Scoreline connotations on Wednesday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ilovesufc

Reaction score
This sort of thing doesn't usually confuse me but I've got myself in a right muddle about the away goals rule for the cup game - mainly after reading the official guidelines on the rules!
So away goals count double. But is this only in the event of the final scoreline being a draw on aggregate, or do they count double full stop? So if we win 3-1on the night making it 3-2 on aggregate, does that mean the actual final score is 3-2 or 3-3? Need to get my head round this before tomorrow!

This sort of thing doesn't usually confuse me but I've got myself in a right muddle about the away goals rule for the cup game - mainly after reading the official guidelines on the rules!
So away goals count double. But is this only in the event of the final scoreline being a draw on aggregate, or do they count double full stop? So if we win 3-1on the night making it 3-2 on aggregate, does that mean the actual final score is 3-2 or 3-3? Need to get my head round this before tomorrow!

If scores on aggregate are level at 90 minutes then extra time - no away goals.

If scores on aggregate are level at 120 minutes then away goals count double.

Win 2-1 then we are out.

Win 1-0 and its pens.

win 5-0 and away goals can go to hell.

Thanks! I've totally confused myself on the rule. I do realise it's pretty simple really ha ha!

If we can keep it tight for the first half I can see a long night ahead, if they score early then a pretty easy win for them.

In layman's terms...

If we win by a 1 goal that isn't 1-0 we will go out AET on away goals. If we win 1-0 it will be pens AET.

i.e. Spurs will have scored more away goals than us because we didn't score.

I don't like that phrase 'count double'. It's misleading when taken out of context.

If we're level on aggregate at 90 mins, it's definitely extra time. If after extra time it's 1-1 on aggregate, it's penalties. If it's 2-2 or more the spurs win on away goals.

Or if we win 1-0 in 90mins, then both us and Spurs score once in e.t we're out. For me this is the unfair bit as Spurs have technically had 120 mins to score an way goal, whereas we only had 90 mins

Or if we win 1-0 in 90mins, then both us and Spurs score once in e.t we're out. For me this is the unfair bit as Spurs have technically had 120 mins to score an way goal, whereas we only had 90 mins

Ah yes, but we've had an extra 30 minutes playing in front of our home fans.

Back
Top Bottom