Sheffield United Win At Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So this means it'll be 7/8 years at least before the senior side wins at Wembley... that's assuming we haven't sold these kids to Fleetwood for £10 and a pack of pork scratchings combined!

Can I just say that its been an incredible achievement for these boys and an incredible experience. This is a national competition open to primary schools nationwide.

This wasn't an Blades Academy side that was playing.

Norton Free Primary is a very small school with just one class per year so they had very limited numbers to choose from. They competed against 41 other schools at the end of November at Shirecliffe in conjucture with Sheffield United Community Trust. After winning the Shirecliffe competition I travelled over to watch them represent Sheffield United at the Northern Area Finals against 13 other primary schools representing other Northern League 1 Clubs in March. As you can imagine schools in areas such as Bury, Rochdale, Oldham have unearthed some fair players in the past. I may be biased but they outplayed every team in a 7 team group (top two qualified for the semis) bar Shrewsbury, where they weren't at their best, but remained unbeaten and conceded none.. They met everyone's favourites to win, Blackpool in the semi final and drew 1-1. Our keeper was injured with two minutes remaining and our centre forward went in goal and saved every Blackpool penalty. We then deservedly beat Crewe Alex 3-1 in the final. It was terrific character shown by the boys with a chance to play on the Wembley Turf before the League 1 Cup Final on offer.

At the weekend, the boys even had to endure spending Saturday night in the Holiday Inn on Wembley Way with a load of sad looking people in blue and white shirts. It was particular nice to see that Tommy Craig with a face like a wet lettuce.

The Club really looked after them. On Sunday morning, after demolishing breakfast, I gave them best wishes in the hotel lobby amongst the Wednesday fans checking out with an almighty 'We Are Blades'. They then had an access all areas tour of Wembley stadium before emerging onto the pitch to play Peterborough United. 1-0 was flattering to Posh, we played with a quick tempo and dominated from the beginning to the end, but their keeper made three or four excellent saves. I coached Mackenzie (the goalscorer) through the U7s and U8s at Greenhill, and that strike was with his weaker foot. I've said I'm biased and I'm proud of it, it was my lad who laid it into his path. A goal to grace any Cup Final.

To see your boy, United born and bred, be Captain and lead a Sheffield United team out at Wembley, to see him climb the stairs at Wembley and walk along that walkway of the Royal Box, and to lift the Cup, nothing will ever better that.

Stuff of dreams,....... well yes to be honest.

Night before...Champions League Cup Final Hotel Lobby
CjkQSfuXIAAdD_c.jpg

Pre-Match Breakfast
CjnBRV8XEAA-8Ts.jpg

Getting Ready
Cjn5TyhW0AAutpR.jpg

Official Teamsheet
IMG_20160530_0002.jpg
During the Game.
CjoBesTXEAAa34J.jpg

Afterwards
CjpENqTWYAEFJOY.jpg

Well done son
13330954_833044196797626_9127107099793092612_n.jpg

Can I just say that its been an incredible achievement for these boys and an incredible experience. This is a national competition open to primary schools nationwide.

This wasn't an Blades Academy side that was playing.

Norton Free Primary is a very small school with just one class per year so they had very limited numbers to choose from. They competed against 41 other schools at the end of November at Shirecliffe in conjucture with Sheffield United Community Trust. After winning the Shirecliffe competition I travelled over to watch them represent Sheffield United at the Northern Area Finals against 13 other primary schools representing other Northern League 1 Clubs in March. As you can imagine schools in areas such as Bury, Rochdale, Oldham have unearthed some fair players in the past. I may be biased but they outplayed every team in a 7 team group (top two qualified for the semis) bar Shrewsbury, where they weren't at their best, but remained unbeaten and conceded none.. They met everyone's favourites to win, Blackpool in the semi final and drew 1-1. Our keeper was injured with two minutes remaining and our centre forward went in goal and saved every Blackpool penalty. We then deservedly beat Crewe Alex 3-1 in the final. It was terrific character shown by the boys with a chance to play on the Wembley Turf before the League 1 Cup Final on offer.

At the weekend, the boys even had to endure spending Saturday night in the Holiday Inn on Wembley Way with a load of sad looking people in blue and white shirts. It was particular nice to see that Tommy Craig with a face like a wet lettuce.

The Club really looked after them. On Sunday morning, after demolishing breakfast, I gave them best wishes in the hotel lobby amongst the Wednesday fans checking out with an almighty 'We Are Blades'. They then had an access all areas tour of Wembley stadium before emerging onto the pitch to play Peterborough United. 1-0 was flattering to Posh, we played with a quick tempo and dominated from the beginning to the end, but their keeper made three or four excellent saves. I coached Mackenzie (the goalscorer) through the U7s and U8s at Greenhill, and that strike was with his weaker foot. I've said I'm biased and I'm proud of it, it was my lad who laid it into his path. A goal to grace any Cup Final.

To see your boy, United born and bred, be Captain and lead a Sheffield United team out at Wembley, to see him climb the stairs at Wembley and walk along that walkway of the Royal Box, and to lift the Cup, nothing will ever better that.

Stuff of dreams,....... well yes to be honest.

Night before...Champions League Cup Final Hotel Lobby
View attachment 17753

Pre-Match Breakfast
View attachment 17754

Getting Ready
View attachment 17756

Official Teamsheet
View attachment 17759
During the Game.
View attachment 17757

Afterwards
View attachment 17758

Well done son
View attachment 17760
Fantastic stuff, can't begin to imagine how proud you must be.

