So No Plan B

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladesway

Not a member of the reaction faction
Reaction score
Appears to all intents and purposes we have sacked Clough on a whim. While I understand why he got sacked (he is obstinate, he divides opinion, he doesn't appear to take responsibility for failure) if we really haven't got names lined up or spoken to anyone we really haven't learned from previous mistakes.

Adkins, Parkinson, Ronnie Moore, Alan Lee (insert another name here), I'm sorry its piss poor if we have just gone pulled the trigger once more just because poor old princey poo didn't get his own way, or McCabe decided there was a Y in the day so we should get rid.

This just makes us appear even more trigger happy and ridiculous to the outside world. Why does this matter? Because this is where our next manager is going to come from. No one outside the SUFC bubble can understand what the hell is going on at our club. We finished 5th and have been in 2 cup semi finals, to the watching world we are basket case, up there with Leeds and other ridiculous clubs.

Those thinking Allardyce or some such are off their rockers. Those thinking our pulling power is any bigger than that of Wycombe Wanderers need their heads feeling. We are fast approaching the madhouse if indeed we aren't already there, I worry no self respecting manager is going to come to SUFC unless we offer ridiculous wages and a ridiculous contract length. Lets be honest anything over a 1 year contract is crazy for us.

I have my fingers and just about everything else crossed that we get it right this time but my head tells me we have just repeated the history of Warnock, Blackwell, Wilson etc etc.

Oh good, another manager thread o_O

As you've said, no-one knows exactly what's happened and where we are in the process so although history backs what you're saying let's see what happens.

Appears to all intents and purposes we have sacked Clough on a whim. While I understand why he got sacked (he is obstinate, he divides opinion, he doesn't appear to take responsibility for failure) if we really haven't got names lined up or spoken to anyone we really haven't learned from previous mistakes.

Adkins, Parkinson, Ronnie Moore, Alan Lee (insert another name here), I'm sorry its piss poor if we have just gone pulled the trigger once more just because poor old princey poo didn't get his own way, or McCabe decided there was a Y in the day so we should get rid.

This just makes us appear even more trigger happy and ridiculous to the outside world. Why does this matter? Because this is where our next manager is going to come from. No one outside the SUFC bubble can understand what the hell is going on at our club. We finished 5th and have been in 2 cup semi finals, to the watching world we are basket case, up there with Leeds and other ridiculous clubs.

Those thinking Allardyce or some such are off their rockers. Those thinking our pulling power is any bigger than that of Wycombe Wanderers need their heads feeling. We are fast approaching the madhouse if indeed we aren't already there, I worry no self respecting manager is going to come to SUFC unless we offer ridiculous wages and a ridiculous contract length. Lets be honest anything over a 1 year contract is crazy for us.

I have my fingers and just about everything else crossed that we get it right this time but my head tells me we have just repeated the history of Warnock, Blackwell, Wilson etc etc.
I dont understand the purpose of your post
i see no evidence that clough was sacked on a whim

Every year we are in that division the owners have to pump millions in to keep us running

If a manager is given the resources and wastes it in a squad full of tiny unmotivated bottlers then he deserves everything he gets imo

Oh, come on. Have some faith. I'm pretty sure McCabe has something up his sleeve.

We'll be in the automatic spot come next may. Just you watch.

*takes more pills*

pommpey

We may occasionally be at odds Pommps but one thing we do agree on is how McCabe has utterly fucked this club over. If I didn't know better I smell his stench with Cloughs sacking as well.

If a manager is given the resources and wastes it in a squad full of tiny unmotivated bottlers then he deserves everything he gets imo

I think you are wrong, there Judge.

I don't think we have a team of 'tiny, unmotivated bottlers'. I think they are motivated. I think what they are, above all else, is not playing at the right level. I think the rump of the team are a division below (see Scots Championship) whilst Murphs is a division above, Basham and Done possibly as well and at a push these days Brayford.

As said many times before, the total lack of transparency of what we paid for these players says it all in both Clough's financial restraint, and McCabe's real ambition for Sheffield United.

pommpey

While we are wasting our time trying to find a new manager our competitors are eyeing up their summer targets and approaching potential free agents.............

