'Memries' Sheffield United 1969-1970

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tuesday 2nd September 1969, place: Indian Ocean aboard a tanker aged 11 listening to the results....

League Cup Sheffield United 2 Newcastle United 0

The Blades were top of the old Second Division (Championship), Newcastle holders of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (akin to Europa League) and sitting 8th in Division One (Premier League).

Made you proud to be a Blade. And John Harris and his staff were brilliant. United's best ever manager in my life time.

Absolutely stunning WB , that was the first season of which I have clear memories of attending specific games , where can you get that footage ? Quite a bit was ITV wasn't it ? Thank you so so much.☺
Currie and Woody could really hit that old leather ball and Eddie and Gil could nut it with power !

Tuesday 2nd September 1969, place: Indian Ocean aboard a tanker aged 11 listening to the results....

The Blades were top of the old Second Division (Championship), Newcastle holders of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (akin to Europa League) and sitting 8th in Division One (Premier League).

Made you proud to be a Blade. And John Harris and his staff were brilliant. United's best ever manager in my life time.

Remember the game against Newcastle. They'd just signed a player from Aberdeen for £100,000 but I always saw Wyn Davies their Welsh international as the main threat and can recall being concerned every time they looked to cross.

Woody was the hero on the night. Scored direct from a corner in the first minute then set up John Tudor for the second on 30 minutes and finally went in goal for the final 15 minutes when Hodgy went off after clashing with Davies. Attendance that night 22101.

We beat Luton Town in the next round but then went out at Leicester in round 4.

The Newcastle game was probably the first game I saw the Blades as 'giantkillers' and I'd forgotten it was in the same season as the Everton FA Cup win.

Difficult to believe now but until the 1977-78 season the Blades had never finished below 11th in the old Second Division (Championship). A feat only bettered by Arsenal and equalled by Chelsea and Liverpool. Better than Man U, Spurs, Newcastle, Wednesday.

To think that this club's decline has all happened since then and of that time since the 1976-77 season, 39 seasons, 18 have delivered a below 11th spot finish in the second tier of English Football. :(

where can you get that footage ? Quite a bit was ITV wasn't it ?

Yes. The major sources are the old YTV and Match of the Day videos. I've been trying to dig other bits and bobs out for years so there is some other stuff from here and there. The only rule I have is that I won't pay for summat unless we score a goal in it. So there's a match which we lose 5-1 which I paid for, but a 5-0 hammering from L**ds (I think) which I didn't bother. By contrast, there are 4-0 hammerings I've included because they were free.

There's some wins along the way, of course.

Walthy, The 1969/70 season was when my love affair with our club began (my first game at the Lane was February 1970 against QPR). Some great memories contained in this footage which make me shake my head in disbelief at what is happening at the club these days.
What an amazing team we had at that time and with one or two additions the following season, John Harris ensured that promotion was deservedly achieved.
The 69/70/71/72/73 squads were quite simply the best group of players I've ever seen in the red and white stripes and apart from some brief attempts to achieve the same greatness by Ken Furphy, Ian Porterfield, Dave Bassett, Howard Kendall and Neil Warnock, us Blades have been starved of success for many a year.

I seem to recall Woody scored direct from a corner. I was at the back of the Kop, pretty much where I sit/stand now

Walthy, The 1969/70 season was when my love affair with our club began (my first game at the Lane was February 1970 against QPR). Some great memories contained in this footage which make me shake my head in disbelief at what is happening at the club these days.
What an amazing team we had at that time and with one or two additions the following season, John Harris ensured that promotion was deservedly achieved.
The 69/70/71/72/73 squads were quite simply the best group of players I've ever seen in the red and white stripes and apart from some brief attempts to achieve the same greatness by Ken Furphy, Ian Porterfield, Dave Bassett, Howard Kendall and Neil Warnock, us Blades have been starved of success for many a year.

Agreed, but the 1966/7 team weren't bad, Mick Jones, Reece, Woodward, Badger, Hodgy et al

Tony Currie wore number 8 for most of that season. From the start of the 1970-71 season he always wore number 10
I started being a committed Blade after seeing YTV highlights of us beating Everton in the FA Cup and two weeks later (2-0 win against Preston) I was a Lane regular

Tony Currie wore number 8 for most of that season. From the start of the 1970-71 season he always wore number 10
I started being a committed Blade after seeing YTV highlights of us beating Everton in the FA Cup and two weeks later (2-0 win against Preston) I was a Lane regular
funny seeing him without the iconic hair. nice little cameo of him and stan bowles. and that derby 'pitch' (i use the term very loosely). what would woody be worth now??

funny seeing him without the iconic hair. nice little cameo of him and stan bowles. and that derby 'pitch' (i use the term very loosely). what would woody be worth now??
It was Rodney Marsh not Stan Bowles, Stan Bowles was at Manchester City at the time and didnt join QPR until the 1972-73 season after spells at Bury, Crewe and Carlisle

That Derby pitch was a quagmire from about November onwards, I'm sure Cloughy got the Fire Brigade in before every match. We lost 3-0 at the Baseball Ground 1971, the last match I attended before joining the RAF as a 17 year old. DIdn't we lose 5-1 to West Ham in a League Cup match the same week when John Hope(less) was in goal, probably not ?

