Sitting in the home stand at away games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tynemouth Blade

International Pan Fighting Judge at the EU
Reaction score
OK, own up who's done it?
I have on quite a few occasions!
I know a few did it at Scunthorpe and with the difficulties in getting tickets for some like me it's the only option, although having a Newcastle-upon-Tyne postal address helps :D
I remember a 3-3 draw at Oldham many years ago and being right in the middle of their main stand (at the invitation of one of their sponsors) and jumping up when we scored and subsequently getting the piss taken out of me when they did :(
Hartlepool, when Ched scored the winner, got a bit hairy as all their knuckle draggers tried to get at the Blades! :eek:
Grimsby pre-season.....
Next one for me.....?????

Sat in scunny stand last week had a few people moaning just told them to fuck off because am not hurting owt!! Sat in piggy s north stand a few times.

Work for the current league sponsors, so if I want to see us away i'll be in the home end as it makes sense financially to get free tickets in the home end, shame I don't adhere to financial sensibility.

Loads of times, notably that final game at Palace a few years ago when we had a sniff of automatic promotion. And most scarily at Millwall at the old ground right into the middle of their 'top boys' of the time.

Reactions: Dkc
Sat in the home end at Hull once and got talking to the guy sat next to me. I had to confess when the conversation turned to Hull City's deficiencies and he realised I had little to no knowledge of their club or players.

I sat in the Palace end for the 1-1 draw in 2000. Marcus Bent put us ahead, but Blades' favourite Clinton Morrison equalised with a very late goal from an Ashley Cole cross. I could not resist standing up when we scored and was unsurprised by the hostile response I received!

Sat in scunny stand last week had a few people moaning just told them to fuck off because am not hurting owt!! Sat in piggy s north stand a few times.

How did you give away that you were a blade?

I did it when we played Arsenal at Highbury in 1999, that was grim.

I've also been on the away end at a home game, against Wigan when we went down. Another eventful day.

I've sat in every stand at Elland Road over the years.

Surprisingly no problems on the kop but it did once get a bit hairy in the expensive seats in the west stand.

Id never do it. Not for any moral reasons mainly as i cant trust myself to keep incognito. Remember at chesterfield game we lost 3-2, im sure their were some utd fans in home end because they never clapped chesterfield subs & were subdued when they scored. But they kept their cover from stewards while others got chucked out

I might be wrong but i think i remember from a derby beamback once seeing stewards/police running having to grab 1 of our fans out of the Wednesday Kop. Possible for his own health

I've done it a couple of times. Once at the old Baseball Ground (Derby County). I can't really remember much of the game as I was only young, but I do remember jumping up when we scored - not to my Dad's delight.

I also regularly used to do it when we played Port Vale away, but that was mainly because my Grandad lived near there and we would sit in the family stand. It was a bit less rowdy for him than the away end!

Sitting in an away end reminds me of being on holiday and watching the Blades on telly. You get this immense pride and desire to be at home and support the boys.

Sat in home stand several times at Forest ground. The sweetest was when we won 5-2 and Lake scored a screamer ( have I got that right Silent?)
We sat in away end at Exeter, have sat with away supporters at Watford too, but the worst place has got to be Chesterfield. They really do not like Blades in their stands.

several times over the years inc last season at Chesterfield. We had just sat down when Baptiste scored after 5 mins

I did it when we played Arsenal at Highbury in 1999, that was grim.

I've also been on the away end at a home game, against Wigan when we went down. Another eventful day.
Of all the games you could've sat on the away end for at the Lane!

Of all the games you could've sat on the away end for at the Lane!

Indeed. I got slung out after about 15 minutes and walked up to London Road. Watched the game in some pub but the weather was bad and the signal kept going. Every now and then it would clear enough for us to see Carlos Tevez. I had a ticket for the home section n' all.

Been on pigs kop, north and south stand, the kop one was when they played chezzy, geoff salmons scored in a 3.3 game, lovely winger,
North stand when they played pompey 0-0 I got outed, loads of gobbing but no grief.
only been to watch the Blades there once 1979 :(.
West brom when we won 1.3 1995 got outed but no bother.
obviously that was when I was a young un wouldnt bother now, no ticket no show.

Work for the current league sponsors, so if I want to see us away i'll be in the home end as it makes sense financially to get free tickets in the home end, shame I don't adhere to financial sensibility.

