make a blind bit of difference.
Last night was the first game I've missed due to being away but by all accounts we started out with a 'strong' team, and still fucked up spectacularly.

Personally I think we've reached the point where line-ups and formations won't make a blind bit of difference.
Last night was the first game I've missed due to being away but by all accounts we started out with a 'strong' team, and still fucked up spectacularly.

I think we desperately need to seal up the defence (preferably behind a brick wall in a deserted building) as we're leaking goals all over the shop. Even if it means 0-0s. We're getting close to free fall and need to address the slide quickly or we could be in big trouble.

What would your solutions be? Please try to avoid "sack the lot of'em" type comments, it's not possible!

1. Play 5 in midfield
2. Play 2 forwards
3. Make 3-5-2 work. This would be a fresh start and mitigate the lack of quality defenders at full back/ central defence.
4. Hatchet at least 2 players by settling their contracts/loan deals now - symbolic and practical.
6. Have the senior players, perhaps the ones in Adkins communications group of 6 chosen players to each apologise to the fans
7. Manager and his coaches to apologise to the fans in the context of a "fresh start"

Long or Howard

Brayford. Edgar. Basham

Sharp. Done

Fresh formation, fresh start, something to work on and way different to 4-4-2 which we just don't have the players for.

They could try

I think fans are struggling as much as the manager to identify a starting eleven and a formation that would alter our fortunes. It just seems a case of playing the majority of the players who have underperformed all season in a different formation and hoping. Given the backing in January he can address the areas he neglected to address pre season at least to stabilize the season anything more would be a bonus. The major surgery hopefully occurs in June, if NA is the man to oversee that overall remains to be seen. IMO

Agree. This isn't technical. It's about stuff we know nothing about; what's happening behind the scenes.

Formation would be a good change

1. Play 5 in midfield
2. Play 2 forwards

Long or Howard

Brayford. Edgar. Basham

Sharp. Done

Formation change to 3-5-2 is a brilliant idea however I would make a few changes to the lineup ( yes the lineups are similar however I just make a change)

Gk- Long- Howard not good enough. Long's distribution is 10x better which would help to make this formation work.

CB Collins- probably one of the best centre backs we have atm with brayford out.
CB Edgar - obviously a very capable defender.
CB Basham- only until Brayford gets back

RWB - Freeman - we all know he attacks better than he can defend. This fault in his ability would be perfect in this position as he is a wonderful defensive attacker. If not freeman I would pick Flynn in this position. Played a similar role under Clough when we didn't have a suitable RB option.

CM Baxter- he's been fantastic this season compared to others, one of the few star players.

CM Basham- perfect for this position to help defend higher up the pitch.

CM Reed - I feel Hammond isn't good enough atm. Also coutts is a similar player to Basham. Reed is useful as he can spread th ball well and is a bit more attacking than the two already mentioned

LWB Done - has history at his past clubs of playing LB which again makes him perfect as he has the ablity of running with the ball, which will help with counter attacks.

ST Sammon offers a bit of pace hieght and finishing skills

ST Che Adams I think we need to rest sharp for a few games. Adams offers wonderful skill.

1. Play 5 in midfield
2. Play 2 forwards

Long or Howard

Brayford. Edgar. Basham

Sharp. Done

Formation change to 3-5-2 is a brilliant idea however I would make a few changes to the lineup ( yes the lineups are similar however I just make a change)

Gk- Long- Howard not good enough. Long's distribution is 10x better which would help to make this formation work.

CB Collins- probably one of the best centre backs we have atm with brayford out.

RWB - Freeman - we all know he attacks better than he can defend. This fault in his ability would be perfect in this position as he is a wonderful defensive attacker. If not freeman I would pick Flynn in this position. Played a similar role under Clough when we didn't have a suitable RB option.

CM Baxter- he's been fantastic this season compared to others, one of the few star players.

CM Reed - I feel Hammond isn't good enough atm. Also coutts is a similar player to Basham. Reed is useful as he can spread th ball well and is a bit more attacking than the two already mentioned

LWB Done - has history at his past clubs of playing LB which again makes him perfect as he has the ablity of running with the ball, which will help with counter attacks.

ST Che Adams I think we need to rest sharp for a few games. Adams offers wonderful skill.

