'Memries' Sheffield United 1978-1979

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thanks Walthamstow, really surprised how much video evidence there was in 78/9. Haslam was the original tinkerman. He certainly shuffled the deck but managed to get it completely wrong!

Thanks Walthamstow, really surprised how much video evidence there was in 78/9. Haslam was the original tinkerman. He certainly shuffled the deck but managed to get it completely wrong!

Thata the vagaries of footage for you. Ive got quite a bit of stuff for the next two seasons but only bits from two matches for 1981-1982 so that will take a bit of work.

Haslam was before my time (before my birth actually), but theres support for all the bad things Ive heard about him.

Yes I know 1980 81 ,
more distressing than watching Schindlers list

Funnily enough, almost all the footage I have of that season is of us scoring. The reason I started doing the screens with a bit of description is because alot of the footage comes from the old YTV video of goals from 1968 to 1981 and watching that you'd think it was a glorious period for the club. Obviously bit of it were...

Well that set of memories cheered me up no end. Another Blades team that looked reasonably strong on paper but never worked on the pitch. I thought Finnieston was a good signing at the time, Speight as the ball winner, Sabella and Hamson creating, but Haslam never sorted us defensively and swapped the team around just about every match. Awful season, and it was to get worse.

Thata the vagaries of footage for you. Ive got quite a bit of stuff for the next two seasons but only bits from two matches for 1981-1982 so that will take a bit of work.

Haslam was before my time (before my birth actually), but theres support for all the bad things Ive heard about him.

In 81-82 weren't we on TV four times - Bradford (a), Port Vale (a), Colchester (a), Bournemouth (h)

Silent will know better than me but I only have footage from two of those games.
Bournemouth was a goalless draw. No doubt you have the Colchester goals. Edwards goal at Port Vale is in the clubs centenary video. Do you have the Bradford goals?

Walthy is right that we won a lot of matches in 1980-81 that were televised. When Walthy's 1980-81 video comes out then it would not seem to be a bad season

Imagine the outpourings on here if we had another season like that.
The kids today eh Silent Blade ... have had an easy ride.
They don't know how lucky they are!

Thanks WalthamstowBlade . I'm getting to see a lot of footage I've never seen before. What a catastrophic season that was and with the forwards we had, we should never have been in any danger. Some of the goals we conceded were shockers, the one where Johns appears to have it then somehow loses it while Kenworthy just stands there is right up there with some of the defending from last season. Kenworthy was my fave player but he seems to make a lot of mistakes on the games shown. I was only 10 or 11 so I only remember him smacking in penalties and free kicks but did he make a lot of errors?

I bet Woody was glad to get away from a club that was in free fall at the time.
Happy Harry clueless

Thanks WalthamstowBlade . I'm getting to see a lot of footage I've never seen before. What a catastrophic season that was and with the forwards we had, we should never have been in any danger. Some of the goals we conceded were shockers, the one where Johns appears to have it then somehow loses it while Kenworthy just stands there is right up there with some of the defending from last season. Kenworthy was my fave player but he seems to make a lot of mistakes on the games shown. I was only 10 or 11 so I only remember him smacking in penalties and free kicks but did he make a lot of errors?

One the one hand, great positional defensive play rarely makes the highlights, on the other it must be remembered that Kenworthy played in a team that was diving through the divisions. Those who saw him play would have to tell you how culpable he was.

Shame that Leicester (h) game wasn't on telly. I was there - the last game I went to just before joining the Navy later that month. It was a real 'kick lumps out of each other' night game and one we'd never win. Then the South Stand emptied when United were clear on goal and their left back hacked our player down and he got a smack from some fan with a scarf hanging from his waist.

Strange times.

pommpey

My first season supporting the Blades, although I only went to the Palace (0-2) and Charlton (2-1) games. Oh and a testimonial v Norton Woodseats. Seems weird seeing Harry Haslam smoking in the stand. A bit of a 'Life on Mars' moment.

Such a shame that there's no footage of the 1-0 v Liverpool.
You had to be there to understand the magnitude of that victory.

Two part Q for Silent Blade ..

1. What was the attendance?
2. Can you name them?

I think it was 35,753... without looking.

Newcastle United away..

3-1 (did the double over them that season!)

Didn't think we'd have a chance. Bruce Rioch on loan ran the show (I think) ...
Just over 19,000 in St. James' Park that afternoon.
Memories of walking past a hospital that had painted palm prints climbing up the outside wall!

Such a shame that there's no footage of the 1-0 v Liverpool.
You had to be there to understand the magnitude of that victory.

Two part Q for Silent Blade ..

1. What was the attendance?
2. Can you name them?

I think it was 35,753... without looking.
There was footage of the match that was shown on either Calendar or Look North in the next day. It was showing a few actions of the match including when the ref booked three or four Liverpool players for not retreating from our free kick at the Lane End, when a Liverpool effort (by Dalglish, I think) had hit the post in the Lane End and Hamson's goal at the Kop End also the celebrations as Hamson and his team mates ran towards our dugout in John Street

Thanks for the trip down memory lane there Walthamstow ..... pun intended ;)

That was my first full season following the Blades . I'd been to a few games before the 78/79 season , but as a fledgling 11 year old Blade , this was the season when my life took a turn for the worse :eek:;)

I attended every home game this season except for 2 . Yep , you guessed it , the 2 I missed were Liverpool and Sunderland !

I did manage to attend the Leeds cup game though as a peace offering from mi dad for missing the Liverpool game . That worked out well too ...... hammered 4-1 and all the windows on the bus being put through outside the Train Station .

The dye was definitely cast that season :eek::eek::D:cool:

The only Season I have done all the games home and away, League, League Cup and FA Cup

The first game of the Season, the Ticker Tape welcome for the Teams, borrowed from the Argie World Cup played that summer

A fantastic start Vs Orient .... which went a bit pear shaped, then an away win at Leicester courtesy of John Mathews

A win over the European Champions

Ended up on the wrong end at Burnley (Woody sent off), Oldham and Palace ... :eek: ... survived ;)

Given a footballing lesson by Terry Venables Palace Teams, a win at Newcastle with Bruce Rioch in the Team

Fuckers up the Floodlights at Cambridge, ended in disarray at Home Vs Leicester

Relegated

All Blades Magic in mi ead :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane there Walthamstow ..... pun intended ;)

That was my first full season following the Blades . I'd been to a few games before the 78/79 season , but as a fledgling 11 year old Blade , this was the season when my life took a turn for the worse :eek:;)

I attended every home game this season except for 2 . Yep , you guessed it , the 2 I missed were Liverpool and Sunderland !

I did manage to attend the Leeds cup game though as a peace offering from mi dad for missing the Liverpool game . That worked out well too ...... hammered 4-1 and all the windows on the bus being put through outside the Train Station .

The dye was definitely cast that season :eek::eek::D:cool:
Ey up CHL. You recovered?

Recovered ..... from season 78/79 ? I've never been reight since !!

All good here BB thanks .

Back
Top Bottom