Sharp's goal against the Gills

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

itsinyerblood

Reaction score
If this has been commented on elsewhere apologies, but I was mightily impressed by Billy's goal against Gillingham. His determination, quickness of thought, and fast passing enabling Sharp to play a one-two and create just enough space to score a very tidy goal. Top quality from Sharp, well done son UTB!

If this has been commented on elsewhere apologies, but I was mightily impressed by Billy's goal against Gillingham. His determination, quickness of thought, and fast passing enabling Sharp to play a one-two and create just enough space to score a very tidy goal. Top quality from Sharp, well done son UTB!
Goal of the season for me

Great goal...just watched again...but their second goal on the long throw...Done totally fails in his simply task to stay in front of their lad...Sunday league stuff, v.poor :(

Should try and do more of this,being direct on the edge of the box,one/two pass/move defenders dare not touch you.

That's because he's one of the best strikers we've ever had, which is why half of us love him. The other half might open their fucking eyes when he's no longer with us.
It amazes me how he gets so much criticism at times. Everyone wants a 20+ goal scorer a season and in Billy we have one.

That's because he's one of the best strikers we've ever had, which is why half of us love him. The other half might open their fucking eyes when he's no longer with us.

Oh stop whingeing. Sharp is a very good player at this level but that shouldn't make him immune from criticism when he has (as he does occasionally) a poor run of form.

The second one that got tipped around the post would've been even better. I'd love to see a replay of that one. Maybe Bergen Blade could upload it when he catches up with the game?

Great goal...just watched again...but their second goal on the long throw...Done totally fails in his simply task to stay in front of their lad...Sunday league stuff, v.poor :(

Done?

Looks like Freeman that was supposed to me marking the scorer to me

Done?

Looks like Freeman that was supposed to me marking the scorer to me

The guy who got the flick on, six yard box...Done just disappears...all he's tasked with doing is standing in front of that guy and jumping a bit so he doesn't get the flick on=no goal.

Oh stop whingeing. Sharp is a very good player at this level but that shouldn't make him immune from criticism when he has (as he does occasionally) a poor run of form.

Ah, poor run of form, when he doesn't score for a game you mean? Or when he doesn't "do" enough? Or that "he only scores penalties" whilst also "always missing penalties"? Which load of bollocks is doing the rounds about him this week then?

There were two good saves from Sharp after the goal.
First time effort down to the goalkeepers left from a ball in from the right.
Another effort down in the other corner after two separate one two's by Coutts.

There was almost an even better goal for Sharp just before or just after he scored.

The midfield were one touch passing it around like Barcelona.
Gillinghams midfield were literally chasing shadows as the ball was there, then it was gone.

It came to Sharp on the edge of the area and he hit it just pass the post.
For me that build up would have been shown on YouTube for years.

Coutts being weak as piss for their 1st goal is the bit that annoys me.

Exactly, and any other clubs fans would treasure him. Not here though, oh no.

Let's be fair about this.
Some of his early season performances have deserved criticism but he's come through it and delivering.
Also he earns me respect because even when playing poorly he still works really hard.

No player is ever great and conversely rarely is a player terrible.
The truth usually lies somewhere in between.

Coutts being weak as piss for their 1st goal is the bit that annoys me.

I had a great view of it sat in the upper tier near that goal.

He got caught the wrong side of the defender.
Was about to make a challenge but pulled out.
Wise move from Coutts because any challenge would have resulted in a penalty and a probable sending off.
Most players don't think and would have put In challenge giving away a penalty and possibly down to 10 men.

As things stand Sharp's on for at least 25 goals, but probably closer to 30 at this rate. That's to be celebrated and shows what Billy can achieve in a decent side. If we do manage to find a partner for Sharp we may well get a season or two more from Sharp, not necessarily scoring quite so many but still effective and able to contribute to Wilder's plans.

Lovely well worked goal and great finish. You can also see me celebrating behind the goal with the red jacket on and arms aloft

I had a great view of it sat in the upper tier near that goal.

He got caught the wrong side of the defender.
Was about to make a challenge but pulled out.
Wise move from Coutts because any challenge would have resulted in a penalty and a probable sending off.
Most players don't think and would have put In challenge giving away a penalty and possibly down to 10 men.
Disagree. I think he just got out muscled. It was 50/50 who was going to get that ball and Coutts wasn't anywhere near strong enough. He could have won the ball without fouling the man quite easily.

As things stand Sharp's on for at least 25 goals, but probably closer to 30 at this rate. That's to be celebrated and shows what Billy can achieve in a decent side. If we do manage to find a partner for Sharp we may well get a season or two more from Sharp, not necessarily scoring quite so many but still effective and able to contribute to Wilder's plans.

The good thing about Sharp is that he's never had pace, so as he gets older that's not a loss.

The other thing about Sharp is he needs setting up, playing the ball to his feet.
If we play to his strengths then I think he still has a few years in him and can still do a job at Championship level.

Indeed we did move it quicker and it was nice to see - Gills were attempting to close down, but here we out did them.

What really annoys me, is we play too slowly at the start of games. It's not a case of moving it quicker all the time (as you can't) but we should be doing this much earlier in the game.

UTB

Indeed we did move it quicker and it was nice to see - Gills were attempting to close down, but here we out did them.

What really annoys me, is we play too slowly at the start of games. It's not a case of moving it quicker all the time (as you can't) but we should be doing this much earlier in the game.

UTB

I agree, I've seen this with so many teams, it's as if the light goes on when there's 15 minutes remaining, and often that's far too little too late to have a serious effect on a game. It must be down to attitude, and this needs to be addressed as quickly as possible.

I agree, I've seen this with so many teams, it's as if the light goes on when there's 15 minutes remaining, and often that's far too little too late to have a serious effect on a game. It must be down to attitude, and this needs to be addressed as quickly as possible.

well surely - it's not rocket science. Considering CW's attitude to telling the players about long throws before Saturday - I just wonder whether we are a bit - big time charlies.

Hopefully his outburst will have done some good - lets hope we see it tonight as I think we are really going to be "on it" tonight.

UTB

well surely - it's not rocket science. Considering CW's attitude to telling the players about long throws before Saturday - I just wonder whether we are a bit - big time charlies.

Hopefully his outburst will have done some good - lets hope we see it tonight as I think we are really going to be "on it" tonight.

UTB

There was no criticism intended of CW in my post. Perhaps he adopts the attitude that by treating players like adults they'll respond in kind. Of course, if he feels that he's being let down then I've no doubt he'll dispense a bollocking to all and sundry, so let's hope this has the desired effect.

Sharp is our Rooney. Everyone who actually knows about football, those who've made a living playing and managing, rate him while others point out 'weaknesses' to try to prove he's crap and to perpetuate their personal fantasy that they are hugely knowledgable.

Disagree. I think he just got out muscled. It was 50/50 who was going to get that ball and Coutts wasn't anywhere near strong enough. He could have won the ball without fouling the man quite easily.

Plus, a foul (unless deliberate) would presumably have been more likely to result in a booking than a red under the removal of the triple-punishment rule this season. Fear of a red card from making a legitimate attempt to tackle a player in the penalty area should be a thing of the past.

Sharp has scored some great goals already this season. My favourites were the one at home to Shrewsbury - great finish after a great ball from Fleck. The first one against Oldham. I don't know if Duffy meant to play it the way he did but it was a fantastic touch if he did, and Sharp's finish was superb on the half volley. The first one away to Shrewsbury was a fantastic shot too.

Back
Top Bottom