1. Play 5 in midfield
2. Play 2 forwards

Long or Howard

Brayford. Edgar. Basham

Sharp. Done

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. The solution for me is to more or less clear the lot out.

If you're question is how do we find an improvement within a realistic scenario.....

1. Drop all but Baxter, Adams and Done
2. Get an experienced goalkeeper on loan (anyone)
3. Reinstate Brayford and K. Wallace
4. Bring Kennedy and Calvert-Lewin back from their loans asap
5. Use the best youngsters to make up the rest of the team (yes really!)

Then stick with it and do not under any circumstances select any of the other defenders or midfielders again. Make Sharp and Sammon earn their places back from the bench. They have at least contributed in some way this season and deserve another chance whilst knowing that their performances are currently not good enough.

Install Brayford as captain straight away (& build a side around him & the ex-academy players/other young players).

I do rate Collins but I am assuming his days are numbered after last night.

When Leeds get their new owner (imminently according to the media), Moyes is tipped to take over, leaving Evans without a job. I know he is not most people's cup of tea but I bet he could breathe some fire into our player's bellies even if his job was merely motivation coach.

Adkins is just too nice for the players we have at our club

With a little tweaking I agree that WWF's solution could be a viable option. I have said on another thread that there are possibly problems behind the scenes to which we fans are not privy.

Assuming these can be sorted I would try not to be too hung up on formations. We need to go back to basics - which to me means an organised defence and usiing attacking players as the first line of defence. We are repeatedly beaten by teams who work harder and close us down relentlessly, and I think we need to start playing them at their own game. We have to make room (fitness allowing) for the likes of Flynn, Done and Scougall - in effect forming our first line of defence. Generally we only have one attacker/midfielder closing people down, and they are usually made to look like headless chickens - it needs to be coordinated.

Reluctantly we are not going to have a massive change of personnel until the summer, and I would revert to a 4-1-4-1 which would become 4-1-2-3 when attacking.

Long

Brayford/Freeman Edgar Basham K Wallace/ Harris

Coutts/J Wallace

Flynn Baxter Scougall Done/JCR/Adams

Sammon/Sharp

I would play JCR when Sammon up front and Adams with Sharp - this would allow long ball outlet to Adams if necessary when Sharp is playing. With more pressing up front it should take a little pressure off a dodgy defence hopefully.

On Saturday i'd start by getting Brayford back in (if fit), moving Freeman up to the wing, bring back JCR, drop Sharp for Done or Sammon, play Baxter in the hole, his natural position, and drop Collins for good (sorry but he isnt good enough), bring K Wallace back. So I'd go with.

Long

Brayford
Edgar
Basham
K Wallace

Freeman
Hammond
Reed or Scougs or Coutts
Baxter
JCR

Sammon or Done

The bench would be Sharp, Adams, Harris and the rest kids. As said Collins, and that joker McEverley can sit on their backsides for the rest of the season as they are liabilities.

January - get two big hard man centre backs, a keepr, a hard man for centre midfielder and some PACE - we need pace in this side.

Long term - get rid of all the out of contract players in the summer, bar Baxter who needs a new contract pronto (before he walks for nothing in June). Cut losses with the crocks eg James Wallace, Flo, and try and get shut of anyone left who isnt good enough.

Solution for now is go with 5 in midfield.

ideally:

Howard
Brayford Edgar McGhey Wallace
Basham Hammond
JCR Baxter Adams
Done

I would line

1. Play 5 in midfield
2. Play 2 forwards

Long or Howard

Brayford. Edgar. Basham

Sharp. Done

I would line every player up and kick them in the bollocks and only pick the ones that kick back.

I do worry some of the players dont liike playing at Bramall Lane, the simmering atmosphere has put the wobblers on some of them
Some players cant hack playing under criticism , looks like its our entire defence
We might need some hard nuts who dont get rattled as easily

I do worry some of the players dont liike playing at Bramall Lane, the simmering atmosphere has put the wobblers on some of them
Some players cant hack playing under criticism , looks like its our entire defence
Really ? Looks like they couldnt give a shit to me

Fuck em.

If they can't handle criticism then they are in wrong profession.

Back
Top Bottom