Sheff Utd views wanted on Spurs semi-final

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kyle Walker

Reaction score
Hiya good folks of the better half of Sheffield. I would like to canvass your thoughts again on the semi-final 2nd leg at Bramall Lane to go up on our Spurs site like last week.

SUFC views from last week

http://www.thfclatest.com/2015/01/19/sheffield-united-fans-view-of-spurs-semi-final-clash/

Were you surprised how comfortably you contained Spurs last week?

I think most Spurs fans, while acknowledging your recent cup record honestly thought you would give it a go but Spurs would rack up a lead to make the return in Yorkshire a formality.

How wrong we were as the Blades more than matched us and were unfortunate not to be going into Wednesday’s game 0-0.

Do you think Premier teams have underestimated SUFC? Do you believe Spurs took you too lightly last week or was it a case of SUFC matching Spurs regardless?

You were well organised and showed a willingness to counter us when possible but in all honestly did not really threaten to score.

Who should Spurs be most fearful of? Who do you look to make and score the goals that will take you through to the final?

Who do you most worry about in the Spurs team?

Finally, we have heard a lot about how difficult it with be for Spurs up at your Lane. What can Spurs expect regarding the atmosphere and how your team will approach the game?

Cheers. Any thoughts appreciated. I will credit the posters who reply if their views are used on the site.

Hiya good folks of the better half of Sheffield. I would like to canvass your thoughts again on the semi-final 2nd leg at Bramall Lane to go up on our Spurs site like last week.

http://www.thfclatest.com/2015/01/19/sheffield-united-fans-view-of-spurs-semi-final-clash/

I think most Spurs fans, while acknowledging your recent cup record honestly thought you would give it a go but Spurs would rack up a lead to make the return in Yorkshire a formality.

How wrong we were as the Blades more than matched us and were unfortunate not to be going into Wednesday’s game 0-0.

Do you think Premier teams have underestimated SUFC? Do you believe Spurs took you too lightly last week or was it a case of SUFC matching Spurs regardless?

You were well organised and showed a willingness to counter us when possible but in all honestly did not really threaten to score.

Who should Spurs be most fearful of? Who do you look to make and score the goals that will take you through to the final?

Finally, we have heard a lot about how difficult it with be for Spurs up at your Lane. What can Spurs expect regarding the atmosphere and how your team will approach the game?

Cheers. Any thoughts appreciated. I will credit the posters who reply if their views are used on the site.

I'd worry about the 20000 that will run on the pitch at the end if we win.

Not to harm your players but 11 guys who have cost in fortune in the centre of a scrum that's been 79 years in the making could be nasty.

I'd worry about the 20000 that will run on the pitch at the end if we win.

Not to harm your players but 11 guys who have cost in fortune in the centre of a scrum that's been 79 years in the making could be nasty.

I think it's more likely that if we got through and the place went mental they'd be carrying Spurs players around the pitch above their heads as much as the United players... I'd certainly "hug a Spur" if I got near one...

pre-game:
Atmosphere will be tense but lively

during game:
expect it to be very noisy from both sets of fans after the initial tension dies.... and as long as you haven't gone 2 up inside 10 minutes will remain so.
I'd expect Spurs fans to be happy and dancing if they score... if we get one, the place will be bouncing...

End of game:

either resignation of Blades to another semi defeat, but hopefully some pride at a decent performance.... and we'll leave you to have a good time celebrating,

or

with the right result you'll see grown men cry, hug, snog, puke, wet themselves, scream like banshees, feint, give birth, suffer cardiac arrest, night blindness or any panic induced ailment... and generally not have a f**kin' clue what just happened or how to celebrate.... personally I'm as terrified of winning as I'm of losing... Is Imodium any good pre-game?

***I think anyone who said no would be slightly lying. Maybe we hoped to contain you but I think most of us thought you had too much quality and were a step up from any of the other teams we'd met so far, Southampton included. Having said that, this squad has continually surprised us when it comes to the cups and I think it would be a foolish person from either set of fans to write us off on Wednesday. I think we went to WHL more in hope that expectation and in the end were slightly disappointed not to have kept it 0-0****

***I think it's happened too often now for opposing managers or teams to underestimate us. I thought Pochettino was very fair in his interviews both pre and post match, he knew it wasn't going to be a walk over and I think prepared you well for that. I lthought both him and the lads who did the interview aftet the game came out of it very well indeed. Gave the right amount of respect and understood that the second leg is no formality.

