Sat back or keeping it in the corner?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...which do people prefer?

because I know at 1-0 up into stoppage time, I'm not going to be booing Bob Harris for deciding to take it into the corner rather than cross to an empty box.

I'd rather that, than us be sat deep and inviting the opposition on.

because I know at 1-0 up into stoppage time, I'm not going to be booing Bob Harris for deciding to take it into the corner rather than cross to an empty box.

Agree completely foxy, but was the frustration boiling from starting doing it 10 mins earlier?

I'm away so only picked up snippets on the shout box.

UTB

It seems it's "professional" when on MotD and "Shit" when at Bramall Lane to some supporters.

I would rather see the ball in the corner of the oppositions half than seeing them descend en-mass in to our area.

• Admin
Agree completely foxy, but was the frustration boiling from starting doing it 10 mins earlier?

UTB

They started a little early, but not ridiculously so.

Crawley Town started wasting time during the first half.

I did grumble about it when we was doing it in the 86th minute, but then I would've grumbled more if we recklessly lost possession and conceded an equaliser!!

3 of the back 4 were strangers to us (and each other) until July. In hindsight the players did a professional job to absorb some pressure further up the pitch for them. An average performance, a good result & a clean sheet. I'll take that every single game.

won 1-0 , another 35 of those will do me . can play 3000 minutes in the corner providing we get 3 points

in top half of league in august , 8 months earlier than last season

teams like crawley come with a game plan to get a point and try and snatch a win on the break , , its hard work sometimes to break this down

early days lots of new players got 2 wins in 5 days , , lets settle for that just now
lets be flamboyant when we are 10 points clear with 3 to play

, and pretend weve been brilliant

An empty box? I recall there being players in there, which it was so surprising to see Harris volte face into the corner. As alco says, the booing wasn't directed as Harris per se but was the inevitable result of a long period of terrible football. I feel sorry for the players as they were clearly only doing what Clough told them to.

We rode our luck at the end when the match should have been well won. Timewasting in that fashion is a dangerous tactic that too often goes awry. I sincerely hope that such negative football came from a desire to get a first home win to kick off the season, rather than something that will become a regular feature of our game.

• Admin
I think it's a sad day when we're taking it into the corner on 86 minutes to kill time in a game with CRAWLEY TOWN! They posed little threat and although it worked, I found it quite embarrassing.

Really, you were embarrassed that we did what the majority of teams do and chose to keep the ball and see out a win and a clean sheet?

Regardless of the opposition, I think it's a sad day when the players are booed and abused at 1-0 up.

I think it's a sad day when we're taking it into the corner on 86 minutes to kill time in a game with CRAWLEY TOWN! They posed little threat and although it worked, I found it quite embarrassing.

you never see man utd play in the corners or man ciy Im sure I have , the opposition is immaterial , all professional sides pose a threat theres no little clubs now , crawley finished top 10 last season , higher than bristol city dont see what your getting at

crawley won at barnsley ,, barnsley didnt get the chance to play into the corners

Quite and I think if their effort that was blocked on the line at 94 mins. had gone in, we might be having a different discussion.

Really, you were embarrassed that we did what the majority of teams do and chose to keep the ball and see out a win and a clean sheet?

Regardless of the opposition, I think it's a sad day when the players are booed and abused at 1-0 up.

I just think it's really negative at home to an average league one team, fair enough doing it 2 minutes into injury time but before 90 minutes? Don't agree with people booing though, that is quite stupid.

It's an act of cowards and an insult to anyone who has paid to watch a football match between two teams over 90 minutes.

The torrent of boos from a moronic minority was what I found embarrassing.

Our players ran the clock down for 8 minutes including 4 minutes extra time. Crawley barely had a kick in that time. Their one attack did not occur by cocking-up the keep ball either.

That said, we need to get to the point where we don't have to do it against the likes of Crawley (disrespect fully intended).

It's the same people who moan that we aren't still going for the jugular when we're 3-0 up with 10 minutes left. They will always find something to moan about.

It's an act of cowards and an insult to anyone who has paid to watch a football match between two teams over 90 minutes.
Really ? An act of cowards? Has someone stolen your account?

:)

UTB

Always found that pathetic mate.
As with many things, it's not black and white. There's a time and a place, and not being there I can't comment today.

It's all a bit fragile at the minute, and wins / momentum are the priority for me right now though. UTB

for me that's 2 wins with a team still getting to know each others game if it takes getting it in the corner to build up confidence and take us on a good run I am all for it

Means to an end. Right now, I'll take a win and bollocks to the grace and panache because that is how momentum is built.

More important to get some points on the board, a clean sheet, a bit of confidence and togetherness in a squad of strangers and in a few months time we may well be in a better position and out of sight in the 90th minute more often than not.

Do it with 30 seconds to go if needs be...not with nearly 10 bastarding minutes left, I've come to watch football - not that shite. If you really want to kill a game off do it with some flair and skill by actually passing the ball so the opposition can't get hold of it. I was embarrassed (not to the point of booing mind) and had have left if I had not been giving a lift to others!

Agree, I have always said the FIFA should introduce a new ruling to stop these time wasting antics such as award a corner for the opposition if the winning team holds the ball in the corners for more than 5 seconds

I'd far rather we had the ball down that end that surrendering two thirds of the pitch at let the opposition come on to us, as was our way last season.

That said, I'm not sure holding it in the corner with so long left on the clock is the wisest move, especially as like I said in another thread refs are prone to giving soft free kicks against teams who do so. More gallingly when we did play properly just after our first foray into the corner we opened them up and Davies missed a glaring opportunity to seal it.

I couldn't careless what we do with the ball as long as that score remains the same.

UTB

TBH it was 2.5mins plus 4 mins stoppage time.

I understand it in stoppage time but we were on top of the game anyway.

This is Sheff Utd at home to little fucking Crawly who ONLY had 5 players on the bench!!!!

Did anyone else notice ONLY 5 on the bench?

Do we not pay our money to be of so very slightly entertained or has this world gone completely bonkers?

How about trying to play proper football, get better as a team and therefore have the ability to kill off little minnows like Crawley before we get to 85 minutes on the clock.

What it showed today is that we have a massive problem putting the ball in the net.

UTB

Keep attacking, with balance of course. Sitting back invites the opposition, taking it into the corner tells them you're nervous and have no intention of having a pop at their goal.

Have to agree with both of these. Hated it, absolutely HATED it. Left a bitter taste in my mouth after a valuable win. We shouldn't have to go about it in that way. With 2 mins of stoppage time left I could accept. Not with almost 10 mins to go.

Back
Top Bottom