Agree. They always say play off final teams are at a disadvantage as they are two weeks behind everyone else in terms of planning and recruitment. At this rate we are going to be another 2 weeks behind them!

We've only been manager-less for 4 chuffing days. Relax, enjoy the summer & begin criticism if we're a fortnight from the start of the season & still manager-less.

We either shouldn't be managerless at all or we should have had it stitched up as Clough signed his contract termination. This is back to typical Blades.

I dont understand the purpose of your post
i see no evidence that clough was sacked on a whim

Every year we are in that division the owners have to pump millions in to keep us running

1) We wouldn't have done the video with him in it
2) We would have had someone already walking into the job
3) We wouldn't be getting turned away by people like Bradford City if we had this pre planned
4) We would be looking for better managers not ones who are at best as good as.

It takes time to impress your style and philosophy onto a team. It's also wise to start building your squad as soon as possible not only so you get the best players available but to get them playing together cohesively.

At the moment it appears United are falling behind the other contenders as we muddle around looking for a new manager. I realise it's only been a few days but there's worrying signs that the board are just striking out blind rather than following a plan to ensure a quick transition.

Imo our promotion hopes went up in smoke last pre-season due to a lack of planning. The same could happen this time if we don't get this sorted.

I don't want a plan b, I'm hoping they have a plan a, we deserve nothing but the best and if NC was not it I dearly hope his replacement is A list.

Toward end of season we didnt win many games due to cloughs tactics ie go 1nil up and lets be happy defending. that was cloughs attitude i think he had a team there that was capable of going on to win games by bigger margins but were held back by our team progressing to bigger wins i majoitynof games we need someone with a better game plan than cloughs his idea was lets defend even though we didnt have proper centre backs surely plan A was flawed clough plan roll on plan B whoever it is

I'll tell you what worries me.

If I came up to you and said 'I've got a great investment opportunity in my business' the conversation would probably go something like:

'so how do I see a return?'

'Once we're in the PL, we'll make loads of money. Almost half the clubs are profitable. With my experience and your investment getting into the PL should be a formality.'

'So how long have you been doing this?'

'Ten years plus'

'Wow, so how much have you made so far?'

'Er, I've lost about £75m'

Now the expected response would be 'close the door on your way out'

But it seems it was 'great, I like a gamble, tell you what, I'll supplement your obvious football knowledge by adding an American lawyer and a football hooligan to the board.'

And we're hoping they're going to find us the next Guardiola.

Damn Warnock getting us into the Prem Blackwell for getting us into the Championship Playoff Final, and Wilson for getting us almost promoted but being victim to a welsh sex scandal!
Other than Wilson surely the other 2 could be classed as a success. The 90 point total that Wilson got in his first season was similar to Cloughs performance when he 1st came in but this lasted an entire season!
The choice of Weir was a terrible one but I don't think we can complain too much about the others, I bet there are 30 odd clubs that claim they belong in the premier league for that I say top 10 in the Championship would be performing respectively anything less to be considered a bit of a failure.

I'll tell you what worries me.

If I came up to you and said 'I've got a great investment opportunity in my business' the conversation would probably go something like:

'so how do I see a return?'

'Once we're in the PL, we'll make loads of money. Almost half the clubs are profitable. With my experience and your investment getting into the PL should be a formality.'

'So how long have you been doing this?'

'Ten years plus'

'Wow, so how much have you made so far?'

'Er, I've lost about £75m'

Now the expected response would be 'close the door on your way out'

But it seems it was 'great, I like a gamble, tell you what, I'll supplement your obvious football knowledge by adding an American lawyer and a football hooligan to the board.'

And we're hoping they're going to find us the next Guardiola.

Warmer. You're getting warmer ...

pommpey

We either shouldn't be managerless at all or we should have had it stitched up as Clough signed his contract termination. This is back to typical Blades.

If only football was that simple. Only a handful of people know what happened, so getting your knickers in a twist about why we haven't got a new manager 96 hours after our last one left seems a bit (this isn't an attack on you by the way!) childlike.

Like I say, just take it easy & enjoy your summer. Let the shit hit the fan if we don't recruit 'in time' for the new season.

