Signing a full back is important

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
Obviously a centre half is the priority but we shouldn't be neglecting the full back area. We could really do with bringing one in, ideally a left back who's good going forward and OK defensively. Probably a loan.

Our pitch is narrow and despite seemingly completing our recruitment in wide areas with Lavery, we have no conventional, chalk on the boots type of winger who will always offer width, and Wilder seems to want to play with them quite narrow anyway. There are going to be games where we struggle to break teams down - a lot of games going on what we've seen so far, because we won't always be good enough to penetrate through the middle, we're not too strong at set pieces and I doubt we have the personnel to regularly create opportunities through an effective pressing game.

It's alright saying 'the full backs will give us width' but if they're not good players, they're not going to help your attacking game too much. Maybe Hussey can be effective going forward but it comes at the cost of having a defensive liability at LB on the evidence so far. Whilst I'm more comfortable with Freeman defensively, he's not the best in that department either, and if we're going to be defensively vulnerable in the full back positions I'd want at least one who offers a lot going forward - and I'm thinking about width and pace more than good deliveries.

A full back shouldn't just be seen as a bonus signing. Nor should a midfielder by the way - a couple of decent performances from Coutts doesn't change that, it was never his type we needed to sign anyway.

Who'd be happy going until January with Freeman and Hussey at full back? Not me.

Last edited:

Obviously a centre half is the priority but we shouldn't be neglecting the full back area. We could really do with bringing one in, ideally a left back who's good going forward and OK defensively. Probably a loan.

Our pitch is narrow and despite seemingly completing our recruitment in wide areas with Lavery, we have no conventional, chalk on the boots type of winger who will always offer width, and Wilder seems to want to play with them quite narrow anyway. There are going to be games where we struggle to break teams down - a lot of games going on what we've seen so far, because we won't always be good enough to penetrate through the middle, we're not too strong at set pieces and I doubt we have the personnel to regularly create opportunities through an effective pressing game.

It's alright saying 'the full backs will give us width' but if they're not good players, they're not going to help your attacking game too much. Maybe Hussey can be effective going forward but it comes at the cost of having a defensive liability at LB on the evidence so far. Whilst I'm more comfortable with Freeman defensively, he's not the best in that department either, and if we're going to be defensively vulnerable in the full back positions I'd want at least one who offers a lot going forward - and I'm thinking about width and pace more than good deliveries.

A full back shouldn't just be seen as a bonus signing. Nor should a midfielder by the way - a couple of decent performances from Coutts doesn't change that, it was never his type we needed to sign anyway.

Who'd be happy going until January with Freeman and Hussey at full back? Not me.
Given Saturday's performance it will probably be freeman and o'connell at RB and LB but I've been wrong before hope this is not one of those times

• Banned
With a winger apparently coming in that would negate the need to have more from an attacking point of view at full back.

But it changes nothing from a defensive point of view. We'll still be vulnerable.

Maybe O'Connell could do a good job at LB but we brought him in and spent a bit on him to play CB, that's his only position long term and I doubt we can rely on Wright or Wilson to be consistently solid until January.

I agree. I've never known our squad have so few injuries (well done medical team by the way).

It would only take a couple of injuries to defenders and we could be down to the bare bones until January.

First choice centre back and left back both required

• Banned
Well it appears that we can forget about signing a full back or even a midfielder - unbelievable.

This winger better be bloody good.

I agree.

I've never known our squad have so few injuries (well done medical team by the way).

It would only take a couple of injuries to defenders and we could be down to the bare bones until January.

FUCKING HELL !

you've done for 'em now.

You can't go saying things like that ! This is the unluckiest Club in Europe.

I agree. Think we need someone Capable of playing both fullback positions. If we don't sign a full back tomorrow it'll be interesting to see who plays LB on Sunday. Hussey did OK but maybe not enough. However, I think There's something IN Coutts now aslong as he continues to grow his bollox.

Freeman's been decent of late aswell and to be honest it only took Demarai Gray 20mins to swap wing and never return haha. He's got abit of aggression in him now and seems to have gained some strength. Got a bit of hunger about him. This to me shows a Wilder may be in his head.

Back
Top Bottom