***I'd slightly disagree with that, I thought first half we had two better than half chances (Scougall flashing wide and JCR's shot cum cross) Compared to the two headers from set pieces Spurs had, I'd say our "chances" were just as good.

If Murphy is on his game then he is our major threat, I was ever so slightly disappointed with him last week, I don't think he held onto the ball as well as he can. If he's firing then Walker is in for a tough evening. JCR was superb last week and really gave his full back the run around, I think we need to get both of them on the ball as much as possible. Scougall is coming into a bit of form as well and again he'll be key carrying the ball once we win it back. I think we'll ideally line up as we at WHL with Baxter again to come off the bench to try to get hold of it if we're not getting on the ball enough.***

***Kane and Erikson for obvious reasons, but then you go through the whole midfield and they all pose a threat, I think you'll start the game with as strong a line up as you can this time so I'd expect Soldado to start instead of Adebayor as well this time round and wouldn't be surprised to see Dembele in there in place of Stambouli for his strength and creativity.****

***Atmosphere wise, the longer we're in the tie the more rocking it's going to be, there's something really special about cup nights under floodlights and everyone associated with the club, players, staff and fans are right up for this. I assume you've played in cauldrons before but if we stay in the game long enough, I think it might just knock your socks off when you hear the roar of the kop. Especially if we're 0-0 and kicking towards it second half.

As for the way we'll set up I honestly think you'll be shocked again. At WHL we weren't as good as we can be going forward on the counter and I just think you'll expect us to go gung ho, we won't. We'll look to keep it tight but then we'll counter with real pace. Scougall, Reed, Murphy and JCR can all carry the ball 50-60 yards and we play sharp incisive one two's which might just catch you off guard. It will make a real difference if Flynn is fit, cos if not we'll lose a bit going forward on the right hand side.****

I was astonished truth to tell. I think Spurs thought it was just a case of turning up.

Yes, a lot have underestimated and Yes, I think Spurs did too and it's very hard to get out of that frame of mind once it has set in (see Chelsea/Bradford after it went to 2-0 for example) and Yes again, United did match you regardless once that mindset had been established. I think we're a better side than a lot of people realise (mainly on here).

Not often, but in the first half I thought we might undo you down our right.

Murphy if he on it - on both accounts.

Kane. He's in my fantasy team so I've taken serious note of him recently (other than that I don't watch much Premiership stuff so not really sure/bothered)

If you can ignore the crowd and play as you should you should be OK.
My theory though, for many a year going back to the great Jimmy Greaves, is that Spurs travelling to the frozen North are a team to take on, and maybe don't fancy BDTBL.
A cold night and a team at least half full of glove wearing nonces would be ideal when they step out.

You're favourites, and rightly so, but if you're not "on it" then it could be a long way home and a whole lot of recrimination next day.

I was astonished truth to tell. I think Spurs thought it was just a case of turning up.

Yes, a lot have underestimated and Yes, I think Spurs did too and it's very hard to get out of that frame of mind once it has set in (see Chelsea/Bradford after it went to 2-0 for example) and Yes again, United did match you regardless once that mindset had been established. I think we're a better side than a lot of people realise (mainly on here).

Not often, but in the first half I thought we might undo you down our right.

Murphy if he on it - on both accounts.

Kane. He's in my fantasy team so I've taken serious note of him recently (other than that I don't watch much Premiership stuff so not really sure/bothered)

If you can ignore the crowd and play as you should you should be OK.
My theory though, for many a year going back to the great Jimmy Greaves, is that Spurs travelling to the frozen North are a team to take on, and maybe don't fancy BDTBL.
A cold night and a team at least half full of glove wearing nonces would be ideal when they step out.

You're favourites, and rightly so, but if you're not "on it" then it could be a long way home and a whole lot of recrimination next day.

Thought Campel Rice was more of a threat than Murphy

You play how you can and you will win comfortably. Take us lightly and you will make the same mistake many before you have made.

You could easily score in the first 20 mins and run up 4 or 5, of course if you don't the atmosphere will build and build and then we might just come into it.

Very much looking forward to the match hopefully we will keep it tight first half and then second half kicking towards the kop we build up pressure. I think if we go for it from the start and spurs get an early goal it will make it hard for us x

So, who should Spurs fear the most? To score the goals and make them?

