Sacked for missing out on promotion?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade56

Yer avin a laff
Reaction score
now I walk in the shadow of the Valley of Death
All the tinternet reporters, radio reports and newspapers are saying he was sacked for missing out on promotion and we are a sacking club!

We might get more detail in the fullness of time but this is IMO an assumption.

From what we have heard it appears NC was staying but like the fans I would imagine the board were not pleased about
- basic structural errors in the team,
- expenditure of £3m down the plug hole on small average Scottish players and the beard
- his lack of attacking play that might have caused a drop in bums on seats next season
- a stubborn attitude and
- a poor run of results at the end of the season.

The headline of sacked for "not winning promotion" is a bit of lazy journalism that might put off candidates.

We are always quick to critisize the board so let's wait for the facts about the reasons for his departure, there are two sides to every story.

It wound me up reading the media's take on his sacking, 90% of them haven't seen us play under Nigel outside of Sky Sports where our performances have been mostly good. Although I don't necessarily agree with sacking him, I can understand why and failing to reach promotion is only one of a handful of reasons.

Yes there is more to this sacking than not winning promotion, you don't do a promotional video if you are on your way out, maybe some team members had a say or even Morgan.

Good .hope this sends out a clear message to the next guy .if you are not up to the job do not apply
cup runs are self indulgent cv enhancing distractions

We've finally got a board i can get on board with

I am afraid this is yet and other case of united being a marmite club- ok we've got a big fan base but there's tons more people out there that hate us than love us and that applies to the media as well.
I agree that had any of these so called experts watched the general fayre that we've been served up ( cup runs aside) and also been party to the issues surrounding the team this season they might just see it differently.
In any case I don't personally see a lot wrong with the headline if that was NC primary objective which I believe it was . If so we failed end of.
Don't think of this as football ... Think of it as work. A type of work that has cut throat consequences if you fail .
What the hell happens if we have another david weir start next season I do not know !
On the one hand I feel for clough a bit but on the other you can't be as arrogant and stubborn as he was with someone else's money then expect it all to be sweet when it doesn't work.

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but clearly something changed, it could be any of the things that have been speculated on, bit I'm certain he was on course to be the manager next season.

Whispers going around that mc cable and the rest told him to play a more attacking style ie Spurs Bristol etc and he point blank refused.
Basically telling them it was his decision how to play.
Don't shoot the messenger I'm only passing on what I have heard.

Reactions: Dkc
My guess is that he was as arrogant and aloof with the management as he was with the players and the fans. Not very endearing unless you succeed, which he didn;t.

I'd say that there's a very good chance he would have succeeded next season - more chance than yet another new manager. Now we'll never know. Agreed, he could have dug his own grave.

Whispers going around that mc cable and the rest told him to play a more attacking style ie Spurs Bristol etc and he point blank refused.
Basically telling them it was his decision how to play.
Don't shoot the messenger I'm only passing on what I have heard.

But it was his decision, wasn't it? He'd been given full control over the playing side.

Good .hope this sends out a clear message to the next guy .if you are not up to the job do not apply
cup runs are self indulgent cv enhancing distractions

We've finally got a board i can get on board with
amen mate.. amen.. have a super like

I'd say that there's a very good chance he would have succeeded next season - more chance than yet another new manager. Now we'll never know. Agreed, he could have dug his own grave.

I don't understand this why of thinking. He was planning to recruit Davies or COG and he'd already signed McEverley in what world would an almost identical team of failures suddenly turn into winners?

Are all the other teams not going to have big lads in the middle? Or double up on Murphy? Or sit 10 men behind the ball? Or have speculative shots from 20 yards? Or get any corners at all?

It was destined to be exactly the same as the season just gone and you are dreaming to think otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom