Sheffield United 'expected to go up'...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Link & vid.

Sheffield United 'expected' to go up, says Swindon Town boss
Sheffield United are "expected" to win promotion to the Championship, says Swindon Town manager Mark Cooper.

The two clubs will meet in the first leg of their League One play-off semi-final at Bramall Lane on Thursday.

"The pressure on them is the expectancy," Cooper told BBC Wiltshire.

"Because it's such a big club they're expected to get promotion, whereas we're not. They've shown before they can deal with that, but let's hope they don't."

Cooper added: "The only pressure on us is from within, which is the pressure we put on ourselves to put on a good performance and show everybody what we're all about."

Both sides head into their two-legged showdown in poor form, without a victory in any of their final five regular season matches.

Cooper has elected to rotate his squad in an attempt to keep them fresh for the play-offs, using 27 different players across those last five games.

_82782545_sheffield_united.png

"We've done it with the right intentions, to make sure everyone is refreshed and ready to go," he said.

"I'm excited. Bramall Lane is one of those old-fashioned stadiums with a fantastic atmosphere and I'm really looking forward to it.

"It will be nerve-wracking and anxious, but it is what it is. We'd rather be here than sat on the beach now and eating our ice creams."

Sheffield United boss Nigel Clough has admitted he is unsure what to expect from the Robins.

Clough, who guided the Blades to fifth in the table, has only been involved in the play-offs once before.

"I'm not sure how they will approach it. I don't see them changing from how they've been all season which is attacking and adventurous," he told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"You never know how it is going to pan out. You can plan things but then something can happen in the first five minutes that changes everything. We have to be ready to adapt."

standard take pressure off his own team fluff

...well, yes..I'm expecting us to go up!

Indeed. "We got 8 more points and scored 10 more goals than them, but we're still underdogs, honest!"

Two years ago they halved their budget after being in the 4th - which is why DeCanio left.
What do you think our budget is compared to theirs?
They are minnows of a club compared to us.
The only minnow at Bramall Lane is Nigels Clough's 'ambition'.

Two years ago they halved their budget after being in the 4th - which is why DeCanio left.
What do you think our budget is compared to theirs?
They are minnows of a club compared to us.
The only minnow at Bramall Lane is Nigels Clough's 'ambition'.

However much you think that's true, it has no bearing at this stage. Evidence suggests they have a better team than us this season, or at least a more consistent/effective team. Cooper is trying to deflect from this and take the pressure off his players by misleadingly casting them as underdogs. Getting cross about misused budget and 'smaller' clubs finishing above us is kind of playing into his argument.

I do find the anger towards everything quite strange at this stage in the season. As I've said before, it's been apparent since December where we'll finish really. The Maguire sale and failure of Clough to sort centre back and centre forward options means the writing has been on the wall for a while. Why can't we just put it out of our minds and support our team for hopefully 3 games?

Standard switch the pressure stuff from Mark Cooper.

Classic Fergie type stuff.

Back
Top Bottom