In a word...YES.

I concur. Funny old game eh !? :)

Spurs underestimated us but its not their fault. We are better than our league position suggests. Spurs prepared for a game that never was going to happen.

Fair point. We lacked a bit of composure at times and didnt make the best of the opportunities that did present themselves but on the otherhand Spurs failed to create a deal too and you were at home.

Spurs should worry about what they cannot control....make of that what you will.

The usual suspects...Kane..Eriksen.........

The atmosphere should be excellent. Spurs will find life gets very difficult if they fail to score first. I do not believe we will go hell for leather...it's not really our way I believe we will look to stay in the tie until the second half and then bomb on.

So, who should Spurs fear the most? To score the goals and make them?
Murphy is the most likely to create something if he can get around Walker, which should be a good battle again. If McNulty plays like he did against Southampton then your centre backs will be in for a tough night and he has a knack for finding the back of the net at key times.

Watch out for young Reedy bossing the midfield again (and no, you can't have him ;) ).

I don't think we contained Spurs as much as Spurs failed to dominate. It was clear Spurs didn't like 'lesser clubs' being up and at em and I think the good work by Campbell Ryce in the first half rocked Spurs back on their feet somewhat.

Possibly. I think Sheff Utd fans were dreading a 3-0+ lead that we'd have to go out and unjustify againsta team that would sit in a 5-4-1 formation and repel all boarders. But it is still game on for us and we are fully aware that Spurs need to score no goals for us to give us any chance at all. I hope we can still keep Kane at bay and stop Eriksson ripping down the wing.

As said, there is a gulf in class between the two sides. I hope this doesn't manifest itself on Wednesday. Hopefully the crowd will make the difference to again put Spurs on the back foot.

I think Sheff Utd are still a good division below where we should (and could) be. Try telling our board that.

Try telling our board that!

pommpey

Cheers. Any thoughts appreciated. I will credit the posters who reply if their views are used on the site.[/QUOTE]

To be honest yes. Spurs are a cut above the other Prem teams we beat and I expected you to get 2 or 3 late on, even if we kept it tight first half.

They possibly looked at the league table and thought it'd be easier than it was, we more than matched for effort on the night. All our cup victories have all been completely well deserved, but our league position does not lie. In the league we have been pretty dire most part and cannot score goals.

We'll struggle is the short answer. With one up front we rely on the midfielders and wingers to chip in. Murphy and JCR are the main supply line and there will be a lot of effort and a will-to-win but whether that will translate to chances I'm not so sure. Kyle Walker is more than capable of keeping Murphy quiet but if you play that young lad at left back JCR may get some joy.

To be honest most of them. Kane is class, the defence is assured, Townsend and Lennon are big threats. Not to mention all the foreign imports like Soldado and Paulinho who are a cut above. Not mentioned Eriksen yet, jees..... :)

A proper old fashioned couldron of noise in a proper stadium. If we score first the roof will lift off. If you score first its game over and it might go a bit flat. Whilever its 0-0 we're in the game. Really think your fans will enjoy it after being used to going to new idetikit soulless out-of-town stadia you get in the PL (Emirates, COMS, Britannia, Stadium of Light, King Power, St Marys, KC Stadium, Liberty).

Not really, we can certainly make life difficult for teams.

I think most Spurs fans, while acknowledging your recent cup record honestly thought you would give it a go but Spurs would rack up a lead to make the return in Yorkshire a formality. How wrong we were as the Blades more than matched us and were unfortunate not to be going into Wednesday’s game 0-0.
I hope you underestimate us again. I don't think we were particularly unlucky against you lot down at your place, it was a God damned awfully stupid thing to do regarding the penalty after the team had sweated blood for the cause. The ref was ok which clubs from a lower League are always wary of.

Yes, but I don't think Spurs did, they just struggled to break through a team giving 150% defensively whilst being a bit to over cautious.

It's the story of our season, we struggle to score goals against League One teams so not scoring against Spurs wasn't a surprise. The players have a belief in the fact that they're difficult to beat but don't have the same belief when it comes to grabbing hold of the game by the scruff of the neck and winning them.

Jamie Murphy on the left is a very quick, direct winger, who can go left or right, but likes to cut in on his right foot and get a shot away.
Jose Baxter is our most intelligent footballer, always looking to slip balls through to the strikers but unfortunately our strikers aren't on the same wavelength.
Jamal Campbell Rice, will beat your full back 3000 times but either wont get a cross in or he will put it into row Z.
Pity John Brayford is cup tied, he'd cause no end of trouble down the right.

