Shamelessly positive question!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeInBC

Reaction score
Hello those who are in the know when it comes to the young 'uns.

The U21s and (from the limited amount of information my memory contains) the U18s seem to be doing well this season.
What's the difference between them and the seniors? Is it the coach (Chris Morgan) or do we have a good setup for the kids? Are they hungry and eager unlike the overpaid seniors?

What can we take from the successful lads and promote to the senior team?

Hello those who are in the know when it comes to the young 'uns.

The U21s and (from the limited amount of information my memory contains) the U18s seem to be doing well this season.
What's the difference between them and the seniors? Is it the coach (Chris Morgan) or do we have a good setup for the kids? Are they hungry and eager unlike the overpaid seniors?

What can we take from the successful lads and promote to the senior team?

Wasn't that David Weir's brief?

Long term project, look how patiently our fans were shaping up under Weir.

He would have been in the job 3 years now, would we have been worse off?

On the face of it the prince has wasted his £13m up to now, apart from £1m on the pitch.

Weir has done well as Warburton's No.2 and even Carsley has just had a great run with Brentford as caretaker manager.

Funny old game but youth development is a long term project and you lose the best products of it far too early. Bit of this and a bit of that is the current approach I suppose but definitely not enough break through and stay with us.

On the face of it the prince has wasted his £13m up to now, apart from £1m on the pitch.

Weir has done well as Warburton's No.2 and even Carsley has just had a great run with Brentford as caretaker manager.

Funny old game but youth development is a long term project and you lose the best products of it far too early. Bit of this and a bit of that is the current approach I suppose but definitely not enough break through and stay with us.
Unfortunately part of his brief was winning some first team games

Unfortunately Weir was wank as a manager.

If Clough hadn't upset so many people we'd now be in the top two and the youth would have been readying their selves for a steady introduction to the first team.

I had the misfortune to witness most of the games Weir had in charge. Ten league games 5 points and 6 goals I think. He also managed to squeeze in a couple of cup defeats .

Hopelessly out of their depth in games and sometimes cowardly performances.

He was rightly sacked for being useless and this saved us from relegation.

I assume you appreciate the difference between a manager and a number 2?

So what has Weir being a good no2 to Warburton got to do with his abject failure as a manager?

Weir was awful. I was willing to accept a long-term plan with a ground-up rebuild at that time, but any long-term plan that begins with squeezing all creativity and positivity out of the play is not one for me.

We actually produce decent players. Our academy is one of the best in the UK and I'm surprised we don't utilise it more.

We used to produce decent players but the last one was Maguire. Show us the proof that our Academy is one of the best in the country (was that before EPPP came into force and before we were downgraded to category 2?)

We used to produce decent players but the last one was Maguire. Show us the proof that our Academy is one of the best in the country (was that before EPPP came into force and before we were downgraded to category 2?)

I think we are playing at a level where we can actually nurture the talent we have. If we were still in the Championship I am sure 99% of our acadamy would be farmed out on loan to League 1, League 2 teams or below. Some of the players we have are already being farmed out to League 2 and if that is the case why not give them more of a chance in our first team?

When we last fielded a first team squad in the league with the average age of about 17 we won the match 1-0.

Or...we could just wait til J Wallace gets fit.

I think we are playing at a level where we can actually nurture the talent we have. If we were still in the Championship I am sure 99% of our acadamy would be farmed out on loan to League 1, League 2 teams or below. Some of the players we have are already being farmed out to League 2 and if that is the case why not give them more of a chance in our first team?

When we last fielded a first team squad in the league with the average age of about 17 we won the match 1-0.

Or...we could just wait til J Wallace gets fit.
I think it's due to the expectation of promotion. Managers always seem to stick with senior players when they feel promotion is a necessity and I worry about how the mixed messages I suspect our managers get affects their own judgement.

I don't think the club has clear objectives, just a wish list that is, at times, contradictory.

If we had a clear strategy we wouldn't be lurching from Weir to Clough to Adkins.

I think it's due to the expectation of promotion. Managers always seem to stick with senior players when they feel promotion is a necessity and I worry about how the mixed messages I suspect our managers get affects their own judgement.

I don't think the club has clear objectives, just a wish list that is, at times, contradictory.

If we had a clear strategy we wouldn't be lurching from Weir to Clough to Adkins.

Managers probably stick with the seniors that they've brought in to make a point: "I didn't make a mistake." But when it comes to players that they didn't bring in surely replacing them with a kid who's showing potential might uncover a gem.
However, there must be an element of protection too. If I was NA I wouldn't want to put one of the kids into the mix in the atmosphere they face right now.

It's a HUGE step up from youth to senior obviously otherwise more players would make it. Which of our current youth would break into the first team ahead of these men who are "not fit to wear the shirt?" The answer can't be "all of them!"

My dad went to Bramall lane to watch the u21s in the youth cup when they lost to Leeds. His comment was that there was noone on the pitch that had impressed him which he found a little disconcerting. There's usually someone who stands out, but not that night.

I asked a well known Blade from Handsworth, who goes to all u21, u18 and development u21 and u18 games, home and away, a similar question a few weeks back and he reckons the cupboard's bare at the minute with regards to any of them being ready for the first team. When I saw the u21 dev team against Chessie the one lad who stood out was a young 'un on the wing, don't remember his name, but was quick with a decent touch and could pick a pass.

I asked a well known Blade from Handsworth, who goes to all u21, u18 and development u21 and u18 games, home and away, a similar question a few weeks back and he reckons the cupboard's bare at the minute with regards to any of them being ready for the first team. When I saw the u21 dev team against Chessie the one lad who stood out was a young 'un on the wing, don't remember his name, but was quick with a decent touch and could pick a pass.
Is he including the loanees in that assessment? DCL and Khan must stand a chance of being good enough for this league surely? It's a step up but not huge, particularly for DCL.
Or does he mean we haven't got any Kyle types, destined for the top level?

My dad went to Bramall lane to watch the u21s in the youth cup when they lost to Leeds. His comment was that there was noone on the pitch that had impressed him which he found a little disconcerting. There's usually someone who stands out, but not that night.
I went to one u21s match last season (v Crewe), got bored and left with half hour left. I used to watch a lot of reserves matches and some Academy matches.

Well there is patience, which I am all for, and then there is stupidity. Based on the performances under Weir (and his apparent inability to even understand or explain what was wrong) giving him 3 years would have been a case of the latter.

Well there is patience, which I am all for, and then there is stupidity. Based on the performances under Weir (and his apparent inability to even understand or explain what was wrong) giving him 3 years would have been a case of the latter.

I'm definitely not in favour of sacking NA but what's the difference? (Admittedly I don't get to any games to watch live since the early Warnock years!)

I'm definitely not in favour of sacking NA but what's the difference? (Admittedly I don't get to any games to watch live since the early Warnock years!)
For a start the actual results under Weir were far far worse (won 1 drew 3 lost 9). Also he didn't have any managerial experience so no evidence available that he would be able to turn it round and it showed in his interviews where he looked in shock and appeared to have given up. Despite us not being where we want to be right now no one can surely question Adkins in terms of experience and promotion successes on his CV.

Back
Top Bottom