Second rate premiership teams.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From the pig end

Reaction score
I rushed around Monday for the Man United-Liverpool game and now I've planned my whole night to watch City-Barca.
Where are their commanding British keepers? Their black beast center half? Their flying wing backs? Their Scottish playmaker? Their home grown goal machines? And not forgetting a manager who lives and breathes the club?
It's just second rate bollocks, roll on Saturday for some real entertainment.

I rushed around Monday for the Man United-Liverpool game and now I've planned my whole night to watch City-Barca.
Where are their commanding British keepers? Their black beast center half? Their flying wing backs? Their Scottish playmaker? Their home grown goal machines? And not forgetting a manager who lives and breathes the club?
It's just second rate bollocks, roll on Saturday for some real entertainment.
I agree entirely. But if they haven't got a badge on their chest that says.... Sheffield United FC, 1889.... I simply don't give a fuck and would sooner watch "Bake Off"

I've lost pretty much all interest in the bloated, corpulent Premier League and Champions League. The Premiership clubs are all now foreign owned businesses geared up to make as much money as they can to make shareholder profit, make multi millionaires out of mediocre players, and line the pockets of the greedy, shyster agents, I want fuck all to do with it all.

Nowadays I refuse to talk football with anyone who I suspect is a Premier League consumer, as the game I follow and the game they profess to follow are two very different beasts.

I would be sad if we made it to the Prem and stopped prioritising British buys, but it seems you have to to stay up these days...
I still think that's down to your manager and owner. Man City were basically a Spanish side tonight and that did them no favours, all though they did roll over and die like a Adkins team.
I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm so proud that we've got our fight and desire back.p

Not including United, I think I've only watched one match on TV this season. Liverpool v Newton Heath the other night, and that was terrible. I just don't have any interest in other football anymore. I quite like the Europa League but the games are always on a Thursday and I'm always out.

I like football in general...I'll normally watch owt that's on telly, and I was initially gutted when the Champions League became BT sport exclusive. BUT...I've realised that nothing quite compares to being at BDTBL and watching United. Sure, I'll still watch owt that my (disgustingly expensive) sky package allows me to, but it will never be the same as being at the lane.

Fuck the fancy-dan prima donnas and all their attendant bullshit...give me the Blades vs anyone and I know where I'll be. Real entertainment is watching the club that is in your heart and soul, win, lose or draw. I'll never understand these "fans" that would swap a world cup win for seeing their team win the league, or the FA Cup, or even the league cup. I'd happily go the rest of my life seeing ING-ER-LUND fail in every tournament they play, just to see United in a cup final, even once.

*disclaimer - this post was sponsored by Jack Daniels.

As much as I hate the bureaucracy and corruption of UEFA FIFA, the ridiculous in your face sponsorship etc I'd still like to think that one day we might have our time in Europe (in the next 50 years probably not but you never know). And then again I think there's something about freezing cold Tuesday nights at the lane against "lesser" opposition and long journeys on away days to smaller towns. As unlikely as it seems currently, would we ever really want 50,000 tourists filming matches with their iPads? Knock off united shirts on every market abroad and the wet atmosphere of old Trafford and the emirates? What really brought this home was couple of seasons ago when the champions league final was at Wembley the attendance was 90,000 with 20,000 tickets each given to Dortmund and Bayern. An absolute joke and showed exactly what the champions league is all about greed and money.I feel stupid saying this as we enjoy our sixth season in the depths of the third division (although I'm confident Wilder is the man ) but how much success would be too much?

It's a strange one with me.

If United are doing well like now, I can't get enough football and I will watch anything that I have the time to watch live or recorded on Sky+. On the other hand if we are poor like most of last season, I tend to hardly watch any, even deleting auto recorded programs like Match of the Day and the old Foolball League Show without watching them. At the back end of last season (thanks in the main to the magic of Adkins), I don't think I watched any football on the box for weeks.

I suppose it shows just how much the Blades fortunes can affect the way we behave, and how football is more than just a game to a lot of fans. I could have a crap season's fishing but I'd still watch it on the box. ;)

Not including United, I think I've only watched one match on TV this season.

Funny that. As a result of my annual Broadband/Phone switch (sponsored to the tune of well over 100 notes by TopCashBack.com) I've ended up with BT this season. That comes with a FREE sport package which includes the 5:30pm Premier League game on a Saturday and various other Scottish/None League games throughout the week.
So far this season I've actually tuned in to about 30 mins of a Conference game and that's been it. Take United out of the equation and I really couldn't care less anymore.

I don't mean to BUMP my post, but man United are grim to watch nowadays.

I don't mind watching Championship games but watching the PL is fucking dire, imo. I find it boring and soulless. When I was a kid, Match of the Day was a must watch, now I don't care, if it's on, I might watch a game or two. But there is something about lower league football which is pure and which I love. Maybe I would have more interest in the PL if the Blades got back there, we'll have to wait and see.

Was talking to stringsenior the other day about the Premier League and actually whether we want United to get there. We're still undecided....
60 quid to watch Utd struggle away in a shitty corner of Goodison Park , getting abused by coppers after paying 10 quid to park at Sunderland or.... £23 at Shrewsbury , decent view ,Utd attacking ,pint in the Brooklands 500 yards from the ground. I know exactly what you mean ,suppose the Championship could be the compromise.

60 quid to watch Utd struggle away in a shitty corner of Goodison Park , getting abused by coppers after paying 10 quid to park at Sunderland or.... £23 at Shrewsbury , decent view ,Utd attacking ,pint in the Brooklands 500 yards from the ground. I know exactly what you mean ,suppose the Championship could be the compromise.

Spot on for last time we were there. Refused to pay over the odds and ended up at three away games all season.

However, if we can get there whilst the current cap on away prices is still in place, then it might be more affordable than the Championship.

My mates dad is an absolute diehard and he said to me "why do I want to get promoted? The ticket prices will go up and we will lose more."
I understand him a bit because he doesn't miss an away game so it must cost him a bomb but I'm a natural competitor I want to play the best. I want to play at massive stadiums and in front of big crowds. I want to feel like underdogs again.
It takes more than just a few good squads to become an established premiership team though now, Southampton get stripped of their best players(like we do) every year but seem to get stronger for it.
From top to bottom your club needs to be perfect to have a good 4 or 5 years up there.

Brooklands?
Bloody Hell - I could have been standing next to you, Sitters :eek:

This ^^^

I'll watch any football, whatever level, there are good and bad games at any level not just the Premiership,we have experienced quite a number of those watching the Blades over the last few years. We certainly need to be at Championship level that's a given, is the Premiership attainable don't think so with our two current owners they haven't got the wherewithal but we have to strive to get there.

Back
Top Bottom