Sheffield United 1986-1987

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All of you know the Shrewsbury player on the far left of the programme cover. Recognise him?

Thoroughly enjoyed this vid. This was the season my dad started taking me too the lane. I always remember that in that reading game, we were winning three nil!. Nothing much changes.

Thoroughly enjoyed this vid. This was the season my dad started taking me too the lane. I always remember that in that reading game, we were winning three nil!. Nothing much changes.
And then Reading scored 3 goals in about 5 mins midway in the 2nd half, Trevor Senior causing havoc!

I remember not cheering for a good few seconds as I was bang level with it and he was miles off....fully expected the ref to bring it back.

Mark Dempsey was an odd one, lovely on the ball and scored some great goals but could be quite lazy.

He has been managing in Norway and Sweden but quit his latest job in the summer.

Of course some such as Withe and Stancliffe (know him too via his son) went into coaching and others such as Beagrie went into the media but others seemed to drift out of the game too.

I sure I remember David Frain was running a DIY shop in Walkley?

We ought to do a where are they now for each of the seasons Walthamstow posts up!

Im a bit hampered for the next (and final) one by not having a photo of the 1987-1988 squad.

No season reviews from 1989-90?

Well there's the club ones which I might do. After 1988 I don't think there's much I can add though. 1987-1988 will be the last of the videos produced by me. After that I'll be editing the existing ones as and when more footage becomes available.

Well there's the club ones which I might do. After 1988 I don't think there's much I can add though. 1987-1988 will be the last of the videos produced by me. After that I'll be editing the existing ones as and when more footage becomes available.
Thank you for the excellent videos. Much appreciated

Thank you for the excellent videos. Much appreciated

One video I did have which is lost somewhere at my folks or in my flat now was some odd Football League video with 30 mins highlights each from matches in 1990-1991. It included the 7-2 win over Oldham in the ZDS Cup which I don't think made it on to the season review video so that would be worth posting if I can find it.

Thanks for the video, not sure the quality of the football was much different then than now but did get some results.
Under McEwan we played a lot of passing football. I think Bassett was the first manager in our history to play route one

MARK FUCKIN DEMPSEY the potters picture palace kid not my favorite by a long way realy enjoyed the videos w b

Don't stop doing em after 88

Agreed, I know we may have seen a lot of the goals from 88 onwards as club videos were made but loving the way the music is mixed in with comments on what was happening.

Even if you just cut out the goals from games that matter to music of the era using game format be great to keep going!!!

3 games in particular stand out in my mind from that season: 1) L**ds (a) There was never a very good atmosphere at Elland Road because of the way our fans were spread down the side of the ground, but to sing "Edwards, Edwards what's the score?" after Phillishave's offside goal was hugely satisfying. 2) Sunderland (h) Great atmosphere, large away following, game heading to a stalemate. Young David Frain comes on after about 88 minutes. Bloke near me goes "What's he bringing him on now for?" Ball comes to Frain at corner of penalty area in injury-time and he curls a peach in front of the Kop who go berserk. I still get a warm glow when I think of it now, 30 years later . 3) Hull (h) on Boxing Day. Losing 1-0 at half-time, Peter Beagrie puts on a virtuoso performance in the second half as we go on to win 4-2. That evening ITV show The Spy Who Loved Me and the theme tune 'Nobody Does It Better' seems entirely appropriate.

I also remember the 3-3 v Reading after going 3-0 up in the second-half - awful, and beating Palace 1-0 in March in front of about 6,200 - our lowest post-war league crowd I believe. Oddly enough the atmosphere was quite good at that game, as if we were down to the real hardcore fans.

3 games in particular stand out in my mind from that season: 1) L**ds (a) There was never a very good atmosphere at Elland Road because of the way our fans were spread down the side of the ground, but to sing "Edwards, Edwards what's the score?" after Phillishave's offside goal was hugely satisfying. 2) Sunderland (h) Great atmosphere, large away following, game heading to a stalemate. Young David Frain comes on after about 88 minutes. Bloke near me goes "What's he bringing him on now for?" Ball comes to Frain at corner of penalty area in injury-time and he curls a peach in front of the Kop who go berserk. I still get a warm glow when I think of it now, 30 years later . 3) Hull (h) on Boxing Day. Losing 1-0 at half-time, Peter Beagrie puts on a virtuoso performance in the second half as we go on to win 4-2. That evening ITV show The Spy Who Loved Me and the theme tune 'Nobody Does It Better' seems entirely appropriate.

I also remember the 3-3 v Reading after going 3-0 up in the second-half - awful, and beating Palace 1-0 in March in front of about 6,200 - our lowest post-war league crowd I believe. Oddly enough the atmosphere was quite good at that game, as if we were down to the real hardcore fans.
Fpr me it was the 4 sending offs in the first 36 mins against Pompey at home in November.Billy Gilbert was the first to go after a strong tackle, then not long after that the linesman asked for the ref (Jim Parker) over to tell him what he saw. The ref then sent off both Peter Beagrie and Mick Tait (it was said that they were in a scuffle but I didnt see it). On the 36th minute Kevin Dillon was the next to go after a late tackle. In the 2nd half 8 men Pompey defended well against 10 men Blades and it was an own goal by Paul Mariner that gave us 3 points

Fpr me it was the 4 sending offs in the first 36 mins against Pompey at home in November.Billy Gilbert was the first to go after a strong tackle, then not long after that the linesman asked for the ref (Jim Parker) over to tell him what he saw. The ref then sent off both Peter Beagrie and Mick Tait (it was said that they were in a scuffle but I didnt see it). On the 36th minute Kevin Dillon was the next to go after a late tackle. In the 2nd half 8 men Pompey defended well against 10 men Blades and it was an own goal by Paul Mariner that gave us 3 points
I'd forgotten about that. The second half, Portsmouth defended like a basketball team. I remember the headline in the Green 'Un: "FOUR OFF AT THE LANE". The first battle of Bramall Lane!

Back
Top Bottom