We lost 3-0 at the Baseball Ground 1971, the last match I attended before joining the RAF as a 17 year old. DIdn't we lose 5-1 to West Ham in a League Cup match the same week when John Hope(less) was in goal, probably not ?

Stayed tuned...

My first year away at Uni so did not see many games and TBH looking at the fixture list I cannot specifically remember going to any of those games but I am sure I would have gone to some. The one game I do remember from that season however is the FA Cup game against Everton at the Lane on 3 Jan 1970. Everton were in Division One and we were Div 2 so the underdogs. We were playing really well but then Everton scored against the run of play but we came from behind and won 2-1. I believe one of our goals was a pen and I think John Tudor got the winner? Anyone remember any more details?

My first year away at Uni so did not see many games and TBH looking at the fixture list I cannot specifically remember going to any of those games but I am sure I would have gone to some. The one game I do remember from that season however is the FA Cup game against Everton at the Lane on 3 Jan 1970. Everton were in Division One and we were Div 2 so the underdogs. We were playing really well but then Everton scored against the run of play but we came from behind and won 2-1. I believe one of our goals was a pen and I think John Tudor got the winner? Anyone remember any more details?

Go to 5:24 on the video.

Everton's goal was an Alan Ball penalty. As for our two goals, none of them was a penalty. John Tudor didn't play in that match. Think he was an unused sub

Thanks Walthy . Had not actually got round to watching video. Have now done so and realised how bad my memory is!
Looking at the video I think I may have gone to the Derby Cup game with my father and brother. Definitely remember going to the Baseball Swamp and seeing us lose 3-0 around that time. We were behind one of the goals and the place was rammed and quite unpleasant. Seem to remember my brother getting quite panicky at some point.

Thanks also Silent. I thought there was a penalty in there some where. Don't know where my recollection of Tudor came from. As you say no sign of him playing even. Must be another game I am thinking of. It may come to me at some point.

UTB

Thanks Walthy . Had not actually got round to watching video. Have now done so and realised how bad my memory is!
Looking at the video I think I may have gone to the Derby Cup game with my father and brother. Definitely remember going to the Baseball Swamp and seeing us lose 3-0 around that time. We were behind one of the goals and the place was rammed and quite unpleasant. Seem to remember my brother getting quite panicky at some point.

Thanks also Silent. I thought there was a penalty in there some where. Don't know where my recollection of Tudor came from. As you say no sign of him playing even. Must be another game I am thinking of. It may come to me at some point.

UTB
Around that time, Harris didn't start Tudor in many games. Angry Blades fans wrote to the Green Un demanding Tudor should start regularly. Green Un's reporter, Peter Howard, defended Harris decision because Colin Addison was better at holding the ball up front

I'm redoing the video for this season with a fair bit of new footage. One idea I had though was that I could intersperse it will video clips of Blades sharing their memories from this season. Nothing fancy, maybe just record a video on your phone and email it to me.

Here's a refresher...

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fixtures/1969_1970/sheffield_united/index.shtml

UTB
Think I only did two matches that season, the second being our Bolton home match where I'd saved up enough pocket money and sneaked off on the bus to BDTBL on my own without my mum knowing who was furious afterwards, I was only about 11. We lost 0-1 and it was a dire game. I still have the program but there's not much in it.

I like your compilations walthy and if ever you redo the 90/91 and 91/92 seasons I have the season compilations on VHS but they are no use to me anymore without a VHS player so you can have them if they help. UTB

Think I only did two matches that season, the second being our Bolton home match where I'd saved up enough pocket money and sneaked off on the bus to BDTBL on my own without my mum knowing who was furious afterwards, I was only about 11. We lost 0-1 and it was a dire game. I still have the program but there's not much in it.
That game was the first time I saw a World Cup winner play. Name him!

I like your compilations walthy and if ever you redo the 90/91 and 91/92 seasons I have the season compilations on VHS but they are no use to me anymore without a VHS player so you can have them if they help. UTB

Cheers fella. I've got those videos and have put 90/91 on YouTube.

Roger Hunt - he wore the no 9 shirt according to my program, can't remember the game much
Gordon taylor wore 11 and didn't he go on to other things

Back
Top Bottom