Sad anniversary for our boy Billy.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
I am more than confident that we are able to discuss this subject with the sensitivity that it requires on this forum.

Next Saturday's home game marks a very sad anniversary for Billy Sharp as the anniversary of the sad passing of his son Luey Jacob Sharp at just 2 days old which I am sure will make it a very tough day for the lad, i'm not totally sure but if the media are to be believed then it will be the 5th anniversary.

I suppose the main question being is there any way that we can show our support to Billy? It is hard to say whether it is even our place to show Billy our support and that we are thinking about him on this tough and saddening anniversary?

Instantly I turned to the LJS website as I was going to donate to the charity and encourage others to do the same however the site is down and appears to have been for a few weeks apparently.

What are the opinions of others?

I know there may be absolutely no time at all for Blades to come up with something like this... but something like this but in red and white and with LJS on it?

2833818019.jpg

i say we give his son a minutes applause at the start of the match spread it all over twitter facebook etc

My opinion, and only that, is that we should respect the privacy of the family at this time, allow them to remember in whatever way they so choose.

It should be respected as a personal, private matter, rather than played out in the public domain for dickheads like the Bradford fan to latch on to, with the inevitable outcome.

UTB

Not sure how I'd feel personally if I walked out and was greeted with a massive reminder of something like that.

It's a really nice idea, but honestly I wouldn't try and make it a big public thing.

Donate what you can, give him a massive reception when his name's read out and when he bags us a few, and leave it at that.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of us publically displaying acknowledgement of it. Even with the best intentions, it's too close to the bone.
He and his family will be grieving as it is.

Just get behind him like most of us already do. A bit of serenading from the Shoreham end will see him right.

Personally I'd love to hear the whole ground bellowing 'Billy Sharp, we've got Billy Sharp' at the start of the game.
We can show solidarity and make him feel loved without needing to be too specific.
Still brings tears to my eyes now thinking about the gut-wrenching look of passion for his son on his face when he revealed that T shirt.
Dios te bendiga Billy.

Having personally had experience simular to Billy, I would not want any extra attention from anywhere or anybody else apart from the people that were directly affected.
Things like this are personal and painful, and very difficult to explain to others who haven't been through it themselves.
If I were billy on Saturday, I'd have my thoughts that morning, have a cuddle with the wife and daughter (thank god we didn't end up childless) and get on that pitch and put the ball in the net for my son.

Perhaps just donating to the LJS foundation or buying a wristband would be the most dignified way to mark the anniversary.

Not that i'd wish to tell people how to think.

Personally I'd love to hear the whole ground bellowing 'Billy Sharp, we've got Billy Sharp' at the start of the game.
We can show solidarity and make him feel loved without needing to be too specific.
Still brings tears to my eyes now thinking about the gut-wrenching look of passion for his son on his face when he revealed that T shirt.
Dios te bendiga Billy.

You English speak is coming on bound and leap, amigo.
I agree with you whole heart

Agree with the sentiments here. It`s none of our business,we don`t know Billy or his family. Just really getting behind him and chanting his name will do. He`ll know what`s behind it if the support for him is much more vocal than usual. That`s enough.

Dios te bendiga Billy.
Agree ,we had 3 miscarriages ,which was terrible but to go full term and 2 days old must be horrible. Bought my LJS t shirt at the time and still buy t shirts from Dead Legacy now.

A very private and personal remembrance that should bring respected as such. As others have said, if you want to mark it make a donation to the foundation.

I agree it's a private matter, but I reckon clapping for a minute at the end of the game, regardless of a result, think he'd appreciate that gesture ...

I agree with most people here, let it be. The death of Luey Jacob hit me quite hard as my wife was seven months pregnant at the time and I was terrified for a few weeks that it could be me. The thought of it had my eyes glistening with tears every single time. Thankfully, as most people find, their baby boys or girls turn out just fine and my little princess was just that. Every time I see her proudly wearing her 10 SHARP shirt, it makes me think of how Billy coped with the death of that little lad. She has no idea of those emotions I felt - I cannot imagine the emotions that Billy and his wife must have gone through and still go through to this day. I'm sure Billy will have his own private tribute for his boy and a goal for him could be quite emotional as I suspect it will be for his memory. Showing him our support through singing his song will be enough and will spur him on to get the goal we would all love to see him get.

One of the many reasons I totally respect Billy Sharp over most players in the game, what a thing to have to deal with.

I think something similar happened to Harry Arter at Bournemouth.

It also happened to a girl I knew at work, what a horrendous day that was for her.

Life is cruel, but making the best out of it like setting up the foundation is a great way to go.

I have always found applause to mark the passing of a young child quite distasteful. Such a tragedy should be a solemn mark of respect.
But grief is a very private thing and being the model pro that he is, Billy wouldn't expect it.

Let's just play it low key but give Billy that extra bit of encouragement on the the day.

He'll know where we're coming from and appreciate it, our sympathy doesn't have to be in his face.

I was there for the launch of the charity Billy & Jade launched at Keepmoat, the strength of character he showed that night to get up and talk in front of a large audience which had quite a few footballers there was really quite something. He has my highest respect, his voice was undestandly wobbling at times but he made it through and got his message over.

How he managed to play football so soon after his son's passing I will never know.

I salute you Billy.

Seen talk on twitter of a minutes applause on 5 minutes. I would get behind that. Perhaps if a number of fans placed a bet on him to score with all proceeds going to the LJS Foundation if it came in? I remember someone putting a big bet on him for top scorer last season on the same basis and thought it was a nice gesture. Billy tweeted about the anniversary for all to see so I'm guessing it's not something he would discourage his fans from supporting him in.

Seen talk on twitter of a minutes applause on 5 minutes. I would get behind that. Perhaps if a number of fans placed a bet on him to score with all proceeds going to the LJS Foundation if it came in? I remember someone putting a big bet on him for top scorer last season on the same basis and thought it was a nice gesture. Billy tweeted about the anniversary for all to see so I'm guessing it's not something he would discourage his fans from supporting him in.
But the anniversary was the other day. If people want to show support they could send a card to the club, privately.

Everyone deals with these situations differently, the safest way for me is to leave it alone. If Sharp had indicated that he didn't mind the applause then obviously that'd change things but surely we should just let him get on with things his own way.

Back
Top Bottom