Sack the manager! It's worked out well so many times before...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tray

Hopeless optimist
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that this is the lowest I've felt as a Blade. Only been watching for 15/16 years, so I've been blessed with some great times. I'm so glad I didn't have to see us go down to the fourth tier cause I can only imagine what that felt like at the time.

Today, at 4-1 down to Shrewsbury at home, my "clapper" spirit was broken, could barely get myself out of my seat for our second goal. I always look for the positives but today they were few and far between.

However, sacking Adkins is categorically not the answer. If we get rid, then we start the cycle all over again; we can't even think about it. We need some stability. Now the only sacking of recent years I was "happy" about was Robson. All the others, from Blackwell to Clough, I have had my doubts about. The regime after each sacked manager has somehow managed to make me think I was wrong is backing the previous manager as somehow each new manager has made an impact within a few months. Eventually we as a fan base lose faith in this next manager and the cycle repeats itself. It has reached the point where we need to stick with one man, get behind him, and accept that to rebuild we need to take a step backwards. We have tried many managers at this level, none longer than a couple of seasons. I'm as desperate as anyone to get out of this league but chopping and changing has so far proved to be ineffective.

It is very dark at the moment, but a new manager is only going to face the same problems, and ultimately the same fate, as all that have come before since 2008. This set of players have something missing, that something I believe is desire. We all (well most of us) thought that this season was our season. It hasn't been the case, but I feel that by sticking with one man in charge, a man that has got out of this division more than once, we can build a team to dig ourselves out of this pit.

Up the Blades.

I've been watching the club since 1988. I honestly do not think that in all that time we've been in as big a mess as we are in now.

The thing is, everyone says it's not the manager's fault, it's the players. But I've seen all of those players put in decent enough performances in the past. Adkins is completely failing to make the best of what he's got.

If we have a mass clear-out of players, we need to bring in some new ones and Adkins has been a disaster as far as recruitment goes so far. Most of his signings are players he's had before with a couple of years and the odd serious injury on the clock. Only Sharp has done anything remotely worthwhile and even then, now he's badly out of form, he's more undroppable than Wayne Rooney, while the players Adkins has shipped out are scoring elsewhere. Is this the man you want to be in charge of building us a new squad?

We do need to give a manager and stick with him for a good length of time. But we shouldn't handicap ourselves by sticking with him for the sake of it. Adkins is repeating everything that Clough did to get sacked and adding some extra fuck-ups along the way. That's not the players' fault, that's not the board's fault, that's not the fans' fault, that's Nigel Adkins' fault.

However, sacking Adkins is categorically not the answer. If we get rid, then we start the cycle all over again

What cycle starts again? If you're talking about a new manager clearing out the old guy's players and bringing his guys in, then that's a failure of the board and not having a clear idea of where they want to go should that happen. Phipps has said that was part of the reason why Clough fucked up, Adkins is doing no better with his transfer dealings, and is clearly not doing a great deal in terms of producing results on the pitch. What possible harm could bringing a new manager in with the budget of one centre half in the JTW then reevaluate after a bunch of contracts expire in the summer do?

Tray, that's a very level-headed response. I wish I could be like that so soon after such a sorry performance.Thank your lucky stars you don't remember 1981 v Wallsall.

I've just got back home in Leicester and the red mist is starting to clear a little for me. Like everyone else I feel shit. A mixture of adrenaline and anger will no doubt keep me awake tonight which means I'll be tired and ratty at work tomorrow.

Realistically, calling for Adkins' head now will only perpetuate our sorry situation. We need to stick with him and rebuild the team with players that are actually worthy of wearing the shirt.

There are very few positives where Adkins is concerned but we have to give him longer to weed out the deadwood. My main worry is that on current form with us he will replace the deadwood with more crap. We should ban our managers from signing has beens that have played for them before

Back
Top Bottom