I, like many others, was very surprised we sacked Clough. Although I shared the concerns of others regarding his tactics, transfer dealing and (lack of) man management, I thought he deserved one more season to get it right.

Optimistically, I thought the board must have already got someone waiting in the wings given the abrupt nature of events. Yet, alas, it seems this is not the case. So now we've been turned down by Warburton (who I thought was a good choice) and now Parkinson (who I think is an uninspiring choice to say the least). I can only hope now that someone like Nigel Adkins gets the job.

What a dread is the proposed dream team of Morgs and Warnock - to me that would be like stepping back into the Dark Ages, even though I thought Warnock was good for us at the time.

Here's hoping we end up making a good choice or at least a lucky one.

Damn Warnock getting us into the Prem Blackwell for getting us into the Championship Playoff Final, and Wilson for getting us almost promoted but being victim to a welsh sex scandal!
Other than Wilson surely the other 2 could be classed as a success. The 90 point total that Wilson got in his first season was similar to Cloughs performance when he 1st came in but this lasted an entire season!
The choice of Weir was a terrible one but I don't think we can complain too much about the others, I bet there are 30 odd clubs that claim they belong in the premier league for that I say top 10 in the Championship would be performing respectively anything less to be considered a bit of a failure.

I was saying that firing them was the mistake.

1) We wouldn't have done the video with him in it
2) We would have had someone already walking into the job
3) We wouldn't be getting turned away by people like Bradford City if we had this pre planned
4) We would be looking for better managers not ones who are at best as good as.
I dont quite see the importance of some stupid promotional video when compared with the financial implications of another year floundering around in lg 1

2 )bit mercenary isnt it ? Especially from someone always bemoaning the fact no manager will come if we keep sacking them
also i dont think you are allowed to do that and also im oretty sure they were giving him a chance to put his side in their meeting

He obviously came accross as well as he does on tv and got sacked

3)we are getting beat by teams worse than bradford so why not get knocked back legally aproaching their manager ,imagine if we had done it your way and gone in for him while clough was still in the job

4)i havent seem the official list of our targets you obviously have
mind sharing it ?

I, like many others, was very surprised we sacked Clough. Although I shared the concerns of others regarding his tactics, transfer dealing and (lack of) man management, I thought he would have had one more season to endure

Optimistically, I thought the board must have already got someone waiting in the wings given the abrupt nature of events. Yet, alas, it seems this is not the case. So now we've been turned down by Warburton (who I thought was a good choice) and now Parkinson (who I think is an uninspiring choice to say the least). I can only hope now that someone like Nigel Adkins gets the job.

What a dread is the proposed dream team of Morgs and Warnock - to me that would be like stepping back into the Dark Ages, even though I thought Warnock was good for us at the time.

Here's hoping we end up making a good choice or at least a lucky one.

Changed it for you , sounds much better

Those thinking our pulling power is any bigger than that of Wycombe Wanderers need their heads feeling

:(
Whats the 'shakes head in disbelief' emotocon or whatever they're called.

And you are wrong in your main premise as well.
They haven't got a plan A :(
They should have been planning this replacement weeks ago when it was clear he was failing badly in every aspect of his management :(

I dont quite see the importance of some stupid promotional video when compared with the financial implications of another year floundering around in lg 1

2 )bit mercenary isnt it ? Especially from someone always bemoaning the fact no manager will come if we keep sacking them
also i dont think you are allowed to do that and also im oretty sure they were giving him a chance to put his side in their meeting

He obviously came accross as well as he does on tv and got sacked

3)we are getting beat by teams worse than bradford so why not get knocked back legally aproaching their manager ,imagine if we had done it your way and gone in for him while clough was still in the job

4)i havent seem the official list of our targets you obviously have
mind sharing it ?

Are you saying you disagree? You're not making yourself clear :)

Toward end of season we didnt win many games due to cloughs tactics ie go 1nil up and lets be happy defending. that was cloughs attitude i think he had a team there that was capable of going on to win games by bigger margins but were held back by our team progressing to bigger wins i majoitynof games we need someone with a better game plan than cloughs his idea was lets defend even though we didnt have proper centre backs surely plan A was flawed clough plan roll on plan B whoever it is
Full stop.

Back
Top Bottom