Sheffield United v Oldham Athletic, 2nd January 1988

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nashik Blade

Reaction score
This was the date, the date I saw my first Blades game. I had wanted to go since I was 5 yrs old and finally at the age of 7 my dad took me. Little did I know that this would be a great education into being a supporter of Sheffield United...... the score line SUFC 0-5 OAFC!

I was wondering has anyone else seen a worst scoreline in their first match?

Since this day I have supported Blades from all over the world, London, Kisumu (Kenya), Bujumubra (Burundi), Kabul, Boston and finally for the last 5 years in Nashik (India), and back home now in Sheffield. In fact this coming season will be my first full season in Sheffield since 2004 and I. CAN NOT. WAIT!!!!

UTB

Can't quite top that one, although my first on April 25th 1997 was a 2-4 home defeat to West Brom. One particular highlight was Alan Kelly trying to take on the WBA front three before falling onto his arse for their 3rd goal.

From then on I was hooked.

Can't quite top that one, although my first on April 25th 1997 was a 2-4 home defeat to West Brom. One particular highlight was Alan Kelly trying to take on the WBA front three before falling onto his arse for their 3rd goal.

From then on I was hooked.

I think that was the only match we left early out of disgust (had to leave one other because of another commitment).

Did we go 0-3 down early in that one? I think I was there sat on the Bramall Lane upper tier. We had to watch Hughes do his stupid dance in front of all the gloating Baggies fans. My dad walked into a lappost on the march back to the car, he was ranting so much and not looking where he was going. The only amausing part of a particularly rubbish afternoon.

This was the date, the date I saw my first Blades game. I had wanted to go since I was 5 yrs old and finally at the age of 7 my dad took me. Little did I know that this would be a great education into being a supporter of Sheffield United...... the score line SUFC 0-5 OAFC!

Since this day I have supported Blades from all over the world, London, Kisumu (Kenya), Bujumubra (Burundi), Kabul, Boston and finally for the last 5 years in Nashik (India), and back home now in Sheffield. In fact this coming season will be my first full season in Sheffield since 2004 and I. CAN NOT. WAIT!!!!

UTB

I was the "lucky" mascot that day!

Says a lot that my favourite player at that time was Tony Philliskirk. What a bobbar team that was!

For a second I thought that was the year we won 2-1 at Oldham on a plastic pitch. Must have been the following season (1989). Notable for the first match I took my girlfriend (now wife) to. I've always been a romantic devil

Did we go 0-3 down early in that one? I think I was there sat on the Bramall Lane upper tier. We had to watch Hughes do his stupid dance in front of all the gloating Baggies fans. My dad walked into a lappost on the march back to the car, he was ranting so much and not looking where he was going. The only amausing part of a particularly rubbish afternoon.

It was 1-3 fairly early, we initially levelled with a penalty from Marcelo. I think Lee Sandford scored the other. I was on Bramall Lane Upper too as it happens. A fair few ripped up tickets we're thrown onto the away end that day!

And for those of us that made the trip to Blackburn the day before to see us stuffed 4-1 in the pouring rain it was a particularly happy new year!
Left the Blackburn game after 70 mins so missed our goal. Left the Oldham game even earlier.

UTB
I am yet to see a more abject performance than than in all my years of following the blades. I think it was Frank Bunn that tore us one that day. I still use it as a yardstick when people complain about the 'worst united game / team I've seen in xx amount of years.

That Oldham game was the first thing that popped into my mind when Andy Leaning later rejoined as goalkeeping coach...... I seem to recall a couple of those Oldham goals being long range chips that leaning watched loop over his head.....

UTB
This was my also my first game. Didn't go again that season then went to most the season after in our promotion from the 3rd.

I was at the Oldham game and disagree that it was the 'worst result ever'. As I trudged back off the kop, a bloke next to me was grumbling. I said to him 'If nothing else, it means we sack that plank Billy McEwan.' which we duly did. Around Wednesday the following week, I was looking at Ceefax and saw that Watford had sacked Dave Bassett. I said to my brother 'Now that could be very significant news for the Blades!'

The rest is history...:)

So it seems that despite an awful result it became a significant moment in the Club's history with McEwan sacked, Bassett in, Cahill got a wife out of it and became a bench mark for dire performances for the generation of Blades! I guess it also gave me the stomach for games like 2-4 to WBA a decade or two later! interesting.

So it seems that despite an awful result it became a significant moment in the Club's history with McEwan sacked, Bassett in, Cahill got a wife out of it and became a bench mark for dire performances for the generation of Blades! I guess it also gave me the stomach for games like 2-4 to WBA a decade or two later! interesting.

It's often 'darkest before the dawn', Nashik. Something I hope we're about to see...:)

I had the opposite experience: a 5-0 win for my first match (against Bolton, on 31/12/83, I think). Colin Morris got a hat-trick and I found it hilarious that Joe 'Bolton' scored against 'Bolton'. Not sure who got the other. I recall thinking that watching football was a care-free, happy pursuit that delivers only happiness and content...

can't remember my first home match, had been going/being taken since before i can remember.
however my first away match was pretty traumatic... 26/12/79

My first game was a 2-3 defeat to Grimsby, must have been in 83/84ish.

Bizarrely I remember everything about the day except the match itself, which probably goes some way to explaining my continued devotion.

First away game was a 1-2 defeat to Barnsley, probably 86ish. Quite why I stuck with this as my principle release in life I have no idea :p

I've said this before, but that Oldham game remains the worst display from United I've ever seen. Leaning was the worst - he was shockingly bad - but nobody had a good game. It was awful.

I was fortunate that this was the first season I didn't get a season ticket because I was working Saturdays.

Awful team, awful manager. Miraculous when you think that just over 2 years later we were celebrating promotion to the 1st Division.

Andy Leaning. The keeper who made Martin "D"Hodge look good!!!

Back
Top Bottom