What's that you say Gin&Juice you're able to get free tickets for us all? Well that's very good of you, much appreciated.

The worst was the 3-3 draw with Boro in the promotion season under Bassett. It was all looking good at 3-1 up but Comfort (born again Christian) and Slaven (Born again Frankenstein) scored late. I was standing on the Holgate End and it was a nasty experience, the Boro boys were talking about sending their 'scouts' out to spot groups of United fans wearing the 'steward' shirts (luminous away top) so they could sort us out. I didn't live that far away and their A19 crew were out in force that day. Same season stood on the Fulwell end at Sunderland and somehow stayed still when we equalised. Showing my age as neither ground exists today. Palace away (0-0) was fine, as was the best ever (3-1 at the sty) on Bobby Davison night.

Have family friends who are West Brom fans so sat in their home end a few times, most notably for opening day 1989 when we ran rampant and won 3-0. Was great fun admiring the away end resplendent in luminous yellow and going barmy. West Brom fans round us were furious at their teams performance but really impressed with Deane and Agana.

I also remember a lot of Blades going in the away end at the Lane when we played Norwich on the last day in 1991 (the roof off the Kop match). Mainly because it was so packed trying to get in anywhere else. One of our more dodgy reported attendance figures that day...

7Rbp1.gif

Often at Norwich with my Norwich mate from my boarding school. For home games he would sit with me in John St or in South Stand. We have not played against Norwich since 2010-11

For the match at L**ds in April 1990 an ex-workmate who was a L**ds season ticket holder got me a ticket to sit near him. Didn't enjoy the match. Borrowed his season ticket for the match in October 1991. I wanted to leave the ground when we were 4 down but I thought it would be too obvious for the L**ds fans if I had left. Hoyland, Agana and Bradders pulled the goals back and it was 4-3 with 10 mins left. My heart was beating fast but we didn't score any further goals!

My dad and I sat next to Brian Moore (the commentator) behind the directors box when we drew 1-1 at West Ham in Dec 1991 (Gayle sent off). We cheered when Deane gave us the lead!

Often at Norwich with my Norwich mate from my boarding school. For home games he would sit with me in John St or in South Stand. We have not played against Norwich since 2010-11

For the match at L**ds in April 1990 an ex-workmate who was a L**ds season ticket holder got me a ticket to sit near him. Didn't enjoy the match. Borrowed his season ticket for the match in October 1991. I wanted to leave the ground when we were 4 down but I thought it would be too obvious for the L**ds fans if I had left. Hoyland, Agana and Bradders pulled the goals back and it was 4-3 with 10 mins left. My heart was beating fast but we didn't score any further goals!

My dad and I sat next to Brian Moore (the commentator) behind the directors box when we drew 1-1 at West Ham in Dec 1991 (Gayle sent off). We cheered when Deane gave us the lead!

Wasn't that for squaring up to a team-mate?

Id never do it. Not for any moral reasons mainly as i cant trust myself to keep incognito. Remember at chesterfield game we lost 3-2, im sure their were some utd fans in home end because they never clapped chesterfield subs & were subdued when they scored. But they kept their cover from stewards while others got chucked out

I might be wrong but i think i remember from a derby beamback once seeing stewards/police running having to grab 1 of our fans out of the Wednesday Kop. Possible for his own health

I was one of them at Chesterfield! This was after I managed to get through their rigorous 'security' checks when purchasing tickets......

Me : Hello, I'd like to buy a ticket for the Chesterfield v Sheffield Utd game please.

Ticket Office Lady : Certainly, could I have your postcode please?

Me : S13.......

TOL : You're not a Sheffield Utd supporter are you?

Me : No

TOL : Ok, that will be £25*

* or however much the ticket was.

I sat with the Chessy fans again last season when we won 3-0 as my mate and his family are chessy season ticket holders and there was one spare. It was hard to stay quiet as we cruised into a 3 nil lead but it was amusing to hear their fans complaining about their own team.

Who went to Luton on Boxing Day 1990 when they had the ban on away supporters due to that idiot chairman they had at the time? Deano scored the only goal of the game, and if you look on the tv coverage on YouTube, there must be at least 500 blades in the stand behind the goal celebrating!

As for going in the home stand, Mansfield in the cup and Everton away (when Marwood scored the winner) come to mind for me...

Back
Top Bottom