All of them, they are top quality players and if they click on the night they could murder us.

There could be rockets, fireworks, flares, and I hope not because we'll get into trouble again, pitch invasions. It wont be anything nasty against the Spurs fans but jubilation will overcome the entire stadium if we edge into the lead.
The team will hopefully realise that they have to win and start off quickly, the noise level will lift the roof if we get a sniff of some success.

Cheers. Any thoughts appreciated. I will credit the posters who reply if their views are used on the site
You're welcome, let's hope for a good game, with us coming out on top of course ;)

Last week was just as tight a game as we wanted it to be. Goalscoring is not our forte but what we can do is make the most of the difference between our sides. Spurs are a talented and stylish side in comparison so denying you the space to play was a priority. At the same time we would hope to steal a goal but we knew that wasn't particularly likely, so a 1-0 defeat was no disappointment. A good hiding was always a distinct possibility but there was some real belief we could frustrate you and give a good game.

I think certain sides have underestimated us but it's more to do with the mentality and the disparate styles than ability. Premiership sides are becoming increasingly multinational and a few of those Tottenham players were probably not used to the way we approached the game. Not only that but the younger English players are now being brought up playing with and against them and the continental approach is slowly becoming the norm for them too.

Certain players, such as Vertonghen, managed to deal with us easily but others didn't. Ben Davies didn't look ready enough to deal with a positive winger who was on his game. Walker on the other hand looked a little more calm and experienced with the normally superior Jamie Murphy. Mason similarly looked rushed in his play (doesn't help coming from injury straight into a game like that), as did Eriksen on occasion. No doubt we raised our game on the day of course, defensively anyway, but the biggest lifeline we were thrown though was the selection of Adebayor.

The interesting thing is that in league games at Bramall Lane this is often the opposite. We regularly get shut down and even bullied by larger sides. Our height problems were on show last week - we looked clearly outmatched on set pieces, though thankfully nothing came of it. Needless to say not too many goals come from set pieces. Normally McNulty is the main scoring threat as he works hard and can nick a goal but Murphy is the one who can turn a full back inside out and open a defence up. Baxter is a technically astute player who can pick out some wonderful passes and finish well, but he needs time and space, so this tie is more suited to the even smaller Scougall who can harry the midfield and break forward with pace.

What we don't have is an in form magician like Harry Kane, a man who apparently can do no wrong at the moment. There are goals pouring out of that lad lately and if it were my job I'd arrange the attack around him for the second leg. Personally I'm a fan of Christian Eriksen, although it was Vertonghen that looked a class above last week. That said, the one thing that would worry me on Wednesday would be the sight of Hugo Lloris in goal. Seeing Jeffrey Schlupp's effort squeeze under Vorm on Saturday provides a little more hope.

I think we can expect a similar game for the second leg, at least in the first half. We'll be keeping it tight again as an away goal would all but end the dream of making it to our first final since the war. The crowd will match the intensity theme - there have been some phenomenal atmospheres over the years for all-or-nothing games. Forest, Southampton, Charlton, Leeds and Coventry have all sampled this, with some great and memorable endings.

Hiya good folks of the better half of Sheffield. Good start, lad. Good start! I would like to canvass your thoughts again on the semi-final 2nd leg at Bramall Lane to go up on our Spurs site like last week.

Were you surprised how comfortably you contained Spurs last week? I think most Spurs fans, while acknowledging your recent cup record honestly thought you would give it a go but Spurs would rack up a lead to make the return in Yorkshire a formality. How wrong we were as the Blades more than matched us and were unfortunate not to be going into Wednesday’s game 0-0.Do you think Premier teams have underestimated SUFC? Do you believe Spurs took you too lightly last week or was it a case of SUFC matching Spurs regardless?

Not surprised at all. Look, we're not Cambridge, Bradford etc. We have got 'form' in these kinds of games you know?

Tell us about it! This failure to address our obvious goal-scoring problem has cost us automatic promotion. Winning the Capital Cup will make up for it though.

If he's 'on it', Jose Baxter. Murphy and of course Louis Reed. (You know that Santi Cazorla bloke at Woolwich? We've grown our own!)

