Set play/crosses.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We are much better at defending them as well, I guess having 3 CBs helps

Ironic that we scored from a terrible corner yesterday, but I agree that we've looked so much more threatening.

Good delivery + players attacking the ball = goals.

Ironic that we scored from a terrible corner yesterday, but I agree that we've looked so much more threatening.

Good delivery + players attacking the ball = goals.
Both pinpoint crosses for Billy's goals though.Thought the quickly taken free kick was excellent.
We are working some superb set pieces of late,the one at Scunthorpe springs to mind.
We never had a clue with set play last term

The best acquisitions I can recall for many a year. Not cost us a fortune, at least to my knowledge, and the way the new and old players have dovetailed is testimony to the manager's judgement. Well done Wilder and Knill, and well done those players who realised that coming to the Blades was the place to be. Long may this continue UTB

Our free kicks, corners,counter attacking crosses have improved 99%compared to the last few seasons.
It's making a humongous difference getting quality balls into dangerous areas.
Well done on the training techniques gaffer. Fantastic.
I remember when Blackwell took over there was talk of him bringing some inventive set play routines because we had a couple when he and Warnock were at United before, when he was manager though he didn't do that....

Just watched the goals from yesterday - the quick thinking Duffy (?) to whip the freekick in hard and low for Billy's 2nd caught Bradford off guard, But also Billy's alertness to get to the ball. I'm the first to say that Billy has no pace, but he was 4-5 yards ahead of his marker by the time he finished for his 2nd... Pace isn't always about 10,20 or 30 yard sprints, sometimes its speed of thought and anticipation

I'm the first to say that Billy has no pace, but he was 4-5 yards ahead of his marker by the time he finished for his 2nd... Pace isn't always about 10,20 or 30 yard sprints, sometimes its speed of thought and anticipation

I agree. Billy is never going to be the quickest lad in the squad over a 50 yard sprint, but he has pace in abundance in his goalscoring reactions. I mentioned on a previous thread the other day that Billys disallowed goal against Port Vale looked well offside but when i slowed the footage down he was level when the ball was headed to him. He looked well offside though as he was way ahead of his markers when he was putting the ball in the net and was on the move looking for the ball coming his way. I could understand the decision to disallow the 'goal' (though it should have stood) cos in this instance his quick reactions made him look like he had strayed offside. His reactions actually worked against him as he was too quick for the officials.

None of this zonal mathematical bollocks Adkins tried to come up with, none of Clough's midgets - just put the ball in the area and let your big players attack it and the others pick up the scraps. It's not rocket science.

Top marks to Knill and Wilder both. Knill I believe does the coaching of set pieces unless I'm completely mistaken but Wilder has clearly cited it as a weakness and got them to work on it. Brilliant.

I agree. Billy is never going to be the quickest lad in the squad over a 50 yard sprint, but he has pace in abundance in his goalscoring reactions. I mentioned on a previous thread the other day that Billys disallowed goal against Port Vale looked well offside but when i slowed the footage down he was level when the ball was headed to him. He looked well offside though as he was way ahead of his markers and was on the move looking for the ball coming his way. I could understand the decision to disallow the 'goal' (though it should have stood) cos in this instance his quick reactions made him look like he had strayed offside. His reactions actually worked against him the as he was too quick for the officials.

I've said it for a while now, but one of my criticisms of JCR was that he delivered the balls he wanted to, not the balls that the strikers wanted. Finally it seems that the balls in from the wingers are exactly where Billy and Done want them...

And you're right, some of the decisions are often excusable if the movement is so good. The ref/ Lino yesterday could've been forgiven if they disallowed Billy's second as he was that quick to get 4-5 yards on the Centre Half.

The big plus at the moment is that Corners, freekicks, open play are all capable of causing problems. I think yesterday was 9 shots on target against 2nd in the league.

It's was fleck who. took the free kick for the 2nd goal great training ground routine, quick free kick caught there defence ball watching
with Duffy the decoy who I think Bradford thought was going to take the kick,credit to Alan Knill.

I've said it for a while now, but one of my criticisms of JCR was that he delivered the balls he wanted to, not the balls that the strikers wanted. Finally it seems that the balls in from the wingers are exactly where Billy and Done want them...

And you're right, some of the decisions are often excusable if the movement is so good. The ref/ Lino yesterday could've been forgiven if they disallowed Billy's second as he was that quick to get 4-5 yards on the Centre Half.

The big plus at the moment is that Corners, freekicks, open play are all capable of causing problems. I think yesterday was 9 shots on target against 2nd in the league.
We nearly did them straight after half time but although Billy put it away I think he maybe moved just too early and it was ruled out, close decision though.

We nearly did them straight after half time but although Billy put it away I think he maybe moved just too early and it was ruled out, close decision though.
Yeah saw that, cracking finish...

Think we need to accept that we'll get goals disallowed, but it just means that we need to make sure we take all the chances and leave it to the officials to decide.

Took a short corner against Port Vale. Think it was that brilliant shot by Chapman near the end that if it had have been a goal we'd be talking about it as the best of the 11.

The best acquisitions I can recall for many a year. Not cost us a fortune, at least to my knowledge, and the way the new and old players have dovetailed is testimony to the manager's judgement. Well done Wilder and Knill, and well done those players who realised that coming to the Blades was the place to be. Long may this continue UTB

and when you consider Wilder wouldn't be held to ransom over valuations it's even more incredible.

I can never quite understand why teams don't seem to work harder in training on different methods of delivery of corners. Playing with wing backs getting to the bye line there are numerous opportunities of winning corners. The law of averages dictates that one or more of those different methods will result in a goal.

Nowadays you see the corner taker raise one or two arms as if he's indicating a particular ploy and it results in nothing.

Going back to the 70's we seem to score numerous goals from Woody's corners. Gil, TC, Eddie, Billy all contributing.

Yeah saw that, cracking finish...

Think we need to accept that we'll get goals disallowed, but it just means that we need to make sure we take all the chances and leave it to the officials to decide.

The goals we've had ruled out so far have all been marginal decisions (but probably fair ones, aside from one). The good sign for me is that it's obvious we're split seconds away from scoring these. One player I used to hate playing against was Robert Earnshaw. He'd be caught offside a few times each game, or the through balls would be just slightly off, but you knew that it was a matter of time before the ball found its way through, and he beat the offside, and the goal was coming. That's what I like about some of our play right now. You know that if we keep crafting those positions that Sharp's going to beat the trap once or twice like he did with Fleck's free kick.

I can never quite understand why teams don't seem to work harder in training on different methods of delivery of corners. Playing with wing backs getting to the bye line there are numerous opportunities of winning corners. The law of averages dictates that one or more of those different methods will result in a goal.

Nowadays you see the corner taker raise one or two arms as if he's indicating a particular ploy and it results in nothing.

Going back to the 70's we seem to score numerous goals from Woody's corners. Gil, TC, Eddie, Billy all contributing.

I fondly remember the Stancliffe flick on corners in the 80s.

Things are good and better than they used to be, when they used to be pretty bad. I am glad that they are better now and not as bad as they used to be, it's good.

Back
Top Bottom