Well done to all concerned and even sweeter that you were able to see the Pig fans at their lowest! Top effort!

Re Tommy Craig, the actor not footballer, I met him by fluke once at Sheffield Train Station. I never watched Coronation Street and I was talking to a West Ham fan about United and West Ham etc. This was in the late 90.s way before Tevez. Anyway, just as I'm chatting about United this ginger bloke interrupts and insults United. I can't remember what I said back to him but we did have a bit of a conversation which was more pleasant and I ended the conversation with "I'm sure I recognise you from somewhere"?! I can't remember his response and it was a genuine question as opposed to a wind up and I'm certain he didn't say I'm from Coronation Street! It was only years later that I realised who he was! Sorry that the story isn't more interesting, but there you go!

Mackenzie Maltby is not at our Academy, hes at the other side of the City.

Yes, he is Treeton, but I'm not going to hold that against him. He's a good lad. I could have added that two of the lads are at our Academy, but I honestly didn't want to bang that drum. After all, they're only 10 and 11 year olds.

It's about a group of young primary school lads who've grown up together, play every game with a smile on their face, and have been proud to represent the school and the Blades on an incredible journey. We had a couple of lads who were only 10, (Y5) and one lad who doesn't play football for anyone, and all them played a part in what turned out to be an unbelievable success.

Their attitude has been spot on from day one, (although I wasn't invited to the party on the coach on the way back Sunday evening). I'm told, it was rocking. :)

Their conduct on and off the pitch has been excellent. When they beat Crewe (at Crewe) to seal their place at Wembley, they took the time to console the Crewe lads who were obviously upset. They didn't gloat or hold excessive celebrations, ...well not until they hit the changing rooms :). Again, I'm told the coach was rocking.

I would just like to say to everyone on the forum who has posted or sent messages, thank you, very much appreciated.

To the boys at SUFC Community (especially Rob Jenkinson, for being with the lads through it all) to Toddy for tweets of support, and to the coaches at Shirecliffe, thank you for your messages too. The lads really appreciated it.

Big thank you also to our teachers at Norton Free, they know who they are, (Mr H, Mr T and Smithyrinho) without their help, time and enthusiasm, we wouldn't have had the opportunity.

To the group of Wednesday fans in the hotel lobby Sunday morning. Fair play to you, for wishing the lads all the best.

To the Sheffield Star, thanks for nothing, simply weren't interested.

To everyone who came down to support the lads, brilliant.

To the little'un. First United Captain to lift the Cup at Wembley for 91 years ;), congrats on your goal of the tournament award, and your penalty saves against Blackpool in the semi .

Finally, to the lads themselves, without sounding too mental.....you did yourselves proud,....... nobody can ever take that way from you. UTB

Yes, he is Treeton, but I'm not going to hold that against him. He's a good lad. I could have added that two of the lads are at our Academy, but I honestly didn't want to bang that drum. After all, they're only 10 and 11 year olds.

It's about a group of young primary school lads who've grown up together, play every game with a smile on their face, and have been proud to represent the school and the Blades on an incredible journey. We had a couple of lads who were only 10, (Y5) and one lad who doesn't play football for anyone, and all them played a part in what turned out to be an unbelievable success.

Their attitude has been spot on from day one, (although I wasn't invited to the party on the coach on the way back Sunday evening). I'm told, it was rocking. :)

Their conduct on and off the pitch has been excellent. When they beat Crewe (at Crewe) to seal their place at Wembley, they took the time to console the Crewe lads who were obviously upset. They didn't gloat or hold excessive celebrations, ...well not until they hit the changing rooms :). Again, I'm told the coach was rocking.

I would just like to say to everyone on the forum who has posted or sent messages, thank you, very much appreciated.

To the boys at SUFC Community (especially Rob Jenkinson, for being with the lads through it all) to Toddy for tweets of support, and to the coaches at Shirecliffe, thank you for your messages too. The lads really appreciated it.

Big thank you also to our teachers at Norton Free, they know who they are, (Mr H, Mr T and Smithyrinho) without their help, time and enthusiasm, we wouldn't have had the opportunity.

To the group of Wednesday fans in the hotel lobby Sunday morning. Fair play to you, for wishing the lads all the best.

To the Sheffield Star, thanks for nothing, simply weren't interested.

To everyone who came down to support the lads, brilliant.

To the little'un. First United Captain to lift the Cup at Wembley for 91 years ;), congrats on your goal of the tournament award, and your penalty saves against Blackpool in the semi .

Finally, to the lads themselves, without sounding too mental.....you did yourselves proud,....... nobody can ever take that way from you. UTB
Absolutely fantastic mate, how proud you must be.

I will keep an eye out for your lad, in the coming years, you`ll find me in all weathers watching the Academy games!

I've seen this goal about 10 times today, and then it dawned....
A red and white striped player wearing number seven lays off a sublime pass which gives a player wearing number ten space for a brilliant shot that crashes an unstoppable shot into the net..
Blades of a certain age, will know which which two players used to did this interchange for each other on a regular basis!
Very well done lads.

I've seen this goal about 10 times today, and then it dawned....
A red and white striped player wearing number seven lays off a sublime pass which gives a player wearing number ten space for a brilliant shot that crashes an unstoppable shot into the net..
Blades of a certain age, will know which which two players used to did this interchange for each other on a regular basis!
Very well done lads.

There's a goal somewhere in the archives of TC playing for England against Wales. Receives the ball and with his left foot hammers it in the top corner. Very similar to young Mackenzie Maltby. Can't give higher praise. Well done to all.

Back
Top Bottom