Quality all over the park, but we've seen all that (most recently v. Southampton). Once the Spurs lads have put their gloves, tights and snoods on and face a bitterly cold night and a wall of sound, they'll shit it!

Finally, we have heard a lot about how difficult it with be for Spurs up at your Lane (The Lane, lad). What can Spurs expect regarding the atmosphere and how your team will approach the game?

No Blade has a grandparent who has ever seen us win anything. But we still turn up in number, are passionate and you'll see on Wednesday what 'kraft durch freude' really means! Oh, and we've got the best anthem (Greasy Chip Butty) in football. No pointless excerpt from 'Carousel', no meaningless reference to fucking bubbles, our song!

Were you surprised how comfortably you contained Spurs last week? I think most Spurs fans, while acknowledging your recent cup record honestly thought you would give it a go but Spurs would rack up a lead to make the return in Yorkshire a formality. How wrong we were as the Blades more than matched us and were unfortunate not to be going into Wednesday’s game 0-0.Do you think Premier teams have underestimated SUFC? Do you believe Spurs took you too lightly last week or was it a case of SUFC matching Spurs regardless?

Yes, very surprised. I thought Spurs were better than that..I mean QPR, to some extent you expect it..but Spurs?

It's all part of NIgel's 'cunning plan'..we don't 'threaten to score', ever!..then when we do the oppo is knocked for six and doesn't really have to time to respond...

Higgo! Be afraid, be very afraid...we are....

Pinocchio..the manager...I think he's a good manager, if a bit 'grumpy looking'. If he get's it right you'll have few problems...

Finally, we have heard a lot about how difficult it with be for Spurs up at your Lane (The Lane, lad). What can Spurs expect regarding the atmosphere and how your team will approach the game?

I think they'll enjoy it...for as long as they are winning the tie...

Listen lads, I cannot thank you enough for all these replies. I will get a couple of articles for the Spurs site cobbled together this evening.

All the very best to you.

Just let us win Kyle.
You'll get plenty of other chances over the next few years.
This could be the making of our club.

So just let us win FFS!!!!

After the first 15 minutes it was clear we were playing very narrow and not allowing you to use the flanks. I was actually surprised we didn't contain you slightly better, some of our defending wasn't up to scratch compared to other premier league encounters.

After beating Southampton, West Ham, Fulham, Aston Villa, Charlton and Nottingham Forest in the last 12 months in the cups and scoring 3 against Hull City at Wembley that was a huge mistake.

If Adebayor had been dismissed in the first half and Jay hadn't stupidly handballed in the second half it would be a very different game in the 2nd-leg. I don't think either team played to their best ability.

I think it was a mixture of both, we played at an intensity of which Spurs did not expect. We're experienced in these games and I don't think it was just a case of Spurs taking United too lightly.

We only really got into 2nd gear in an attacking sense and most of our shots fell to Michael Doyle unfortunately. People were slating how Kyle Walker played but I think he contained Jamie Murphy better than any premier league full-back I've seen. Thought Murphy who has been our biggest attacking threat in these games was in Walkers pocket for most of the game.

Spurs should be aware of the attacking capability of Jamie Murphy, Ryan Flynn and Jamal Campbell-Ryce. We also have dangers in Marc McNulty who has a nose for goal and is a proper poacher. Jose Baxter is our biggest creative player in attack and links well with Stefan Scougall. We have a very good set of attacking players a few which should be playing at a higher level.

I worry Harry Kane could turn it on in the 2nd-leg and it will take a bit of premier league class from someone like him or Lamela to beat us Wednesday night. Your passing and ball retention is very good and I expect fitness levels to play a part in the game. We did however rest 8 players and play mostly our B team against Preston in the FA Cup 4th round this Saturday (and still managed to draw).

We will keep it tight in the first half hour whilst trying to hit you on the break at pace. Bramall Lane is a fortress on nights like these and you really cannot understand the atmosphere there without experiencing it. When we last faced Arsenal at our Lane in the Premier League we defeated them 1-0 and the noise from that game was the highest Sky had ever recorded, they had to turn several pitch-side microphones off.

Some years ago when we last played in the semis against Liverpool the Lane was bouncing 30 minutes before kick off.
Our play off semi final second leg against Notts Forest has gone down in history as the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced at the Lane.
If we repeat those two you'll go home with your ears ringing :D

Back
Top Bottom