Sack the manager, does it work?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade56

Yer avin a laff
Reaction score
now I walk in the shadow of the Valley of Death
Derby went top of the championship beating rival contenders Hull 0-2 last night. They have fallen (not as far) as we have but appear unbeatable at the moment.

They had Clough and were a mediocre boring side, sacked him and for some unknown reason brought in McClaren a risky poor manager and were failing worse than Clough. Sacked him and brought in Clement and look at them now.

Is it sacking the manager that's turned their fortune around and would it work for us?

Derby went top of the championship beating rival contenders Hull 0-2 last night. They have fallen (not as far) as we have but appear unbeatable at the moment.

They had Clough and were a mediocre boring side, sacked him and for some unknown reason brought in McClaren a risky poor manager and were failing worse than Clough. Sacked him and brought in Clement and look at them now.

Is it sacking the manager that's turned their fortune around and would it work for us?
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/transfers/verein/22

Have a look at the players recruited versus players departed.

Player recruitment - not Sheffield United's strongest suit.

I for one don't like the rumbles about sacking Adkin's. Still think he is the one but as usual he has inherited a bigger problem than anyone realised and is having to clear up the cumulative effect of their efforts.

Think this season is written off and he needs to clear out the whole rotten bunch of gutless players then go for it.

One note of caution he has to avoid getting into a fight at the wrong end of the table or he might be next!

There are MANY sensible Derby fans who accepted Clough had issues (like with us) and played boring football (like us) but they are the very SAME fans who attributed Nigel Clough sorting out the crap that Derby had got themselves into.

From memory - hadn't Derby been relegated with a super low points score from the prem.

So, the above is in the defence of Clough - and yes, for me he should have had another year at BDTBL.

As for McClaren, he just carried on with Cloughs team and struggled as Adkins is at Utd. As for Clements at Derby - we are talking of the Assistant manager/Coach of one of the biggest football clubs in the world, and quite possibly it is the no 2 at a club that actually makes the team tick. No surprise then, that Derby have prospered under his tutelage.

As for changing managers - as above - IMHO a mistake changing from Clough (for all his issues, we are seeing the folly). Adkins needs to be given time - much more time.

It's all about the players.......our players as it stands are struggling to cope with the change and may never achieve Adkins change of regime.

We change/sack Adkins at our peril.

UTB

I for one don't like the rubble about sacking Adkin's. Still think he is the one but as usual he has inherited a bigger problem than anyone realised and is having to clear up the cumulative effect of their efforts.

Think this season is written off and he needs to clear out the whole rotten bunch of gutless players then go for it.

One note of caution he has to avoid getting into a fight at the wrong end of the table or he might be next!

I've touched on us suffering the effects of 'The Cloughover' before but I had no idea it'd be this bad.

Need a big response today and I've no reason to believe we have it in us.

I'm sure we've tried it before, it worked with Weir and Robson but they were a head coach and an alcoholic respectively rather than proper managers. The rest have lead to us being no further on/worse off than previous.

I still go back to Blackwell's sacking as the watershed moment, we'd have finish bottom half with him in charge but never would have got relegated in my opinion.

Shouldn't have sacked Warnock: Blackwell: Wilson or Clough. So probably shouldn't sack Adkins.

We need to CHANGE THE BOARD

Changing the manager tends to have more impact when you have good players.

Derby have good players.

No, but some time in the next two months I suspect we probably will do.

Shouldn't have sacked Warnock: Blackwell: Wilson or Clough. So probably shouldn't sack Adkins.

We need to CHANGE THE BOARD

Actually I agree with this. Although I would have sacked Warnock upon promotion because I always thought he would struggle in the Premiership (controvertial I know and hindsight is a great friend), I would have got rid of Blackwell at a better time, not when you just let him spunk any remaining cash up the wall and I wouldn't have sacked Wilson or Clough (like you say).

While our playing staff changes, our managers change with alarming regularity, the one thing that stays the same is the board and its inability to actually keep good players. Look at us historically, whenever we got better players in and didn't sell the good ones we got better, as soon as we started selling the good ones and replacing with shit we dropped down the leagues. As I see it this is really, really simple. We either get good players and a good manager and keep them or we will do this dance of death forever. There is a very real possibility we could drop down the league rather than go up it right now. We shouldn't have sold Quinn, we shouldn't have sold Blackman, we shouldn't have sold Beattie, we shouldn't have sold Deane, we shouldn't have sold Cockerill, we shouldn't have sold McGuire, we shouldn't have sold Edwards. We shouldn't have sold Murphy. Because if we hadn't done all those things we wouldn't be where we are.

We have had lots of watershed moments, but the last is when we got to the semi's of the facup and finished 7th after a shite start. All we needed to do was buy Coady, Brayford, a striker and keep Maguire. We went and brought in 15 mediocre at best players. All on the board and Clough I am afraid.

If people want to discuss Derby, the core of their team which lost their bottle at the end of last season were Clough players. His signings there and for us show us he has no idea.

Actually I agree with this. Although I would have sacked Warnock upon promotion because I always thought he would struggle in the Premiership (controvertial I know and hindsight is a great friend), I would have got rid of Blackwell at a better time, not when you just let him spunk any remaining cash up the wall and I wouldn't have sacked Wilson or Clough (like you say).

While our playing staff changes, our managers change with alarming regularity, the one thing that stays the same is the board and its inability to actually keep good players. Look at us historically, whenever we got better players in and didn't sell the good ones we got better, as soon as we started selling the good ones and replacing with shit we dropped down the leagues. As I see it this is really, really simple. We either get good players and a good manager and keep them or we will do this dance of death forever. There is a very real possibility we could drop down the league rather than go up it right now. We shouldn't have sold Quinn, we shouldn't have sold Blackman, we shouldn't have sold Beattie, we shouldn't have sold Deane, we shouldn't have sold Cockerill, we shouldn't have sold McGuire, we shouldn't have sold Edwards. We shouldn't have sold Murphy. Because if we hadn't done all those things we wouldn't be where we are.
Yep the list of players we should also never have sold is endless. For me, in my 60's, the list starts with Mick Jones.

We have had lots of watershed moments, but the last is when we got to the semi's of the facup and finished 7th after a shite start. All we needed to do was buy Coady, Brayford, a striker and keep Maguire. We went and brought in 15 mediocre at best players. All on the board and Clough I am afraid.

If people want to discuss Derby, the core of their team which lost their bottle at the end of last season were Clough players. His signings there and for us show us he has no idea.
This post is like a shining beacon of light in a thread of absolute shite

Back
Top Bottom