'Memries' Sheffield United 1972-1973

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

First time I have seen the ITV highlights of the 3-1 defeat at West Ham. I was at the match but dont remember the goals. The only moment I remember was Bobby Moore shaking his fist at a team mate (can be seen just before the first goal)

Looking at the highlights of the Derby match it is obvious that Dave Staniforth (number 11 who nodded down Woody's corner for TC's equaliser) was one of our tallest player but at the reunion 5 years ago he seemed to be only about 5 foot 7

First time I have seen the ITV highlights of the 3-1 defeat at West Ham. I was at the match but dont remember the goals. The only moment I remember was Bobby Moore shaking his fist at a team mate (can be seen just before the first goal)

Looking at the highlights of the Derby match it is obvious that Dave Staniforth (number 11 who nodded down Woody's corner for TC's equaliser) was one of our tallest player but at the reunion 5 years ago he seemed to be only about 5 foot 7

If, like me, you didn't see these players in the flesh then these extended highlights are useful. I think you see the truth in summat Tony Currie once said, that United had a great first 11 but not much in terms of depth. You see that with Dearden crocked we had that carthorse Warboys up front, who my dad always hated.

Bert
If, like me, you didn't see these players in the flesh then these extended highlights are useful. I think you see the truth in summat Tony Currie once said, that United had a great first 11 but not much in terms of depth. You see that with Dearden crocked we had that carthorse Warboys up front, who my dad always hated.

Bert didn't like him either, it didn't help that he had a very serious black mark against due to one of his previous clubs.

Bert didn't like him either, it didn't help that he had a very serious black mark against due to one of his previous clubs.

Indeed. What Walth Snr really has against Warboys though is that we swapped him for Gil Reece, one of his favourites.

Indeed. What Walth Snr really has against Warboys though is that we swapped him for Gil Reece, one of his favourites.
Yes but Reece wanted to go. He got angry after being named sub for the League Cup match at Workington and stormed out of the hotel Blades were staying at

That second penalty the ref gave against us at Derby must be one of the worst decisions of all time, on a par with that pen Tommy Cowan was adjudged to have conceded in the last minute of a game at West Ham in the early nineties.

That second penalty the ref gave against us at Derby must be one of the worst decisions of all time, on a par with that pen Tommy Cowan was adjudged to have conceded in the last minute of a game at West Ham in the early nineties.

Agreed, looks like a top class bit of goalkeeping to me.

thanks for this
that bloody watneys cup defeat. i was devastated. i thought will it always be like this??. perhaps i should switch to Crystal Palace :)

Keith Walker was supposed to officiate the Derby game as stated in the match programme but he was in talks with SUFC about the secretary's job so a replacement ref for the match had to be found at a short notice

Why was that Walthy?

Another interesting bit of footage was the away strip featuring the old club crest. Most of the times I'd seen photos the crest wasn't on.

These are brilliant, thanks for putting these together. Are you going planning on eventually doing one for every season to date?

That Whatney Cup final loss is just bloody typical! couldn't even win a preseason tournament against a third division team!...some impressive crowds there.

These are brilliant, thanks for putting these together. Are you going planning on eventually doing one for every season to date?

Not sure. I had planned to do one for each season to 1987-1988, the club started doing its own videos after that, but for some seasons footage is pretty sparse.

Also, some of them are pretty depressing.

Back
Top Bottom