Simple, really?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HodgysBrokenThumb

Reaction score
'Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.' I heard this saying of Cruyff the other day, and it set me thinking about United's recent run. In the last few matches, it has looked very simple - the system 3-5-2 is clear, the players seem to understand what they are expected to do, we have players who are suited to their role in the system, and other squad players who can just about cover all positions, and the players seem to be playing as a team.
So, has CW found the secret of success, or has he just been lucky? If teams begin to rumble our system and begin to counter it, do we have a Plan B? And is he capable of dealing with the next disaster which always seems to happen to SUFC when things are going well? It is too early to tell, I guess, but for the moment it is a good feeling to leave the management team to worry about the details, and for us to look forward to enjoying the next 90 minutes of 'simple' football.

Wilder has mixed things up once after a poor start and we haven't looked back, I fully expect he will do it again to good effect should the need arise. I don't for one second think that 3-5-2 is the system he wanted us to play but it is really doing the trick so he won't change it until he has to. I still see us going back to 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 at some point but when will depend on
a) how long we stay unbeaten and b) who else we can bring in along the way to improve the team.

We do change things even on this run.Quite a few games we have switched to 4 at the back during games.We did it at Bradford,Basham moved into midfield as we attempted to get back to 3-3 infact we finished the game with two at the back which our manager has stated he wasn't
happy about.

We do change things even on this run.Quite a few games we have switched to 4 at the back during games.We did it at Bradford,Basham moved into midfield as we attempted to get back to 3-3 infact we finished the game with two at the back which our manager has stated he wasn't
happy about.

True that we change a fair bit during games, I was referring more to the preferred or starting formation, but you are spot on and it further proves the point that CW knows his onions.

The big thing for me is 3-5-2 allows us to control midfield. I always thought we played better with 5 in the middle under na and nc.
The problem there was they found the extra man by playing 1 up top. Now CW has sorted the center half problem, and got players that are up for it, we can play 3 at the back instead and keep 2 up top.
3-5-2 is very flexible as said earlier.

The big thing for me is 3-5-2 allows us to control midfield. I always thought we played better with 5 in the middle under na and nc.
The problem there was they found the extra man by playing 1 up top. Now CW has sorted the center half problem, and got players that are up for it, we can play 3 at the back instead and keep 2 up top.

Think tufty be getting loadsa advice and tactics off his uncle mick the legend fitzpatrick

Fair point about the Bradford game. I was thinking more of if teams set up to cancel out our system, rather than a response to playing well but being a goal down. I guess I was scarred for life by the Weir era - after the first match, teams marked our back 4, and when Long had a goal kick or the ball in his hand, he was clearly under orders to roll it to a defender. Plan B never emerged, and it was terrifying watching our defenders trying not to lose possession. After 10 games, Weir looked as much of a wreck as the rest of us, but there was no change of system. Such things stay with you.

I think there were glimpses of the 352 starting to work under Adkins last season but we still lacked mobility in midfield and quality at centre half meaning we could control games but still get picked off on the break (think Rochdale away, dominated first half then blew it in the 2nd). Also, Done at LWB was a problem. Lafferty is no world-beater but gives us a better balance there. Improving Coutts has been a big thing too. We’ve got good ball players in midfield who are also doing their bit defensively.

Yesterday's match told us quite a lot about CW. The football did not look simple, and the tactical decisions were more apparent. On how well the decisions went:
1. Only 1 fully-fit striker, big problem, decides to play Scougall, I am worried. After 5 minutes, Scougall scores. Wilder 1, me 0
2. MK Dons begin to dominate in midfield, Basham is moved into midfield, I worry the defence won't cope, opposition don't have another serious attack. Half-time, Wilder 2, me 0
3. Our defence is opened up, they score. Wilder 2, me 1
4. Scougall creates a goal for Billy. Wilder 3, me 1
5. Their right-back threatens twice, Wilder puts Fleck out there to mark him. I worry we have moved our best player out of position. Right-back is not seen again. Wilder 4, me 1
It was not pretty, we had to scrap, I must try to worry less.
Has Bergenblade stopped posting on here? I used to enjoy reading his analysis.

I think Tufty would tell you all, if asked, not to prattle on about systems and formations and that it's all about having good players. You'd be "doing his head in".

He'd be right....

I think Tufty would tell you all, if asked, not to prattle on about systems and formations and that it's all about having good players. You'd be "doing his head in".

He'd be right....
But as yesterday showed, we don't have the best players in the league, so you need tactics and hard work. It's easy if you have Messi and Ronaldo up front.

He'd be right....

I agree to a point but recently we have seen a manager try things and not afraid to make big decision (even players he has brought in such as Lavery and Hussey but neither are starting - the latter was taken out quickly).

I am kind of with you Pinchy in that too much is made of systems and formations and things can be over analysed to death (although do enjoy Bergen's excellent analysis) and think basic stuff like tackling, passing, shooting and just sheer perspiration often are bigger factors to decide games of football.

Yesterday though I saw the subtle changes in tactics, where players played and decisions that helped restrict a very decent MK side (will be around top 6 I feel despite bad start) to only one shot on goal after the early effort (they scored from it of coure) in almost 85 minutes of football. The Fleck move was a great example of shoring up an area we needed protection. The Basham move was a bold one as we were winning at this time and he could have just left it.

We seem to have a management team (credit to Knill who has been a manager in his own right) who are thinking and adpating even in game. We simply did not have that last season.

The main thing for me though remains the desire of players to run more, win tackles and pick up loose balls. Those are all things Wilder says should be a given but the fact we are doing them and much better than last season is a big factor in the unbeaten run.

Said it elsewhere but in Wilder we have a manager who is getting the most out of what he has. The most talented side in the league? Probably not. But with the right management and leadership Wilder is extracting that additional 5% that is the difference between winning and losing. He has got a system that has Billy scoring because he is creating chances. It may sound simple but many previous managers couldn't do it.

Also, there is a pride in playing for the shirt again. This again doesn't sound like much but it is a key component to getting that additional 5% out of players.

No team wins anything these days without fitness and team spirit. The key to success at any level is players working hard for one another. They can't do that if they're not fit enough and they won't do that without real team spirit.
'Tactics' make the difference when you've got two teams of similar ability both working hard.

happy about.

I didn't go to Bradford so i'll take your word for the 2 at the back.
We effectively did that chasing the Fleet wood game also - with Hussey and Freeman pushing way up, leaving JOC and ELL as a back 2.
When chasing a game it's a good thing - might as well take a chance and lose by 2 - at the moment, at this level, it's paying off.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom